welding stainless steel fitting to steel manifold

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding stainless steel fitting to steel manifold

I went to the hardware store today looking for a nut or fitting that would fit the ohv pcv elbow for the ohv six pcv, I wanted to weld the nut or fitting to the side of my ohv six twin carb project because I want to hook up the pcv in the future.

I discovered that the elbow threads are pipe threads and had my choice of gavanized and stainless steel fittings, I chose stainless steel but I then wondered about welding stainless steel to common steel.

So before I open the packaging, drill a large hole and discover the two metals will not melt together...

I have a Lincoln Weldpac wire feed welder, running .035 fluxcore wire... can I weld a stainless steel fitting to a common steel tube manifold and have everything weld together nicely with no vacuum leaks?

splatter I can grind down

If it stainless and steel wont weld togather, any suggestions on what to do next... grind the galvanized and hold my breath

Jeff T.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

Jeff

I've welded a number of stainless steel to steel items and have not had a problem. My brother-in-law is qualified to weld about anything including Nuclear Plants. He said use stainless wire and no issues. That is what I use. I have a roll of 0.30 stainless and use it with 80/20 gas. The only problem is I have no experience with flux core.

Stainless wire will also weld steel to steel.

Bob

Comment

You could always braze it, or silver solder it. Is there a reason you can not drill & tap it? or, get the correct size tube and drill a slightly smaller hole, and "press" it in, then use an in line PVJim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

Comment

Working...
      X