front fenders Silver Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• front fenders Silver Hawk

Hey. I'm going to have my 1958 Silver Hawk painted and there is old body work done on both front fenders. Will I be able to find any replacement fenders with no previous work done on them?

Chances: slim, very slim and NONE! Good repairable ones like maybe yours are...yes!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
      Chances: slim, very slim and NONE! Good repairable ones like maybe yours are...yes!
      I sold my last NOS pair for $2500 and that was 5 years ago.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

I recently finished a 61 Hawk. I found NOS fenders are available. Most guys want over $1000.00 for NOS each. They are around. Reedsville and York almost always have GOOD or NOS fenders. E-Bay has had them often. It's just a matter of time and money. Keep posting here that you want to BUY them, put an ad in Turning Wheels, and if possible make a swap meet in South Bend, Reedsville or York. You will find them.

Comment

Chances are that if you found NOS fenders, some work would be required to "fit" them to your car. Depending on what you mean by "previous repairs," ...if it was not done properly, now is your chance to correct any substandard work that was done. By that I mean, if holes were patched with fiberglass, or rust was merely covered up with body filler, or dents not properly worked out, you can take this opportunity to do it right. Flush weld new metal in the holes or work the dents and creases so that the final body filler will not be any thicker than 3/16" thick.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

THERE IS ONE ON E-BAY RIGHT NOW. JUST PUT "STUDEBAKER FENDER"
            Do not search with the word Hawk, because the listing hits on Studebaker Fender
            NOS Studebaker coupe lh fender 1953-64?
            Buy It Now $950.00
            +$75.00 shipping Time left:25d 19h 38m

Comment

I assume the existing repairs were to the rear edges and vent areas. On my '53 the left fender was rusting through and the right had been repaired sometime prior to 1974, puttied and primed. In the course of my restoration I stripped everything back to steel and found the earlier repair had been hammered in and new steel welded over top then puttied. The result was I had two layers of rusted crappy steel.
              I got the repair panels from Classic Enterprises and, with a great deal of patience, managed to keep both original fenders.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Great color.
                '53 Commander
                Art Morrison chassis
                LS6 ASA/4L60E

Comment

great body work- looks wonderful!