Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Morning folks! Prospective Stude owner here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morning folks! Prospective Stude owner here.

Hey guys

My name is Zack, and I am in Little Rock, Arkansas. I came across a nifty little 1966 Studebaker Cruiser 4-door the other day. It has a Hawk/283 Emblem on the side, and is an automatic. Still has the 8-track deck even! LOL

The interior is decent for its age, but the paint probably could use a really good compounding job, and there is some rust here and there. I know with MGBs that's a big turnoff, but all in all this is not a bad vehicle.

I can't seem to find a price guide that applies to this car. It runs and drives fine, and I just wanted to know what ballpark I am playing in.

Thanks for the help, and if I accquire, I hope to be an active community member.

Thanks!
    Zack

Price is really relevant to condition, but 4-door cars are valued much less than comparable two-doors. I have a 65 Cruiser and paid at bit over $6,000 for it, but it's virtually rust free and is in #3 condition. If yours has rusty areas, that's going to affect the value considerably.

Check out this thread:

There is still a ton of NOS sheetmetal available for this car. Last time I checked, front and rear fenders, doors, hood/trunk, front and rear valance was still available NOS from Sasco. So if it has rusty front fenders, those can be replaced easily and cheaply.

FYI, both 1965 and 1966 Studebakers were known (either lovingly or disgustingly) as Chevybakers. Yours has a 283 McKinnon V8 which was made by McKinnon industries for GM. It's your standard 283 small block Ch*vy engine so parts are easy to come by. Transmission is a Flight-o-matic 3 speed by Borg Warner (similar to the Fordomatic).

I drive my Cruiser everyday. They are fine driving automobiles. You'll love it.

Comment

Price is really relevant to condition, but 4-door cars are valued much less than comparable two-doors. I have a 65 Cruiser and paid at bit over $6,000 for it, but it's virtually rust free and is in #3 condition. If yours has rusty areas, that's going to affect the value considerably.

Check out this thread:

There is still a ton of NOS sheetmetal available for this car. Last time I checked, front and rear fenders, doors, hood/trunk, front and rear valance was still available NOS from Sasco. So if it has rusty front fenders, those can be replaced easily and cheaply.

FYI, both 1965 and 1966 Studebakers were known (either lovingly or disgustingly) as Chevybakers. Yours has a 283 McKinnon V8 which was made by McKinnon industries for GM. It's your standard 283 small block Ch*vy engine so parts are easy to come by. Transmission is a Flight-o-matic 3 speed by Borg Warner (similar to the Fordomatic).

I drive my Cruiser everyday. They are fine driving automobiles. You'll love it.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and don't feel bad I own 2 MGCGT's and 1 MGBGT myself.

Comment

Welcome to the forum, and don't feel bad I own 2 MGCGT's and 1 MGBGT myself.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser
            Yours has a 283 McKinnon V8 which was made by McKinnon industries for GM.
            Actually, Mckinnon Industries didn't make them FOR GM. They WERE GM. GM had purchased McKinnon Industries in 1929.

There is some evidence that NONE of the GM motors in 65-66 Studebakers were from the Mckinnon plant.

See chapter 6 of this...

http://www.autogeek.com/news/Studebaker.pdf#search='mckinnon%20general%20motors'

The Old Cars Price Guide lists these #'s for a '66 Cruiser

#1 $10300
            #2 $7210
            #3 $4640
            #4 $2060
            #5 $1236
            #6 $412

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 65cruiser
              Yours has a 283 McKinnon V8 which was made by McKinnon industries for GM.
              Actually, Mckinnon Industries didn't make them FOR GM. They WERE GM. GM had purchased McKinnon Industries in 1929.

There is some evidence that NONE of the GM motors in 65-66 Studebakers were from the Mckinnon plant.

See chapter 6 of this...

http://www.autogeek.com/news/Studebaker.pdf#search='mckinnon%20general%20motors'

The Old Cars Price Guide lists these #'s for a '66 Cruiser

#1 $10300
              #2 $7210
              #3 $4640
              #4 $2060
              #5 $1236
              #6 $412

Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                See chapter 6 of this...

Richard Milhaus Nixon? You've gotta be kidding. I read that entire article and found it extremely enlightening. Found out stuff I never knew.

Imagine, today you could be watching a Studebaker President cruising down the road instead of an Infinity Q45. D*mn Nixon![}]

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp
                  See chapter 6 of this...

Richard Milhaus Nixon? You've gotta be kidding. I read that entire article and found it extremely enlightening. Found out stuff I never knew.

Imagine, today you could be watching a Studebaker President cruising down the road instead of an Infinity Q45. D*mn Nixon![}]

Comment

My guesstimate, based on your description, is $2500. BTW, the eight track is not original to or correct for the car.

Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                    Gary L.
                    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

My guesstimate, based on your description, is $2500. BTW, the eight track is not original to or correct for the car.

Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                      X