PDA

View Full Version : Florida State meet this weekend.

rockinhawk
10-21-2010, 03:15 PM
The Fla. State meet is going on this weekend in Crawfordville Fla. (near Tallahassee). Anyone from here going? We'll be there if the old Hawk will make it. NT

studegary
10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
We have enjoyed the Florida State Meet on several other years and like the area where it is this year. Cathy and I both have medical issues that will prevent our attendance this year. Greetings to all there!

rockinhawk
10-21-2010, 03:20 PM
Wish yall could come Gary. We'll be thinking about you.

DEEPNHOCK
10-21-2010, 03:50 PM
Triple witching work slammed me for this weekend, or I'd be down there.....
Have to work tomorrow, and leave for Detroit Monday early am...
No time to play Stude's right now...:(

bigtoot
10-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Exactly where and when? Are just galkers and lurkers welcome?

DEEPNHOCK
10-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Tomorrow thru Sunday breakfast.
In between Tallahassee and the Gulf of Mexico.
Everybody is welcome!
(Stay in Tallahassee, drive on down!....Half hour at most)

Exactly where and when? Are just galkers and lurkers welcome?

Nelsen Motorsports
10-21-2010, 08:11 PM
I will be there and we may bring the parts again since we never unloaded the trailer.

rockinhawk
10-21-2010, 08:18 PM
I will be there and we may bring the parts again since we never unloaded the trailer. Alex, I missed you in Braselton. I went by where you set up a time or two, but no one was around. See you in Fla. NT

dong
10-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Sure wish I could be there, but I have a herniated disk and the Doctor said the stupidest thing I could do would be to drive 8 hours. I had the hotel reservation, and had all the little things on the Lark taken care of and then... I figure you all will have a great time. Please take lots of photos for us poor unfortunates that can't be there. Can't wait for next year.

Kdancy
10-22-2010, 06:24 AM
We plan on driving over on Saturday morning with a 57 GH and the infamous 61 cursed purple Hawk----

Nelsen Motorsports
10-22-2010, 11:55 PM
Can't make it tomorrow since my dad is stuck at an airport in Texas.

Jerry Forrester
10-23-2010, 03:07 AM
Can't make it tomorrow since my dad is stuck at an airport in Texas.
I'll not be able to make to Fl. again this year. ;-(

Alex,
You're all grown up now, having just trned 16 years of age. Did you get your drivers license? Are you tearing up the roads around Macon? Are you going th change your signature?<G>

StudeMichael
10-23-2010, 04:42 PM
Any pics? I drove to the Sarasota/Tampa area today and bought a 63 R1 Avanti.

mbstude
10-23-2010, 10:02 PM
I have plenty of pics and I'll post them up in the next few days. Heck of a good turnout and it's been a great meet. One of the best meets I've been to in a long time. I think the flame-throwing '57 Transtar really set it over the top. <G>

dong
10-23-2010, 10:20 PM
Was there any announcement about who is hosting next years meet? Looking forward to your pics Matthew, I think that must the same Transtar that was at Deland last year. The flames were pretty impressive.

mbstude
10-23-2010, 10:24 PM
Yep it's the same truck that was shooting out flames in Deland.

Next year's state meet location and date has yet to be determined.

rockinhawk
10-24-2010, 08:20 PM
We took a leisurly drive down some Georgia back roads coming home. Stopped for a pit stop in a little town on the way. While I was in the back room of a little store my cell phone rang. A fellow club member saw my car and called to see if I was OK. We have some great folks in this club. We really enjoyed the meet. Big Bend did a Bang-up job. The GT ran good all the way there and back.

Matthew has some pictures on facebook, if anyone wants to check them out. NT

JJWMACHINECO
10-25-2010, 07:48 AM
Please post a link. Can't seem to find them. :confused:

Matthew has some pictures on facebook, if anyone wants to check them out. NT

mbstude
10-25-2010, 12:31 PM
I'll put my pics on photobucket when I get home; hopefully later today.

StudeMichael
10-25-2010, 05:59 PM

I am looking forwarding to seeing them Matthew!

mbstude
10-25-2010, 11:29 PM
Photobucket isn't wanting to cooperate and is rejecting my pictures.

