Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to Connect 2 terminal regulator for '63 Avanti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Connect 2 terminal regulator for '63 Avanti?

Does anyone know how to switch and convert from a 4 terminal to a 2 terminal voltage regulator for a '63 Avanti?

Thanks!
    Tim

I did the swap on my Avanti, but the 2 wire regulator used on other Studebakers isn't quite correct for the Avanti alternator. The 2 wire regulator will have to be adjusted as the output voltage from the alternator will be too high. That said, the 12 gauge wire from the alternator has to be connected to the 12 gauge wire connected to the rest of the electrical system. These wires are connected on both sides of the regulator. On the 2 wire regulator, the field wire from the alternator is connected to the field terminal on the new regulator and the ignition terminal is connected to the ignition wire that is connected to the original regulator. Bud

Comment

Thanks for your reply Bud.
      I'm not understanding "These wires are connected on both sides of the regulator." If the field is connected to the "field" terminal, and the ignition is connected to the "ignition" terminal, where do "these wires are connected on both sides of the regulator" go to?
      Thanks again for any carification.

Tim

Comment

The 2 12 gauge wires marked bat and alt on the original regulator will be connected together as originally they went through a cutout relay that was controlled by the ignition lead to the regulator. This will make the heavy wire connected to the alternator hot all of the time. You can use a #10 screw and nut and a piece of heat shrink tubing as an insulator to make the connection of the 2 12 gauge wires. This way you can replace the regulator at any time with an original without doing any modifications to the wiring. Bud

Comment

Working...
        X