PDA

View Full Version : 56 Hawk, 53 Commander and 55 Speedster ... Need to sell.

Mikebuild
10-13-2010, 10:10 PM
Need some advice ...

We recently inherited 3 Studebakers from my father-in-law who has recently passed away. (He restored as a hobby) One is a 56 Golden Hawk, the other is 53 Commander and the third is a 55 Speedster. The Hawk was a daily driver some 20+ years ago. Have no idea if anything is original or not. I know it had been painted by him ... probably over 30 years ago or more. It has been parked in the carport during this time ... no idea if he ever started it, on occasion or not. Currently, it will turn over and cough a little, but haven’t got it started yet ... pretty sure it will run though. The 53 Commander was his next restoration project. He had gotten as far as dismantling the entire car. He had removed all body panels and stripped the interior. The car was complete when he began. He had aquired many new/refurb parts for this project. Short list ... rechromed bumpers, complete interior package, new glass, many other chrome parts, additional body panels, engine / tranny (auto), etc. (too much to list). The 55 speedster was/is a parts car. He had restored another speedster some years ago and still had this parts car. Consequently he had quite a few misc parts from that project. (you can see this restoration project, that he had sold, at : http://www.dragers.com/photos.php?sku=dgc7919&desc=1).

My dilemma is getting all these parts sorted out and coming up with a price for the entire package (all 3 cars and all the parts). My preference is to sell “it all” to the same buyer, but I realize that that buyer may be difficult to find. (These cars are all restoration projects.)

Any tips on establishing a value for these cars and parts? And ... good places to post “for sale” ads.

I will be posting pics fairly soon so you can see some of the inventory.

Thanks, Mike.
Olalla Wa.

studeclunker
10-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Selling all three vehicles and their parts to one person is the least desireable way to do this. Patience is a virtue, and also quite profitable. First thing: if dear old Dad had three Studebakers, he likely belonged to the Studebaker Driver's Club and the local chapter. Get in contact with the local club chapter. They can help you sort the parts and get these vehicles ready for sale.

The best venue for you to sell these vehicles at the present time is ebay. list all three of the vehicles individually. You will sell them faster and for a much higher profit. If you can persuade the local chapter members to help get the Hawk just running enough to drive onto a carrier or trailer, you've doubled the value of the vehicle right there. A non-running vehicle is very hard to get a premium price for.

Now, where are you? It's kinda hard for us to help you with such anominity. There just might be someone on this forum (though roughly only 4% of club members, guesstimate, log in here), who just might be in your neighborhood. ;) Also, and very importantly, pictures are very helpful.:D You may direct us to a photo storage account (Photobucket, Picasa, etc...) or post them directly in the thread. We really love pictures around here!:D

So, all the best. Let us know how we can be of help, and welcome to Studebakers (even if it's only temporary;))!:D

EDIT:
By the by, I forgot: Craigs List is another venue for selling cars. It has the virtue of being free, and the drawback of being very locality bound. In otherwords, if you list for your area, that's all the coverage you will get. ebay on the other hand, is world wide, though it certainly is'nt free. Both have their virtues, both have their drawbacks.

Bob Andrews
10-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Now, where are you? It's kinda hard for us to help you with such anominity.

Ron, it says right in his post, Olalla, WA.

(S)
10-14-2010, 12:15 AM
I'd come over and look at them. you are about 2 hundred miles from here.

woodysrods
10-14-2010, 12:54 AM
Can you post pictures?
I agree with Ron to some degree. You will get more money if you sell them individually. But, If it the ease of disposal you are looking for. Find a collector or Builder that will pay you one lump some and get rid of it all in one transaction. Otherwise you will be left with the not so desireable stuff (junk) at the end.
Good Luck with this. They are all projects I would love to have. But have two on the go now and the cost of transporting projects is not that cheap any more.
Brian

Don Kelstrom
10-14-2010, 08:47 AM
I would be glad to try to give you some help if we can work out the logistics. I live near the Fauntleroy Ferry Dock in Seattle. My first Studebaker was a 1955 Speedster I bought in 1960 and I still own one. I'm not interested in buying any more cars, but would be glad to pass on the information.

studeclunker
10-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Ron, it says right in his post, Olalla, WA.

Oh, so it does, Bob.:o Sorry, these tiny fonts are playing havoc with my vision.:o

Mikebuild
10-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the input ! I just got some pics loaded ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/37861197@N04/sets/ .
I couldn't get all of them loaded ... too many for my flickr account ... but you can see some of what I have to sell. Not pictured are many more misc parts for the Speedster and some of the goodies for the Commander. Very time consuming trying to figure out what goes to what.

Jeff_H
10-18-2010, 01:48 PM
I can ID some of those parts. I'll list what I can see/ID by the picture "name"...

