Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fan idea's?

Hey guys,

As I go out to replace the waterpump on my wagon; I started thinking. How nice would it be to have a quieter fan; and take some of the load off the water pump? So, I was wondering your guys's opinions on a clutch fan versus a electric fan set up. I know the pro's and cons; but what are your guys's experience with either?

Thanks!
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

I had a 4 blade solid mount on my GT. That was noisy. Went to a 5 blade Avanti unit with clutch. Much quieter. Now have a large 6 blade with clutch. Not as quiet, but this is Texas, where heat is a bigger problem than noise. With the close tolerances on the front of a Lark, I, IMHO, would go with a good electric fan. Do you have an alternator on that wagon? It would help to have an alternator to run an electric fan.

Comment

If you get a curved blade electric and bury it in the shroud as a pull through, it can be a lot smoother, and quieter.
      But it brings some responsability on the owners part.
      Go through the expense of setting the electrics up right with a fan relay and on/of thermostatic switches with a manual backup switch (for traffic jams and parades).
      What HP you save at the water pump, you lose at the alternator.
      Personally? I am a fan of electric fans.
      They work better at idle, in traffic, parades. (I won't say funerals)
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Ok, thanks guys! I'll definately consider these inputs when I go to make my choice
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Working...
        X