Avanti Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushing Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushing Conversion

I am nearing the end of the front suspension rebuild on my 83 Avanti thanks to a complete rebuild kit from SI. The kit is completely installed and I've decided to upgrade further by adding KYB shocks and polyurethane sway bar bushings.

Well!! You say "Bunkey, they don't make polyurethane bushings to fit the OEM brackets" and I say you are correct as far as I know.

However, don't sell a CASO short. I purchased two pair of Energy Suspension Greaseable Polyurethane Sway Bar Bushings from Advanced Auto for $18/ pair -20% for a total of $28.80 without tax. Part # 9.5156R

Here is a shot of the original Avanti bushing and bracket, the original Energy Suspension bushing and bracket and the modified brackets to fit the Avanti.

The following shots are some of the steps in the modification of the brackets to fit in the OEM location.

A couple of shots of the installation

I know that I'll probably receive some suggestions on upgrading the bar and I will probably do so in the future but for now I want to get the Avanti back on the road and add more miles before I need to put it away for the winter.

Bob

Now THAT is cool! Definately something to consider! I'm still keeping an eye out for a appropriate late model bar to adapt to mine though
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

This should be saved to the tech pages. Great idea and great clear pictures, and CASO compliant as well!

Comment

Those brackets(less grease fitting) are available from Dave Thibeault for about 6 bucks for those with less time .

Comment

Originally posted by leyrret View Post
          Those brackets(less grease fitting) are available from Dave Thibeault for about 6 bucks for those with less time .
          and a drill and tap will make quick work of adding a grease fitting...

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nice work, Bob,

I tend to drive my Studes hard enough through the corners to scrape the chrome off the door handles. Adding a heavy duty sway bar, I've pulled the sway bar slots right out of the A-arms and/or straightened out those little ears on the aftermarket brackets. I had to make link type ends to bolt to more solid material than those little slots. As they say, your results may vary. Depending on how hard the steel in those brackets, it may live if that is the OEM sway bar.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

Very nice work! This is the stuff that makes this hobby fun! I love it!

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Those Part # 9-5156R must be Mustang Stabilizer Bushings RIGHT? What year are they?
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I had one straighten out and lost bushing with the after market bracket and I really don't drive that hard . I wonder if the factory brackets suffered from this deficiency. If have problem again may have to modify the mounting. The bushing is Moog# K80092.

Might add the Moog bushing listed is for a 1".

Terry
                  Last edited by leyrret; 10-18-2010, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                    Those Part # 9-5156R must be Mustang Stabilizer Bushings RIGHT? What year are they?
                    Rich

I don't know the make or year they are for. Advanced Auto sent me an email with the 20% off offer and I knew the local store carried Energy Suspension Parts but in very limited supply. So I Googled the Energy Suspension site, looked for 3/4" bushing and found the Part #. Put it into the Advanced Auto site and Eureka!! there it was. So I ordered two and they showed up two days later.

Jack and Layrret, I'd like to drive the 83 until I rub the chrome off the door handles and plan to do so. But with the front suspension in the sloppy condition it was in, It was not capable of anything like that. In fact, My pickup had better cornering than it did. Now that the front suspension is completely rebuilt and tight as a drum we'll see what it can do. The polyurethane bushings were an upgrade over the stock replacements at about the same cost, the way I did it. If I discover that the handling will be improved by bigger bars, Which is probably the case, Then I will upgrade to a much better system.

In the interm, It gets me back on the road quickly so I can evaluate where I am before the winter sets in and I can use the down time to upgrade where I need to. And there is always the fact that I will have the data on the strength or lack off with this modification and can plan better upgrades with it and the help of this forum.

Bob

Comment

I believe those mounts will also fit the rear sway bar on the axle as is. Would have to check about the uppers.
                      At least thats the direction I wanted to go on mine.

Comment

Working...
                      X