Chrome parts:

1. Reproduction sill plates for probably the '53. Not sure if correct for the Speedster but would fit. These look like the ones made in the 90s.
2. Center grill for a '55
3. Pair of hawk side grills
4. Air cleaner for the Speedster?
5. '53 trunklid emblem "studebaker"
6. Set (partial?) of beltline mouldings for probably the '53. May also fit the speedster. These go on the doors and below the windshield on the outside of the car. I don't see the shorter pcs of the set unless they are on the bottom of the pile. There are 3 longer ones and 4 shorter ones, all with different curves, etc.
7. I think a '53 front bumper. Hard to be sure though.

Seat Frames:

1. Upper air deflector and hood latch for a '53.
2. '53 (probably) steering wheel. But would fit the speedster or the hawk but may not be the correct color.
3. Pair of trunk lid hinges that fit all 3 of the cars in question.
4. The 2 rustier seat frames look like they are for the '53.
5. The less rusty ones for either the speedster or the hawk. One has a power motor. I am not familiar enough on those to tell what is what other than they are not '53 frames.

Dash:

A speedster dash for sure

Tail lights and stuff:

1. Pair of tail lights and lens for either the '55 or the hawk I think. I believe there is a notch on the hawk ones compare to the speedster but not sure where to look.
2. Horn rings: The full circle one is a speedster, the other 2 for the '53 and the hawk
3. trunk lid emblem (studebaker president) for the speedster
4. Interior passenger side vent door and some vent screens will fit any of the cars. The flat ones go on the passenger side but the domed one for the driver side.
5. pair of studebaker front fender scripts for the hawk.
6. Starter for ?? Red paint implies for the hawk I think.
7. Dunno whats in the bag or about the mirrors.

Hood:

A '53 hood for sure. Its a "early" one from the 8 emblem on the nose. Basically means the '53 being worked on was from the first half of '53 production.

Fender vent doors:

These will fit any of the cars.

(S)
10-18-2010, 03:07 PM
Emails sent but no answer. Mike, while logged in, click on where it says 'notifications' near where you log in at the top of the page.

PlainBrownR2
10-18-2010, 04:02 PM
The starter looks like a familiar starter, but I have never seen a starter, with what looks like that version of a starter solenoid before.

StudeRich
10-18-2010, 04:34 PM
The starter looks like a familiar starter, but I have never seen a starter, with what looks like that version of a starter solenoid before.

I never have either! That would probably be because it's for a Packard Engine!

PlainBrownR2
10-18-2010, 04:57 PM
Yep, 1955 Packard Delco Starter. I have a Delco on the Lark and I believe the '55(been awhile since I looked under there. Good name and a good starter, pity they didn't stay around long enough for the Studes

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1954-53-52-51-57-56-58-59-60-50-Packard-Starter-1107635-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4cf27ace99QQitemZ330485649049QQptZVintageQ5fCarQ5fTr uckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

StudeRich
10-18-2010, 07:09 PM
I don't know what you mean by "didn't stay around" GM Delco is still in business the last I heard, but they did make the good '56 to '60 Stude. V-8 Starters, and that's pretty much all I care about, I don't drive a 2000 Chevy!

I always liked them better than the Prestolite Starters, but actually I have never had a problem with those at all!

The only cheaply made units were the V-8 Distributors and all Alternators, the Starters must have just been just a continuation of the old Autolite design, which really never gave any problems.

PlainBrownR2
10-18-2010, 07:26 PM
I don't know what you mean by "didn't stay around" GM Delco is still in business the last I heard, but they did make the good '56 to '60 Stude. V-8 Starters, and that's pretty much all I care about, I don't drive a 2000 Chevy!

I always liked them better than the Prestolite Starters, but actually I have never had a problem with those at all!

That's what I meant. When they picked up and left Studebaker, they took the Delco distributor and the starters with them, and they left Studebaker with the Prestolite line of course. I like the Delcos because they are a beefier unit, which means they will take a little more excessive cranking than the Prestolites.

woodysrods
10-18-2010, 11:27 PM
So have you come up with any prices yet? Are you selling any of the parts shown? What is happening here?
Brian

Don Jeffers
10-19-2010, 10:29 PM
Mike,

I sent you a private message with an offer.

DJ

Mikebuild
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Have posted pics of all parts:
http://s98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/mikebuild/Studebaker%20parts%20and%20cars/

For more info email Mike at: mikenallisonbrazil@msn.com

RL Elder
10-28-2010, 09:43 PM
I just won a bid on 55 speedster that I am sure could use all the speedster parts you show in the photos.let me now what you decide to do. Lynn

RL Elder
10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
I sent you a e-mail about the speedster parts but got no reply my e-mail is elder312@hotmail.com thanks send me a phone # and I will cal you R L Elder

JGlenn
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Hello everyone, I think some of you might be able to help me with some parts for a Speedster. I need a tach, and once I dig farther into it, possibly quite a bit more, but for now a tach seems to be the one part I know I don't have. So, if anyone happens to have one they would sell, please speak up!