Run the fender guards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run the fender guards?

Most of you regulars know the gray 52 here. After all the bodywork and paint, one part that still sits on the shelf are the stainless fender guards. I like these when I see other 52's, but I'm not sold on installing them on mine. Not great pictures, but which look is better?
    Attached Files
    NO, leave them off
    25.71%
    YES, they should be there
    74.29%

The poll is expired.

If you DON'T install them, that area of the fender will get peppered by small gravel. Been there, had that happen.

Comment

I think they look great on there. And no, I'm not saying that just because I redo stainless, they really "make the car" in my opinion.

Comment

Usually, less is more. This is a case of function overcoming that saying. Use 'em.
        Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The car looks incomplete without them, IMHO.

Comment

sorry guys to me it says hot rod with em off and grama"s car with mags with on just one guys opinion, nice car eather way

Comment

I voted for stainless, yes.

Comment

I vote for stainless.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

I vote for the Guards can't tell you my reason.
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

Function over form....
                    I love the way the car looks without them (mostly due to the color)
                    BUT... I have to submit.... they will do their job and stop damage to your car later. I say keep them on.. they were designed there for a reason, not "sparkle/bling"

Comment

You could try for the smaller gravel guards. I know they are hard to find, but is a compromise.

Mark

Comment

$0.02 before depreciation.
                        Usually I am a 'fully stock' guy, but....They are there for a good reason, but IMO leave them off your car. Less looks right for your car right now, and leaving them on might look like you hadn't thought out the stock/custom look fully, especially keeping them with those rims. Sell them to someone who is keeping their car fully stock, and just be prepared to do some touchup work on the paint in that area on a more frequent timetable.

Comment

Alternative if you like the clean look is to cover the area with the clear plastic that 3M makes (I think). I saw a nice car with that applied to the frontal area last week. It was noticeable on close inspection, but I think in that location on yours it would hardly be noticed and would protect it from most dings. If something hit it hard enough to ding through the plastic, it would also ding stainless.

Pat
                          Pat Dilling
                          Olivehurst, CA
                          Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

i'll give a "yes" - especially if you can shine 'em up to match the wheels' sheen...
                            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Mine's a 51 and they had smaller guards. Mine did not have any and I put them on. I say put 'em on!!!!
                              Jon Stalnaker
                              Karel Staple Chapter SDC

Comment

Working...
                              X