Ever hear of this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever hear of this?

I noticed the passenger side back up lamp didn't work on my 1962 Lark. Checking it out I found a wire from the harness in the trunk that goes across from the driver's side back up lamp to the passenger side. However it wsn't connected. The reason is that on the passenger side back up lamp housing, there is no hole for the bulb socket to fit in. It is just a solid housing with no evidence of it ever having a lamp socket. From the outside it looks the same as the driver's side. Seems crazy to me. ???

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
    I noticed the passenger side back up lamp didn't work on my 1962 Lark. Checking it out I found a wire from the harness in the trunk that goes across from the driver's side back up lamp to the passenger side. However it wsn't connected. The reason is that on the passenger side back up lamp housing, there is no hole for the bulb socket to fit in. It is just a solid housing with no evidence of it ever having a lamp socket. From the outside it looks the same as the driver's side. Seems crazy to me. ???
    Some modelz offered a one lamp BU option.
    JDP Maryland

Comment

Certainly doesn't make sense. As John indicated, earlier models offered one lamp or even no lamps. The '62 would look odd without lenses on both sides and, I suppose, that may be the way it was built. Still...odd.
      It would not be at all difficult to drill the housing and insert a socket, available at your local FLAPS.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

The housing you have on the right side was must likely replaced "in the day" with a non-back-up light housing when a fender bender was repaired. It was cheaper and maybe no one was willing to search out the correct one due to the 1970's value of a Studebaker being a notch above the scrap value. Also remember Studebaker Dealers were not located everywhere at that time, and there was NO internet!

Also a FO could have replaced the damaged one with what he had or from another car.

I have never seen a later Stude. that had the built-in type back-up lights or provisions for same, as opposed to the ad-on, drill the holes type that had only one of them.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Maybe there was a CASO on the assembly line that day,lol.

Comment

Made me hit the parts book where it lists "backup lamp dummy" for 62's and even for early Hawks.
            JDP Maryland

Comment

"Backup Lamp Dummy". Interesting. Makes you wonder why they would bother when the wire is right there on the harness. Sounds like like something one of today's manufacturer's would do to save the cost of the bulb and socket, and they probably would if it weren't a safety requirement.

Comment

The dummy with lens was eventually replaced by the "wiring harness and lamp body ready" dummy type. The reason would be to lower costs by having a sole standardized part, when there was an integrated taillamp and backup light body, whether backup worked or not. My grandfather's mid-range 63 Chevy II came like this, it was just missing the bulb and socket, the connection from the bulb and socket to the harness, and a switch to make it operate. The AC kits for Studebakers where there was a backup lens present on all car models of the year for styling reasons works the same way, ie for 1956, 57, 58 cars as an example. It wasn't so much the saving on the bulb, socket and switch, as a possible profit point for adding in an accessory when ordering. Once you were committed to one or two accessories, who knows, a good salesman might get you to order a few more, or shift up a model where the accessory was standard, for some extra profit points.

Comment

Integrated back-up Lights?

Jim; you just KNEW some smart a$$ was going to catch you on that year range: '56-'58 didn't ya? Lol!

Well you were right, in '56 that only applies to non-Hawks! Maybe '62 to '66 Larks and Lark Types would have been a better example!
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X