Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outer Banks Tour , an excellent adventure.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outer Banks Tour , an excellent adventure.

We just got home from a 4 day three night adventure to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Ten Studebakers (well 9 and one newer Avanti) survived the weekend with no major mechanical issues. A whole bunch of miles and a whole bunch of smiles. I can't wait for the next one.

Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

Cool!! Was this with the Eastern Carolina Chapter?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
      We just got home from a 4 day three night adventure to the Outer Banks of North Carolina. Ten Studebakers (well 9 and one newer Avanti) survived the weekend with no major mechanical issues. A whole bunch of miles and a whole bunch of smiles. I can't wait for the next one.

I wish I could say the same, we had nothing but mechanical issues and even got rear ended on our adventure to boot. The Outer Banks was a wonderful trip I did last summer with my Girlfriend, we were having a really good time until EARL arrived and made us leave.

We arrived at your location too late in the day to get a decent picture with the sun directly in the camera

Looks like a great adventure with all the Stude's. Thanks for sharing, it sure brings back some memories of our own adventure

Allen
      1964 GT Hawk
      PSMCDR 2014
      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
      PSMCDR 2013
      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Paul,
        Yes it was the Eastern North Carolina chapter. With all of the other activities going on last weekend, I was really surprised with the turnout we had. It was like a mini car show everywhere we went, especially on the two ferries we were on.

Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

I think that the only mechanical issues we had were a u-joint going bad on the 63 4 door Lark and some fuel / carb issues on my car (Ugly Betty). After stopping for a fuel filter change and driving my car like I stole it for a few minutes, she straightened out and ran like a clock for the rest of the trip. The 53 Commander had a little issue with it's exhaust system and the first ferry we were on. The car scraped against the ramp on the way off of the ferry and broke a stud off of the manifold, but in true Studebaker form, the 53 motored right along for the rest of the tour.
          It was kind of a strange feeling driving out to the first ferry where there is absolutely nothing around but road, marsh and water. I was really thankful that no one had any problems on that part of the trip.
          Jamie McLeod
          Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
          1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
          1955 Commander Sedan
          1964 Champ
          1960 Lark

Comment

Wow, I'd loved to have gone on that trip! Guess it's time to join the Eastern Carolina Chapter also........
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Come on down (or over). We have fun and are cooking up some more interesting stuff for future events. I took both of my sons out of school for this trip since it was educational with the trips to museums, the lighthouse and the Wright Brothers Memorial. I wonder if the schools will excuse their absences.
              Jamie McLeod
              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
              1955 Commander Sedan
              1964 Champ
              1960 Lark

Comment

We (the Potomac Chapter) did the same thing in '05- great trip.
                We started from the Washington, DC area on Friday, drove to Yorktown, VA then on to Jamestown via the Colonial Parkway where we took the ferry across the James River and on to Smithfield, VA. We spent the first night at Smithfield Station, a really neat hotel right on the water. It turned out that the owner was an old car guy too. He showed up in the morning to see us off driving his immaculate '50 Ford 1/2-ton pickup.
                From Smithfield we headed toward North Carolina meeting up with some Colonial Virginia SDCers at the NC line. Then we went on to Kitty Hawk, NC and on to Manteo for lunch. We went on to Cape Hatteras and spent Saturday night at the Comfort Inn at Buxton. We had dinner at the Austin Creek Grille in Hatteras Village- wonderful meal and service, but there was one little problem. They wouldn't give us separate tickets so it was my job to split up the $507.95 bill and collect from everyone. Sunday morning we drove to Hatteras Village and took the free ferry to Okracoke Island, poked around there for a while then took the (not free) ferry to Swan Quarter, about a two hour and 45 minute ride. From Swan Quarter we went on to Edenton, NC (a well kept secret- beautiful little town with more mansions per capita than just about anywhere). Monday morning we left Edenton and headed home.
                For us this was about 1,000 miles of driving. For one of our travelers it was a bit of a nightmare. He has a fear of heights and the large number of high bridges on our route nearly did him in.
                Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                  We (the Potomac Chapter) did the same thing in '05- great trip.
                  We started from the Washington, DC area on Friday, <SNIP TO SAVE ROOM> We had dinner at the Austin Creek Grille in Hatteras Village- wonderful meal and service, but there was one little problem. They wouldn't give us separate tickets so it was my job to split up the $507.95 bill and collect from everyone...............
                  Beautiful trip! Nothing like a trip like this, get the cobwebs out and a chance to just relax. I was stationed near that area and got a chance to see much of it. I thought that area had some of the most diverse and beautiful scenery in the country.

