Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

57 Packard wagon on "Chasing Classic Cars".

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Packard wagon on "Chasing Classic Cars".

The new season of "Chasing Classic Cars" began tonight on the Discovery's HD Theater network.
    Wayne Carini owner of F40 Motorsports (think Ferraris and Bugattis more than Studes) goes to the auction where they sold off the "57 Heaven" Museum in Branson, Missouri. He flies in a client's private jet, he'll advise him on some cars the guy is interested in. But we don't see that, we see Wayne buying cars for his high end exotic/sports/classic cars dealership.

He buys the 57 Packard wagon...Lilac and white...for $47,500.
    He ships it back to his shop in Conn. and decides to sell it at the Goodings Montery Auction.
    While he's driving it, the brakes fail. The car sat in the museum for 10+ years, so he's not too surprised.
    His mechanic tells him to get a rebuilt brake booster because he can't get parts to rebuild it himself.
    They get a new brake booster from Studebaker-International (they mention it by name), get it running and ship it to Montery.

It's a no reserve auction and bidding starts verrrry slowly. It finally sells for $52,500...probably a $5K loss when you consider the shipping and entry fees.

That's life in the fast lane...lose a few grand here, make a few grand on the next Ferrari deal.

At least S-I got a plug.
    Last edited by JBOYLE; 10-05-2010, 08:03 PM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

I saw that too. It was a nice car, and one of the few cars where purple actually works but even $47,500 seems like a LOT of money for one of those cars.
    Jeff DeWitt
    http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Ahh. that would be Lilac Jeff!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        Ahh. that would be Lilac Jeff!
        It still looks like pale purple to me! <G>

It's not a color I'd EVER pick but it worked on that car.
        Jeff DeWitt
        http://carolinastudes.net

Comment

Working...
        X