Mr. Ed hand puppet etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mr. Ed hand puppet etc.

I recently had an inquiry about a Mr. Ed hand puppet, more specifically if I owned one or knew of any. Have to reluctantly admit that the answer is no but I do have the 4 page brochure that was sent to dealers with the puppet shown along with three other promotional items (above). In a 1962 television ad Studebaker showed this puppet and encouraged children to have their parents take them to their local Studebaker dealer to get one free. Whether the puppet had the Studebaker name imprinted anywhere on it I do not know. I suspect the head was made from some inexpensive rubber composition that quickly deteriorated. If so it is doubtful that any would have survived the past 48 years. Any remember them or have one?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1288404455

I recently had an inquiry about a Mr. Ed hand puppet, more specifically if I owned one or knew of any. Have to reluctantly admit that the answer is no but I do have the 4 page brochure that was sent to dealers with the puppet shown along with three other promotional items (above). In a 1962 television ad Studebaker showed this puppet and encouraged children to have their parents take them to their local Studebaker dealer to get one free. Whether the puppet had the Studebaker name imprinted anywhere on it I do not know. I suspect the head was made from some inexpensive rubber composition that quickly deteriorated. If so it is doubtful that any would have survived the past 48 years. Any remember them or have one?
    Dick, There is currently a Mr Ed talking horse hand puppet on Ebay # 110602973133. You can pull a string & it plays various phases. SDC member Ray Crunkhorn in Adelaide collects Mr Ed memorabilia. Jim Q.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Interesting item, Dick. At roughly 50 cents each, that would have been five cups of 1962 coffee for the Studebaker dealer to give away to each kid brought in by his parents! <GGG>

I hope at least some of them got to sell a new Lark after such a personal financial sacrifice. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hi ,I have one and it survived quite well but he must have smoked alot as his voice box was removed , The head is rubber and the colors are moulded in and it is still very supple.There is a tag on the glove part that says Mister Ed on one side and on the other Mattel and a patent date of 1962, Ed

Comment

I have a couple of the talking Mattel toys as seen in the ebay listing. They have a fabric neck and small cords for the mane. The dealer item shown on Richard's brochure is something entirely different. I don't know who made those or if they were ever available in stores. I'm sure they are not a 'talking' model.
          Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

IIRC, they're often on ebay, so not THAT rare (compared with some toys of the era).
            It would be fun to have with Studebaker stuff.

Back in the mid-90s I was at an antique toy show in the DC area (back before ebay killed-off such events) and Alan Young was signing autographs.
            It was long before I was into Studes, so i didn't have him sign anything (now I have his book).
            It would be fun to get him to sign a early 60s Studebaker rather like Shelby does with Cobras, fake Cobras, Shelby Mustangs, regular Mustangs, and anything else. Perhaps the inside of a glove box or trunk lid.
            63 Avanti R1 2788
            1914 Stutz Bearcat
            (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Thanks to all who have responded. Yes, it appears that the original puppet offered by Studebaker did not have the "talking" option so it would not be the Mattel version. I met Alan Young at the 2nd Long Beach meet and had him sign several of the old 1962 post cards showing the cast (see image above). If anyone is interested I still have about 10 of them (price $5 ea). I also got his mailing address and sent him some additional items that both he and Connie Hinnds signed (see second image). I have several other signed items including 8 X 10" photos.
              Richard Quinn
              Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Working...
              X