I was gonna bite my tongue, but.... No doubt, on a trip like this, a fella has the tendency to splurge a bit, but being a true, dyed-in-the-wool, CASO, an average of $25 dollars per person, per meal, plus drinks, is more than my ol' heart could stand. No WONDER the bill was over $500.00! 5 buck house wine and 7 buck "strudel" Unless the chef was cooking Kobe beef at the tables, I'm thinkin' that 15 buck-a-roos is more than fair for something like "veal parm". I hope all the "doggy bags" weighed about 10 pounds apiece!

On a side note... Next time, mebbe you could try the places at the outer banks that specialize in seafood. There are many, many places there where the restaurants are situated right on the docks, right where the fishing boats come in. Not only is it picturesque, but a fella cannot get fresher, down-home prepared seafood, AND, due to the competition, at reasonable prices. Hard to beat melt-in-your-mouth hush puppies, home-made onion rings, mounds of fresh shrimp, a big slab of crab-stuffed flounder, or a thick tuna steak, etc.. Just a suggestion...

Thanks a million for the great info & pics of the trip!
                  Sonny
                  http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sonny View Post
                    Beautiful trip! Nothing like a trip like this, get the cobwebs out and a chance to just relax. I was stationed near that area and got a chance to see much of it. I thought that area had some of the most diverse and beautiful scenery in the country.

I was gonna bite my tongue, but.... No doubt, on a trip like this, a fella has the tendency to splurge a bit, but being a true, dyed-in-the-wool, CASO, an average of $25 dollars per person, per meal, plus drinks, is more than my ol' heart could stand. No WONDER the bill was over $500.00! 5 buck house wine and 7 buck "strudel" Unless the chef was cooking Kobe beef at the tables, I'm thinkin' that 15 buck-a-roos is more than fair for something like "veal parm". I hope all the "doggy bags" weighed about 10 pounds apiece!

On a side note... Next time, mebbe you could try the places at the outer banks that specialize in seafood. There are many, many places there where the restaurants are situated right on the docks, right where the fishing boats come in. Not only is it picturesque, but a fella cannot get fresher, down-home prepared seafood, AND, due to the competition, at reasonable prices. Hard to beat melt-in-your-mouth hush puppies, home-made onion rings, mounds of fresh shrimp, a big slab of crab-stuffed flounder, or a thick tuna steak, etc.. Just a suggestion...

Thanks a million for the great info & pics of the trip!
                    Hi Sonny,
                    The Austin Creek Grille stop was a splurge. We went to Golden Corral the next night. Friday dinner was at Smithfield Station, not as expensive and many had seafood there. Saturday lunch was at Darrell's in Manteo- great seafood at CASO prices. The Grille is actually over the water at Hatteras Landing about 100 feet from the ferry landing and they have a great seafood menu. I guess most were just not in to seafood Saturday night.
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Thank you for the pictures of the trip. Looks like everyone had a good time.
                      Do you have a picture of the '53 Commander? Looks like it could be my cars twin.
                      Gary Sanders
                      Nixa, MO

Comment

If your car has a red interior, you may have a twin. I'll see if I can scare up some pics.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Please vote for Paul Warta Tourmaster NCSDC.................
                          Jack White
                          Charlotte,NC
                          North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                            Hi Sonny,
                            The Austin Creek Grille stop was a splurge. We went to Golden Corral the next night. Friday dinner was at Smithfield Station, not as expensive and many had seafood there. Saturday lunch was at Darrell's in Manteo- great seafood at CASO prices. The Grille is actually over the water at Hatteras Landing about 100 feet from the ferry landing and they have a great seafood menu. I guess most were just not in to seafood Saturday night.
                            The Austin Creek Grill is one of the best places I have ever eaten . I have eaten there more than once. I have eaten seafood and steaks and both were excellent. We also had the Austin Creek Grill cator our sons wedding practice dinner. The were about 60 miles south of the wedding and still the food arrived plenty warm and very good. Not over or under cooked.

I had planned to got on the ENCSDC Outer Banks Tour, but the early arrival of our son and daughter-in-law's first baby and our newest grandbaby took us to the other end of the state. I hate that I was not able to attend, but sometimes there are just more important things to do.
                            Joe Roberts
                            '61 R1 Champ
                            '65 Cruiser
                            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Well, next time, have Matt bring his wife to the Outer Banks to have the baby. <G>
                              Jamie McLeod
                              Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                              1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                              1955 Commander Sedan
                              1964 Champ
                              1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                              X