R/3 exhaust manifolds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R/3 exhaust manifolds?

I have a set of origional R/3 exhaust manifolds. They were on the engine when I bought this R/1 engine back in 1973. It also has the double breather valve covers. It is definately not an R/3 engine. I rebuilt it many years ago and will be using it in my "53. This will be a driver and I don't think I really need high performance manifolds. I am wondering what these would sell for. Maybe they would finance the rest of my project!!! I have been watching for some time but haven't seen any for sale. Any help?
    1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

Studebaker International has new ones in their catalog @ $385.00 a pair.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude Intl Cast Iron Headers.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	1663876
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
      Studebaker International has new ones in their catalog @ $385.00 a pair.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]4552[/ATTACH]
      I've seen orginals sell for slightly more. The big difference between the repops and originals is that the originals have a part number on them whereas the repops have a boss pad with nothing on them. I don't think you can even see the part number on them when they are installled and in the engine bay.

Selling them would buy you half the paint (in cans) for your 53 project.
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I am sure someone will correct me on this, but I thought Studebaker originally offered a right side header with the support for the alternator for Larks and Hawks, as well as the type Stude International has available, which is the Avanti Style. I am getting old and senile, and thus could be wrong, but if this is the rare Lark/Hawk style, I think they would be worth big $$

So, WAS there a Lark/Hawk style originally?
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Yes there is/was a correct right side header that incorporates the mount for the alternator bracket. This was necessary because the R3 style headers were offered as an option on '64's with the "lesser" engine options. Whether or not any were equipped that way at the factory is another story. When I was going through the '64 production orders I was able to find cars with headers ordered but they had all been x'd out. The headers will be available in the not too distant future with the bracket mount cast in place.
          R2Andrea

Comment

These headers have the alternator mount cast on the right header. Any Idea how much they might be worth? I also have the exhaust header pipes for this application.
            Last edited by jtjim; 10-23-2010, 06:35 AM.
            1967 Riviera, 1964 Avanti R/2-R5096, 1953 Champion-R/1,4spd, Two 1967 Studebaker Gravely tractorssigpic

Comment

Okay I am confused. You guys keep talking about headers, but the picture you have posted is of a cast Iron exhaust manifold?? This looks no different than the one on my wifes 61 Hawk. With the "Generator mount" cast into the manifold.
              Brian
              Brian Woods
              woodysrods@shaw.ca
              1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Hi, Brian,

but the picture you have posted is of a cast Iron exhaust manifold?? This looks no different than the one on my wifes 61 Hawk.
                Yes, at a glance, the R3 cast iron "headers" appear similar to the standard.

No, the R3 exhaust manifolds are really not that more efficient, but in the microcosm of Studedom, tiny differences assume great importance.

Maybe, someone has a sideview photo which will show you the differences.

jack vines
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by jtjim View Post
                  I have a set of origional R/3 exhaust manifolds. They were on the engine when I bought this R/1 engine back in 1973. It also has the double breather valve covers. It is definately not an R/3 engine. I rebuilt it many years ago and will be using it in my "53. This will be a driver and I don't think I really need high performance manifolds. I am wondering what these would sell for. Maybe they would finance the rest of my project!!! I have been watching for some time but haven't seen any for sale. Any help?
                  what are the #'s cast on the manifold?

Comment

I am wondering what the ID of the exhaust port is on an original? Can you measure and / or snap a pic?

Jon Kammer

Comment

Originally posted by 3x2stude View Post
                      I am wondering what the ID of the exhaust port is on an original? Can you measure and / or snap a pic?

Jon Kammer
                      I believe they are the same as a stock 570 head.
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

The casting numbers are 1563086 for the right side Lark / Hawk application and 1558353 for the others. The ports on the head end are the same size and shape as the standard manifold. The outlet dia. is 1 7/8" which should be the same as well.
                        R2Andrea

Comment

Brian -

Just like GM made an "iron header" for the 409.
                          Ford made one for the 406.
                          Chrysler made one for the 413 (I think).
                          And yea, the Studes had a set also. My opinion, they were the least advantages of the bunch, but still work a little better than the standard set.

While these weren't steel tubing, they were designed a littlesmoother (inside) thAn the normal manifold. Thus the reason many call them factory headers...NOT to be confused with the actual tubing headers that most of the manufacturers use today.

In some cases they worked much better thAn the standard set, in some cases they worked a little better thAn the standard set, but in all cases...they worked better thAn standard.

I had an original set for a 409 I built many years back. Even in the mid 80's they were very expensive, partly because so few were cast, and partly because they were so thin...they cracked and or just plain broke.
                          The Fords and Chryslers were both heavier (bigger) and thicker.

Mike
                          Last edited by Mike Van Veghten; 10-27-2010, 05:42 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X