Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1935 Studebaker Commander / Dictator Roadster - What's The Difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1935 Studebaker Commander / Dictator Roadster - What's The Difference?

I know that just prior to being dropped in late 1935, the "Dictator" model name denoted a six-cylinder powerplant but was there any other differences in the two Roadster models? I've been studying photos of the famous "Canary Yellow" Commander Roadster displayed at the Studebaker National Museum along with images of various Dictator Roadsters like this one re-finished in a non-factory two-tone red and silver but it appears Stude didn't even change the emblems.

The ’35 Dictator was a 205 c.i. Six on a 114” wheelbase. The Commander was a 250 c.i. Eight on a 120” wheelbase. They both used the same radiator mascot. The President used basically the same engine as the Commander but was on a longer 124” wheelbase. A lady with flowing hair was used as a mascot. Incidentally the Dictator name survived through the 1937 model year.
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 10-20-2010, 01:18 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Another one.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Looks to me more like "another four."

And, by the way, that SB Tour was my first, and a lot of fun.

Comment

Beautiful cars, but the helmits and goggles sure set the black one off.
          Klif
          55 Speedster/Street Machine
          63 Avanti R2
          64 Convertible R1

Comment

That picture of the red and silver roadster hurts a bit.

My dad thought he had purchased it, but someone snuck in and scooped it at the last minute.

That person did nothing with it, and resold it a few years later to an owner who undertook the major restoration.

It was an extremely solid yellow RHD! car.

Comment

Working...
            X