But, I did manage to get a video of me driving the '38 Commander loaded onto youtube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxb4HHMaQhc

jim nichols
10-26-2010, 10:10 AM
Hey Neil I didn't think to ask you at Braselton if you had to put a Band Aid on your Hawk hood like the one on your forehead ? Been there done that !
See ya in Tifton.

Jim

rockinhawk
10-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Hey Neil I didn't think to ask you at Braselton if you had to put a Band Aid on your Hawk hood like the one on your forehead ? Been there done that !
See ya in Tifton.

Jim Didn't put a bandaid on it but did leave the blood stain there to remind myself.

JJWMACHINECO
10-28-2010, 08:40 AM
Matthew, what happened to you and the pictures? Did you get sick from that Fried Green Tater, I mean Mater, you ate at Wakulla Springs?:eek:

Would the winner of the Best of Show car and recipient of the special Harry Barnes Award that I made, please announce who you are and details on your car.:D

Well, since no one else will announce it, I was the recipient of the Dr. Robert Cade Award at the Florida State Meet.:cool:

Jeff

mbstude
10-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Hey Jeff. Photobucket doesn't like me anymore and it wouldn't upload my pictures. I haven't had time to try to investigate further.

Robert Cade Award, eh? Like driving that Champ pickup everyday is something special... :p Seriously, driving a Stude everyday is pretty cool and I miss being able to do that. Doc Cade would certainly be smiling.

There was no Best of Show Award. To explain it to the Forum, the President's Choice Award (the fancy clock that you made) was given out by the host chapter's President, for the car that he liked the most. It had to be a "unique" Studebaker that was driven to the show, not trailered. The award went to the owner of a Bordeaux Red '64 R1 Daytona 4 door, driven close to 500 miles from Louisiana. Pretty sure he's a forum member and maybe he'll put some more details up.

hossfly
10-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Got pics of the Daytona on photobucket ajarman_album_bucket, there are all my cars just scroll down to get to the Daytona

JJWMACHINECO
10-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Matthew, is your bucket full? <G>

When are you going to have your own Studebaker to drive everyday Matthew?, You can't win awards by driving a Ford with Studebaker painted on the tailgate, or driving George's Studebakers like you did before, during and after the meet? :p You also found out you could not even buy an Award from the winner, but you were able to get the scraps. LOL

To explain it, George and I was asked by Steve if we had made anything for a Best of Show Award and I replied, no one asked me to. I suggested to George to use the Clock that I made for that Award, but it was his decision. I thought that is what he did, so excuse my ignorance. That Award did not say "Best of Show Award" or "President's Choice Award", but it did say "In Memory of Harry Barnes" I'm just happy Anthony will enjoy all the hard work I put into it because he did deserve that Award on his fine 64 R1 Daytona.

Matthew, I had a good time hanging out and joking around with you at the meet and I hope we can do it again in the future.

Hey Jeff. Photobucket doesn't like me anymore and it wouldn't upload my pictures. I haven't had time to try to investigate further.

Robert Cade Award, eh? Like driving that Champ pickup everyday is something special... :p Seriously, driving a Stude everyday is pretty cool and I miss being able to do that. Doc Cade would certainly be smiling.

There was no Best of Show Award. To explain it, the President's Choice Award (the fancy clock that you made) was given out by the host chapter's President, for the car that he liked the most. It had to be a "unique" Studebaker that was driven to the show, not trailered. The award went to the owner of a Bordeaux Red '64 R1 Daytona 4 door, driven close to 500 miles from Louisiana. Pretty sure he's a forum member and maybe he'll put some more details up.

StudeMichael
10-29-2010, 06:54 PM
This is sad. Are you Studebaker guys too OLD to post pictures? Used to be at least 2 or 3 posts with FL State Meet pictures. You guys SUCK!!!

mbstude
10-29-2010, 07:01 PM
This is sad. Are you Studebaker guys too OLD to post pictures? Used to be at least 2 or 3 posts with FL State Meet pictures. You guys SUCK!!!

I'm not very old, so I guess I just suck.

Photobucket is rejecting every picture I attempt to upload and I don't have time to try to figure it out.

sweetolbob
10-29-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm not very old, so I guess I just suck.

Photobucket is rejecting every picture I attempt to upload and I don't have time to try to figure it out.

