Overdrive working or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overdrive working or not?

I have posted a couple of times about the overdrive in my 57 parkview wagon. I really dont think it is working.
    Yes it clicks at about 30 MPH. If I put the governor in a drill and spin it the silinoid actvates. The lever on the side of the transmission is all the way back. If the car is parked and in gear it will roll forward without turning the engine over. Free wheeling, I Think so it is hard to tell. Wish I had a big hill so I could be coasting about 40 mph and put the car into third gear to make sure.
    Here is the problem If I run in second gear a little past where the silinoid kicks in, say 4-5 MPH and let off of the gas the overdrive never seems to kick in. When I get back on the gas the engine RPMs seem to be where they were.
    What should I try next. What inside the overdrive housing usally goes wrong that would cause this?
    Thanks for any help.

I'd check the kick down switch itself. Take off all the spade clips and make sure they are nice and clean. I had the same problem in my wagon, and I had checked most things already. Turned out just enough dirt that wasn't noticeable right off the bat had gotten in a spade clip, and that was the end of my problems then.
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by D Davis View Post
      Here is the problem If I run in second gear a little past where the silinoid kicks in, say 4-5 MPH and let off of the gas the overdrive never seems to kick in. When I get back on the gas the engine RPMs seem to be where they were.
      What should I try next. What inside the overdrive housing usally goes wrong that would cause this?
      Thanks for any help.
      Being where you are in Indiana, do you not have a fellow SDC member close enough to give you a hand? How about putting the rear axle up on jack stands and running the car through the gears, once in high gear and reaching overdrive speed, simply lift the accelerator pedal briefly and you should "feel" the overdrive engage. As you re-accelerate, you should noticed the dropped rpm as the wheel speed increases. Trying to engage the overdrive running in second gear is possible, but not what it was intended for and a bit stressful on the car.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

A couple of articles on the OD:

http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/OD.txt

http://www.fordification.com/tech/overdrive.htm

http://www.streetrodderweb.com/tech/...ive/index.html

Comment

Sounds like a defective governor switch to me.

Comment

Could also just be a fuse.

I never tired of engaging overdrive in second gear, especially when on the on-ramp to an Interstate highway.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The electrics all sound like they work in your "tests", so that means either the Solenoid pawl is not engaged in the shift bar or there are internal problems with the Overdrive Planetary unit.

I certainly hope it is the former, remove it and re-install it per the Shop manual.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

not engaging it in second gear that is just where it automatically kicks in. mine does everything correctly except change drive ratio.

Comment

studerich i think you are on to something I was hoping for a way to check that without tearing apart.

Comment

Thanks, What a great series of writups, very helpful.

Regards, Murray

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Originally posted by D Davis View Post
                      studerich i think you are on to something I was hoping for a way to check that without tearing apart.
                      I think when you release the gas pedal it is just freewheeling, meaning no shift, then there will be a lag on acceleration again before it hooks up and goes in direct drive, with a jerk and a roar with no overdrive.

Unbolt the Solenoid, give it a 1/4 turn and remove and re-insert per the manual. You could also shine a small bright light in the hole looking for a chewed up notch in the shift bar.

Another thing to check, is whether or not the Engine is idling down to 650 RPM like it should, that will prevent a O.D. shift if too fast.

Also is the wire from the Kick-down switch connected to the Dist. or Coil (-) Terminal to "short out" the points?
                      Last edited by StudeRich; 10-15-2010, 04:43 PM.
                      StudeRich
                      Second Generation Stude Driver,
                      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

...I've got the same situation going on with my 63' 3.31 Cruiser....I think OD is overkill with this R/A...but...it is not engaging OD over 30 mph, and it continues to freewheel all the time....those are good articles on the B-W units...I will check the electrics next week...but 1st to the Octoberfest in it....and I'll just stay in "conventional" and break-in the rings some after a 10+ year nap........

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                          ...I've got the same situation going on with my 63' 3.31 Cruiser....I think OD is overkill with this R/A...but...it is not engaging OD over 30 mph, and it continues to freewheel all the time....those are good articles on the B-W units...I will check the electrics next week...but 1st to the Octoberfest in it....and I'll just stay in "conventional" and break-in the rings some after a 10+ year nap........
                          What do you mean by "contiues to freewheel all the time"?
                          "In the heart of Arkansas."
                          Searcy, Arkansas
                          1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                          1952 2R pickup

Comment

What do you mean by "continues to freewheel all the time"?

If the transmission does not shift into overdrive, and you let up on the gas the motor does not brake the forward movement of the car. This is continued freewheeling. If it does shift, then you let up on the gas, the motor brakes the forward movement, not freewheeling.

Comment

it may not be idling down that low, I will check that. Next question I thought it was governed by speed only . How does it know what the engine RPM is?

Comment

Working...
                              X