drive shaft u-joint replacement needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drive shaft u-joint replacement needed

Looks like I need a new rear u-joint for the drive shaft of my 64 lark HT. It's leaking. Any recommended supplier/part number/etc? The current u- joint says Spicer.

Thanks, Jeff

Pardon my query. I never heard of a u-joint leaking. Are you sure you don't mean the differential yoke seal?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
      I never heard of a u-joint leaking. Are you sure you don't mean the differential yoke seal?
      Second that. If you as a Super Lark owner thinks a u-joint leaks, you're scaring me!! <GG>
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

It's leaking? Might it be oil leaking from the rear pinion seal that you see? Or did you over grease the U-joint and grease squirted beyond the rubber needle bearing seals? Does the U-joint seem worn? As for a replacement, I went to the local auto supply store last year and asked for a rear U-joint for my '63 Hawk, and they had a listing for it so I ordered one and it works perfect. My old joint was worn and sloppy.
        sigpic
        In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

U-joints can most certainly leak.
          Some u-joints have a zerk fitting for adding grease at regular service intervals.
          Even a 'non-servicable' u-joint without provisions for greasing...still come packed with grease.
          Once the small roller bearings 'brinnel', or wear into the trunion and/or the cap, the clearances can open up, and if the rubber seal is not flexible enough to allow for this movement, the lube can leak out.
          Especially if the rubber is hardened from years of use (like most Stude's).
          A lot of times the grease can separate into oil and soap (one of the thickeners they put into oil to make grease)
          Then the oil part of the grease compound can come out.
          It can happen.
          HTIH
          Jeff

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
          Second that. If you as a Super Lark owner thinks a u-joint leaks, you're scaring me!! <GG>
          Originally Posted by rockne10
          I never heard of a u-joint leaking. Are you sure you don't mean the differential yoke seal?
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I've been meaning to comment on this for a while - you guys and your funny accent and names, it's a grease nipple, well here it is anyways. If you said Zerk to an Aussie they'd look at you real funny, then say - what? You guys! ;-)
            Matt
            Brisbane
            Australia
            sigpic

Visit my Blog: http://www.mattsoilyrag.blogspot.com.au/

Comment

Grease nipples?
              My first two thoughts were....
              (1) You must use Lanolin down there...
              (2) We have to pay extra for that at the gentlemans club..

Originally posted by Aussie Hawk View Post
              I've been meaning to comment on this for a while - you guys and your funny accent and names, it's a grease nipple, well here it is anyways. If you said Zerk to an Aussie they'd look at you real funny, then say - what? You guys! ;-)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

Bob, don't be scared. This Super Lark owner is no master mechanic but this is pretty basic stuff. Looks like even you pros can learn some new things too.

It's not the pinion seal. That was leaking and I already replaced that.

What I am referring to here is the "universal joint" at the rear of the drive shaft. It's called a "universal joint" in the parts book. Spicer type.

Jeff's description above is exactly correct. These are pre-greased assemblies with no grease fittings. They have rubber seals on the four ends. Mine are brittle and grease is leaking out around the seals.

I think these are readily available so I'll just look around. Thanks.

Comment

Stude No. 1562019, same as Spicer 5-200X, same as Borg-Warner 114-549 (no grease fitting)
                  Standard Duty W/grease fitting Spicer 5-121X, same as B/W 114-521
                  Heavy Duty, Spicer 5-153X, same as B/W 114-521HD
                  If you want Interchange Numbers I can give you at least 20.

Comment

For the Aussie in all of us. Alemite, when they introduced the grease fitting to the world, called it a Zerk. It was a little round protrusion with two side arms on it. The mechanic who was going to grease the fitting put the grease gun over the two arms and twisted it 60 deg, locking it on. Then he applied pressure and the grease went into the fitting. Subsequent to this, other fittings have been developed, that grab the interior of the gun and hold on. They are called nipples, but our Victorian prudishness dictates that we can't call them that, so we call them Zerks.

Comment

One of the best things about Studes is they bought all the driveline parts from Borg-Warner and Spicer. Thus, all the axle, driveshaft and transmission wear parts are as common as dirt. Any auto parts store should have the correct U-joints. However, they may not know which one it is, because if they're like O'Reilly's computer system, it requires entering a make, year and model, then doesn't have all the applicable Stude and Packard models in the data base.

Take a dial caliper with you to a four-wheel-drive shop. They'll most certainly have it.

jack vines
                      PackardV8

Comment

I still want to know how Deepnhock knows about prices at the gentleman's clubs.

Comment

Gold card holder, baby!

Originally posted by whacker View Post
                          I still want to know how Deepnhock knows about prices at the gentleman's clubs.

Jeff

Comment

Bob you do not strike me as a "scair-de-cat" :-)
                            Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post

Comment

Jeff, you know I'm just teasing. But you're right, we can always learn. I'm far from being any kind of expert, but I do have some experience; and any u-joint I've ever seen has maybe a teaspoon-full of grease in it total- so I can't say as I've ever seen anything leak out of one.

When you stop learning, you start dying
                              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                              Romans 15:13
                              Deuteronomy 31:6
                              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Working...
                              X