Matt

NO YOU DON'T!!!!!!!!

Why don't you email 'em to good ol what's his name and let him impress us with his picture posting skills.

Bob

JJWMACHINECO
10-30-2010, 05:50 AM
Here are a few photos a very good friend of mine sent me that he took while visiting the meet. He is a very famous wood sculpture artist and you can see him in one of the photos.

JJWMACHINECO
10-30-2010, 05:54 AM
And a few more.

hossfly
10-30-2010, 08:11 AM
Dang tough crowd. I communicated with George during the week and he said the pics will be placed on Youtube, I'll put the link here as soon as I receive it.

mbstude
10-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Here are a few photos a very good friend of mine sent me that he took while visiting the meet. He is a very famous wood sculpture artist and you can see him in one of the photos.

Sure is a handsome guy driving that '38 Commander.

StudeMichael
10-30-2010, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the pictures. You guys don't suck anymore.

black56hawk
10-30-2010, 12:42 PM
The 33rd Annual Florida State Meet was not just the first state meet hosted by the Big Bend Chapter, it was our first show ever. We were extremely gratified by the turnout, which far exceeded our expectations. The host motel filled completely several weeks before the Meet, and the overflow motel was just about full, too. The Big Bend Chapter would like to thank everyone who came, and all the other Florida (and Georgia) Chapters who gave us so much help in putting this on.

mbstude
10-31-2010, 10:58 AM
Matthew, is your bucket full? <G>

When are you going to have your own Studebaker to drive everyday Matthew?, You can't win awards by driving a Ford with Studebaker painted on the tailgate, or driving George's Studebakers like you did before, during and after the meet? :p You also found out you could not even buy an Award from the winner, but you were able to get the scraps. LOL

To explain it, George and I was asked by Steve if we had made anything for a Best of Show Award and I replied, no one asked me to. I suggested to George to use the Clock that I made for that Award, but it was his decision. I thought that is what he did, so excuse my ignorance. That Award did not say "Best of Show Award" or "President's Choice Award", but it did say "In Memory of Harry Barnes" I'm just happy Anthony will enjoy all the hard work I put into it because he did deserve that Award on his fine 64 R1 Daytona.

Matthew, I had a good time hanging out and joking around with you at the meet and I hope we can do it again in the future.

Yes, my bucket is overflowing. I bought the Ford in March of this year, prior to that my only mode of transportation was my Studebakers. With all the long distance driving that I do, a modern vehicle with AC, radio, etc etc is very convenient and it keeps wear and tear off of my Studes. My '59 pickup is apart waiting for me to find the time to finish restoring it. I put 10K on that one when I drove it to high school every day. My '58 Commander will start right now and I would trust it to take me across the country. The car sat for 35 years in a barn before I bought it. I got it running and put 15K miles on it in a year's time. The only problems I ever had (and I drove it all over the southeast US) was the generator going out, and a seized wheel bearing. The transmission is slipping now but I think the bands just need adjusting. It's a good reliable car, but I would sell it because I don't have the time to give it the TLC that it needs. I've had a handful of other Studebakers that were daily drivers and aside from a very worn out Daytona, I had great service from all of them. I have never won any award for driving or owning a Studebaker and I wouldn't expect to. I was born and raised in a Studebaker family and to me it isn't about the cars. It's about my friends in the SDC that I grew up around. I go to these shows to see the people, the cars are just a nice plus.

Me having "Studebaker" on my Ford's tailgate isn't much different from you having "Studebaker" on your tailgate, since yours is all Chevy S10 underneath. I just haven't put Studebaker sheetmetal on mine. <G> The previous owner of my truck is also a diehard Stude guy and a very close friend. The truck has probably been to more SDC events than most Studebakers. The lettering on my tailgate is more of an honor to the gentleman I bought it from, rather than the Studebaker brand itself.

I had a great time as well and I'm looking forward to the next one. Regardless of what your Champ is made of it's still a really cool ride. A late model chassis with Stude sheetmetal is a nice way to get all of the commodities that a modern vehicle offers and still have the look of a vintage car.

The Big Bend Chapter did an excellent job, and worked their butts off to make it a good show. I did jokingly offer to take the Prez's Choice Award off of Anthony's hands, but the award is his and it deserves to be with his car.