Input shaft length for Commander 245 and 259 V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Input shaft length for Commander 245 and 259 V8

I am considering a transmission from a Commander 245 and would like to mate it to a 259 V8. Would they be compatible, or would I have to disassemble the whole thing to effect the change?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Bump... anyone???
    Last edited by studeclunker; 10-19-2010, 09:09 AM. Reason: remove sig.
    Ron Smith

Comment

Ron, I do know the '47 thru '50 Commander six T86 transmissions used the same input shaft as a V8. I have used several '47/'48 Commander T86 transmissionis behind V8s. You can verify this via the parts books.

However, be careful also about the bellhousing bolt pattern. Depending on the year of your 259 bellhousing and what it come out of (car or truck), the bellhousing bolt pattern may or may not work.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Ah, that's interesting, the bolt pattern on the bellhousing? Okay, well, the truck is a '62 Champ. The Bellhousing is what was attached to the original engine (289), thus a truck Bellhousing (it has the legged mounts in lieu of the two bolts straight through). Maybe it would be better to dismount the engine and transmission and pull off the bellhousing to see if it fits? Then again, do you know if the transmission is compatible with such a bellhousing? Also, those that don't match, how far off is the bolt pattern? Would I be able to just re-drill it?
        Last edited by studeclunker; 10-19-2010, 12:52 PM.
        Ron Smith

Comment

I'm assuming he means the bell-housing-to-transmission bolt pattern. The 3-speed bolt pattern changed around '57. Earlier was a nearly square bolt pattern and the '57-64 was a tall rectangular bolt pattern, known as the Ford pattern.

If one is willing to go through all the hassle of dialing in a bellhousing, the '51-56 V8 bellhousings will have same transmission bolt pattern as the old Commander transmission bolt pattern and will also bolt to your '62 block. The old bellhousings are common as dirt.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Yes, Jack is correct, I meant the bell housing-to-tranny bolt pattern.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

There was an earlier thread about this that had a chart put up by Craig of Canada, 8E45. Might ask him to put it up again.

Comment

Working...
              X