Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another recent sighting. '53 Champion Starlight anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another recent sighting. '53 Champion Starlight anyone?

Was tipped off about this one last weekend, went to see it yesterday. For sale...but no phone number nor amount on the sign! I admit, I want this one, but of course am in no position to have a second chip right now...still looking for gainful employment so as not to have to be quit of my first chip!

S.

A car with lots of possibilities. BTW What is a "chip"?
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Chip? Verbal shorthand for 53-54 coupe/hardtop?

Anyway, I like that car. Is it still a six and does it have overdrive? Normally I'm not that fussy about painted front ends on 53-54-55s because the colour used is usually eyeball busting chrome yellow or dayglow orange or red or metallic purple....but this is an almost period colour, and has the period caps, and a bit of chrome/stainless trim has been left on it, and it all sorta suits it. What is with not painting the bumper bolts though?

Edit: Not that there is anything wrong with yellow, or even YELL!ow. And period it is, because my 49 Kaiser Special is almost that very colour. (pea soup, in the right, or wrong light, which goes very "nicely" with the two tone brown interior)
      Last edited by Jim B PEI; 10-21-2010, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Jim , this car was painted Chippewa Green , a correct color but there is alot of other stuff that isn't !
        sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

I was about to take the "chip" talk personally!
          Chip
          '63 Cruiser
          '57 Packard wagon
          '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
          '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
            Jim , this car was painted Chippewa Green , a correct color but there is alot of other stuff that isn't !
            Like ? Maybe a small block GM Engine? There sure is NOTHING on the outside of this car that does not look correct, ride height, script nameplates on Grilles, even a Stude. mirror.

The obvious painted trim of course need not be mentioned, but the only nameplate or trim that we can see missing is the Circle "S" on the 1/4 Panel.

It actually does not look too bad in Mint Green, I doubt it's a match for Chippewa Green, but could be close in person.
            Last edited by StudeRich; 10-21-2010, 09:40 AM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Rich, where do you see painted trim? the rear fender trim is stock stainless! now I do see grill and bumper in painted green.
              Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
                Rich, where do you see painted trim? the rear fender trim is stock stainless! now I do see grill and bumper in painted green.
                Well like I said the Green-out is not worth mentioning since it looks OK, is a good cheap way to customize it and is all obviously wrong, but if you gotta know it's the Grille Mouldings, Grille Bars, Headlight Rims, front and rear Bumpers, Bumper guards, Taillight Housings and whatever else is painted on the rear, Lic. Guards, Trunk Handle etc.

Apparently 2R5 knows something we don't, Interior? Engine changed? what?
                Last edited by StudeRich; 10-21-2010, 04:48 PM.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Well Rich, actually Bob hit it right on the head!!! he's obviously talking about everything you just mentioned TWICE yet labeled not important!!!
                  Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Well Steve, I don't blame you a bit! That is one nice looking car. Took me a moment to figure out what was wrong with that front view, LOL! Best of luck!

Oh, about the sign; Here's a theory for you: the wife tells hubby that the old Studeclunker has to go! So, knowing she'll never get within fifty feet of it, he places a sign with no information on it, "See honey, the sign is on it. For some reason no one is calling though!" Wink, wink...
                    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

"Chip" just means "Stude"...as in, they're like chips, one is not enough!

The upholstery in this '53 is light brown vinyl with vertical stitched ribbing; it looked well-done to me but somehow not "right". I'm not that familiar with Bourke Coupe interiors though. Truth told, had I the cash I might not care: I still want this car!

You'll notice the green looks different between the two pix. That's because the sun came out after I took the first shot, and as it was fairly late in the day, the paint, where struck by sunlight, then took on a yellowish aspect. The head-on view shows the colour more correctly.

S.

Comment

Studebakers are like potato chips,
                        you can't have just one!!
                        Barry Leppan
                        Ontario, Canada
                        64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
                        GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Working...
                        X