The '51 is ready for the show!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The '51 is ready for the show!

I've spent the past 2 days going over Tom Elliott's '51 Coupe to get it ready for the Southeast Zone Meet. Tuesday I installed a new water pump (which was a pain as I had to ream out the mounting holes so I could align it without any interference), as well as a basic tune up.

Today I polished the chrome, washed and waxed the paint and cleaned the glass. A couple of little things to do tomorrow, then we're ready to head out.

What color is that? Could it be Black Cherry?

Comment

[QUOTE=mbstude;493300]I've spent the past 2 days going over Tom Elliott's '51 Coupe to get it ready for the Southeast Zone Meet. Tuesday I installed a new water pump (which was a pain as I had to ream out the mounting holes so I could align it without any interference), as well as a basic tune up.

Today I polished the chrome, washed and waxed the paint and cleaned the glass. A couple of little things to do tomorrow, then we're ready to head out.

Holy crap, Studebaker never expected to see a business coupe dress out like that. It's pretty with all the extra jewelry though.
      JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
        Holy crap, Studebaker never expected to see a business coupe dressed out like that. It's pretty with all the extra jewelry though.
        JDP Maryland

Comment

Nice work, Matthew. How is Tom doing, BTW? BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
            I've spent the past 2 days going over Tom Elliott's '51 Coupe to get it ready for the Southeast Zone Meet. Tuesday I installed a new water pump (which was a pain as I had to ream out the mounting holes so I could align it without any interference), as well as a basic tune up.

Well Matt, even though you and Tom might have the trophy "in the bag," I might show up in my little '48 business coupe (Belle) anyway. Although she sits on an old set of Coker Firestone wide whites, she sports very little bling except for a set of fog lights. The chrome is semi OK. I will wash it but I am not going to spend much time polishing it. If I make the 120 miles with no major incident, I am willing to accept the collection of insects on the front of the hood, grille and fenders.
            John Clary
            Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by ST2DE5 View Post
              Black Cherry is a dark red maroon color.
              Gary Sanders
              Nixa, MO

Comment

Beautiful car, are you going to bring it to the Florida state meet?

Comment

The color is "Ford Probe Blue". It changes shades in different lighting and really is a striking color. Today is the first time I've seen it really shined up and it does look great.

BP, Tom is doing pretty good. His spirits continue to stay high and he is VERY excited to see the car finally "done" enough to make a big show. He also said THANK YOU for the card that you sent.

The car won't be at the Florida State meet. That's a good 8 hour drive from Tom's house. I'll be at the meet, but neither Tom or his car will be there.
                  Last edited by mbstude; 10-06-2010, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Looking good, Matt. I still have a lot of details to finish, but finally loaded it up and will do what I can on site. Mostly little stuff, the biggest being the ignition shields. Took time out to take John Shannahan for a run. I think he had a good time after I threw him the keys.
                    Jim
                    Often in error, never in doubt
                    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

That thing looks GREAT, good job!
                      Jeff DeWitt
                      http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

You got it lookin' good Matt. Best wishes to Tom and family and to You. Wish I could make the meet.

Comment

Hey Jim, I like how your cat is admiring your Avanti.

Comment

Is that a fart pipe I see sticking out from under the "bumber"?

Comment

Later today I'll have the radio installed. I've already put a new faceplate, dial glass, and buttons on the radio, just have to put it back in the car. After that I'll post a pic of the interior, the Ruby Red steering wheel is the prettiest thing on the whole car.

Originally posted by 65cruiser View Post
                              Is that a fart pipe I see sticking out from under the "bumber"?
                              Not a chance. <G> Factory exhaust tip.

Last edited by mbstude; 10-07-2010, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X