New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Thought I had better be polite and say hello. I am new to Studebakers. Not so new to the car hobby.
    I just got a 55 coupe and will have lots o' questions along the way. It has a six and three speed. It is a runner and driver so all is good there. It also came with a 283 SBC but for the time being I will keep the six.
    I found a web site that had goodies for the six but since the site is down. Don't know if I just stumbled on a cached site and got lucky. It was Cathcart Studebaker. Is Bill Cathcart still around or am I a dollar short and a decade late? I saw an adapter for a t-5, exhaust headers and a finned aluminum head. Be nice if I could still get that stuff. I am sure you will steer me in the right direction.

Don't mean to be long winded. Here's what I got
    Working on old cars separates the men from the golfers.

Welcome aboard. First things first, join the Studebaker Drivers Club. You will receive the outstanding monthly magazine Turning Wheels. The latest edition has an ad for Cathcart's Studebaker. He is the go-to guy for hop up gear for the Stude 6. www.cathcartsstudebaker.com. Looks like you have a great car to start with.

That address is not working for me right now. The ad lists an email of studebill1@wmconnect.com. Give that a try. Also phone # 860-564-5852
    Last edited by ddub; 10-12-2010, 07:54 PM.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

That car looks like a good place to start. Good luck with it.

Comment

Hello and welcome,

I second the motion (join the club). You have the same car I started with some years ago. The slope is slippery and before you know it you will have another Studebaker. Check out the most local club you have and get to know the members (our local club has been a HUGE help to me as I work on my Studes). Look forward to seeing your progress.

Regards,
        John Brayton
        John Brayton

Comment

Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of Studebakers ....
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386
          Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
            Welcome to the Forum and the wonderful world of Studebakers ....
            Did you type that with a straight face?

Tom
            '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
            Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
            http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
            I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Welcome Steve, if you happen to be in the Spokane area we have a very active chapter where you could find help, and friendly people.

Comment

Welcome, beautiful car...enjoy the ride...

Comment

Welcome! It certainly looks as if you are beginning your Studebaker experience with a great car. I love the idea of keeping the six and putting it through some Cathcart modifications. The advice about joining the SDC and your local chapter is some of the best you could get. I'm looking forward to seeing the progress you make with your car. Please keep us updated.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Welcome.
                    My '55 looks just like your's. (a biggo, biggo (G) Alpena blue bottom and a Windsor blue top.

But I have a few more hours of work before mine looks as good as yours. (G)

Is the color ID label still on the bottom of your glove box?

That's what he looked like a four (6-9-10) months ago when I first aquired him.
                    Here's what he looks like now.

Here's a link to the slideshow of the progress so far.

Last edited by Jerry Forrester; 10-13-2010, 05:00 AM.
                    Jerry Forrester
                    Forrester's Chrome
                    Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Originally posted by jallen View Post
                      Welcome Steve, if you happen to be in the Spokane area we have a very active chapter where you could find help, and friendly people.
                      I am out in the Spangle area. Wouldn't mind checking out the local club. PM me if you like.

Comment

Way to go! I have a 55 Commander 8 cyl. My next project will be a coupe with a six, and I have Cathcart dreams for it. You have excellent taste!
                        Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Very nice car! Congrats on it and welcome to the forum.

Joe
                          sigpic

1962 Daytona
                          1964 Cruiser
                          And a few others

Comment

Thanks for the warm welcome. I am learning alot.

Comment

Welcome to SDC and to the SDC Forum! Nice looking car, looks like you need to contact local Members to find some STUDEBAKER Wheel Covers, those aftermarket ones are close to correct, but not as nice as the real deal.

If you you like the contrasting wheel color look, the original small "bottle caps" are available NEW at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com and used, or at swap meets or ebay. They are similar to the simple, smooth dished gold center stock wheel covers in design and also look good.
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X