Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone help re: general advice on removing or installing trim and other stuff?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help re: general advice on removing or installing trim and other stuff?

I'm looking for practical tools, sources of clips and fasteners, links to instructive sites, etc.

I'm done with all the mechanical stuff, and finally getting ready to install or replace stainless and chrome trim, all my glass, window mechanisms, carpet, headliner, seats, and interior panels as I reassemble my 1953 Studebaker Hardtop.

I've stockpiled all the major components. I'm short on screws, clips, other fasteners, adhesives, and tips on the best way to use them.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I once had a parts car to use as a pattern for assembly but it had to stay behind when I moved to North Carolina.

I assume you have the shop manual? Most of the clips and such are still available. It's a broad request and would probably be best to address your question to the various trim and parts sections, rather than the whole car. Even the shop manual doesn't tell you how to install the trim. That's what we're here for.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Restoration Specialties is the place to go for the parts (assuming that SI does not have them). They have a website and an online catalogue. Good luck. I was lucky SI still had everything I needed for my Studebakers but I have used them for my '37 Olds.

Their inventory includes: window channel, belt weatherstrips, rubber weatherstripping, rubber bumpers & grommets, sedan decking, bias, welts & windlace, fenderwelt, hoodlace, door panelboard & cowlboard, clips & fasteners, moulding bolts, finishing screws & washers, bumper bolts, trimming sundries, speed nuts, wire loom and many other hard to find antique auto parts. We now manufacture different window channel and belt weatherstrip kits under our trademark name "Topcat Whiskers". We can supply parts for most cars manufactured prior to 1980.
      sigpic
      55 President Deluxe
      64 Commander
      66 Cruiser

37 Oldsmobile F37 4 Door

Comment

Thanks for your responses. I know my question was very broad, so I'll bring it down a notch and ask two specific Questions. I do have the manuals, and I will go to SI for my fastener needs.
        1. Do any of you know helpful websites that show illustrations of exterior trim removal and replacement?
        2. What sources for trim removal/replacement tools have you used?

Comment

Here again, you may get as many techniques as there are replies. Many of us have done what you are doing, but had to learn the "old-fashioned" way...trial and error.

When I was heavily into my restorations, we didn't have this forum. So, often we just had to talk to folks face to face (imagine that) or just "wing it." I would say as far as trim removal, you need to study the particular fastener or clip that holds the trim on. Learn the mechanics of how it works. For example, I have removed those little tin "speed nuts" that slip over those un-threaded studs on hood emblems with tiny sharpened screwdrivers and dental picks. Some of the side trim with wire clips can be squeezed and pushed from the back to "pop" through the holes. I have taken old tooth-brush handles and shaped them to pry under delicate chrome or stainless steel trim. My arsenal of tools have included wooden dowels, plastic tipped hammers, dental picks, and you name it! Once, I even cut the tip of one of those small co2 cylinders like you see in BB guns to make a bezel removal tool for dash switches.

Trick is to study how the particular piece is constructed so that you at least have a fighting chance to remove it without destroying it. Some items can not be removed without some force, but you can't escape the fact that some "art" of the craft is required and that only comes from experience and talent.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
            cut the tip of one of those small co2 cylinders ...to make a bezel removal tool for dash switches.

Clever idea! I like it.

Patience and thought. The clips are available; The pins on the back of your script and much of the other trim is not. Study how it's put together and go slowly.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
              Clever idea! I like it.

Patience and thought. The clips are available; The pins on the back of your script and much of the other trim is not. Study how it's put together and go slowly.
              I should have mentioned that it was a "used" CO2 cylinder. I wouldn't want anybody to get the wrong idea and launch one of those things by hacking into a full one.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

use the right trim removal tool

Originally posted by stude53 View Post
                I'm looking for practical tools, sources of clips and fasteners, links to instructive sites, etc.

I'm done with all the mechanical stuff, and finally getting ready to install or replace stainless and chrome trim,
                Use the correct tools, it always pays in the long run. They are not expensive and are readily available. If i was you i would find local body and paint man that has experience with the older cars. Or someone from your local chapter that has the experience. It's not rocket science but some good advice will save some valuable trim from being bent. And save you some time and frustration in the bargain.

Comment

John and Phillip, thanks for your thoughtful responses. I'll get my manuals out and study up before I "pry". I will also seek out a old experienced bodyman, either through my SDC chapter or through AARP. :>)

Comment

Trim Removal from 1955 president

I also need assistance with the removal of the trim off of the 1955 president can someone get me started? Thanks

Comment

Working...
                    X