1959 studebaker silver hawk brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1959 studebaker silver hawk brakes

got it about a year ago ...dont drive it much... brake pedal went to the floor when i went to drive it the other day... looked under the hood to check fluid level and couldnt find it... the brake fluid reservoir?

Its under the driverside floor mat.

Gordon

Comment

(Victor...Welcome to the Studebaker forum. Please take the following comments in a loving, but stern fashion).

Now don't take this wrong, but... WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU THINKING ABOUT!
      The very first thing you should ever, ever do with an old car is CHECK THE BRAKES!!!
      Owned it almost a year, and you haven't even checked the brakes?????????
      Shame on you. Shame on your local SDC chapter (assuming you belong to the SDC and a local chapter)
      Now.... Rant over...
      Start here.
      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tech_things2do.asp
      Next...
      Find a Stude guy to go over your Stude with you.
      Heck... Bring it to me and I'll check it out for you....for free.
      No excuses.
      "We" are all playing with Stude's for 1 reason.... We like them.
      Putting any Studebaker 'at risk' because basic maintenance has been ignored is worthy of a stern father/son lecture!
      (No matter how old you are, or how many brothers and sisters you have)
      Let's get with the program and think of the Studebaker first, your innocent partners sharing the road with you second, and lastly, you and your passengers.

Originally posted by victorb153 View Post
      got it about a year ago ...dont drive it much... brake pedal went to the floor when i went to drive it the other day... looked under the hood to check fluid level and couldnt find it... the brake fluid reservoir?
      Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-11-2010, 12:27 PM.
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Good advice Jeff. In this case the most likely scenario is the Under the floor Master Cyl. is shot and available at Studebaker Vendors at studebakervendors.com

However do not stop there, as the rest of the Brake System obviously needs attention, that is new or re-built Wheel Cylinders (4), Brake flex lines, rubber (3) possibly the steel lines need replacing, or at least a good flushing and checking. If you thoroughly clean and replace the system parts you will have the option of installing DOT 5 Silicone Brake Fluid and preventing this condition from re-occurring for at least 20 to 40 years.

Of course this will give you opportunity to check and most likely replace the Brake Shoes and turn or replace the Drums as well. THEN you are ready to safely DRIVE your Stude.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I bought it 2 years ago and got tonsil cancer went thru radiation and chemo and operation ( i got a bit of chemo fog they call it) i am doing quite well now... dont worry i dont mind getting my balls busted... I live in Rhode Island and Costa Rica .. i have a 4 year old son and a Costarican wife who is 5 months pregnant.. plus i have a 1977 AMC Gremlin X... 1976 AMC Pacer X ...1985 Subaru Brat... 1966 Chevy Van... 1965 Amphicar... 1966 Fiat 500... and a 1960's VW Dunebuggy .... I still manage to drive them every couple weeks for several miles each,,,all are in great shape the Hawk only has 27,000 original miles on it and was perfect a few weeks ago i just jumped in to take it ..and foot went to the floor ... she starts right up . I blew the turbo on my VW dunebuggy and ran out of gas with my fiat 500 and got crap in the lines i think so this upcoming month i am going to get into mechanic mode and spend a week fixing everything... Never even had to look at the Hawk she was mint when i got her and purred like a kitten and brakes were perfect i probably only put a couple hundred miles on her in 2 years ... i would check the oil and water and take her for a little spin probably wouldhave check the brake fluid if i had seen a reservoir....its wierd i dont see a puddle and she was perfect last ride a few weeks ago ...then just right to floor nothing this time i got in it.
          Thanks for the advice Victor Brown

Comment

Odd that there is no puddle, but if it's not leaking the cup in the master cylinder may not be sealing for some reason. Let us know what you find.
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

First, I second what Jeff said.

It may or may not be the master cylinder. It may be leaking from a wheel cylinder and that is why you do not see a puddle.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

thanks guys i will get back when i solve the problem

Comment

Not to hijack Victor's topic, but my question doesn't seem worth starting a new topic for. I'm overhauling the brakes on my hawk, it's got silicone fluid in it and have been told to keep using it, but the master cylinder from Stude Int had "use dot 3 only" written on the cap. Will it be OK to put dot 5 in it ?

Comment

As long as you 'start' ALL your components fresh with DOT5, you will be fine.
                    New master cylinder, and wheel cylinders. (Or rebuilt, but flushed of any DOT3 fluid)
                    Flush all the brake lines of any DOT3.
                    Then run all DOT5.

Originally posted by Michael S View Post
                    Not to hijack Victor's topic, but my question doesn't seem worth starting a new topic for. I'm overhauling the brakes on my hawk, it's got silicone fluid in it and have been told to keep using it, but the master cylinder from Stude Int had "use dot 3 only" written on the cap. Will it be OK to put dot 5 in it ?
                    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I put all new lines and cylinders on my '55, filled them with Dot 5, bled the brakes and was good to go, I thought. Next day the pedal went to the floor. I put more fluid in, pumped the brakes and looked under the car. The connector at the rear axle was leaking, I could see the drops falling, but they evaporated as they hit the floor, no puddle. Of course, it hit the floor as I was backing out of the garage, (down slope). I did some fancy backing until I could maneuver the back end up a slight slope, to stop the car. No, The car was not road ready, the E Brake was not assembled, let alone adjusted.

Standard practice now is to get in, sit down, press hard on the brake pedal and start the car. I just now realized why I do it that way.

Comment

Working...
                      X