Production Order: Schooling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Production Order: Schooling?

I received my production order from the SNM and am surprised what it tells me and what it doesn't say. I can only assume those items on the car that are not mentioned by the PO were installed by the dealer. The cars serial number indicates it was assembled in Los Angeles.
    What I don't know and hope someone can explain (red text):
    Destination: (Newman) Where/who?
    How To Ship: (B & H) ?
    Climitizer: (2193) ?
    Trim No.: (7843) ?
    Tinted Class: windshield/all windows ?
    Seat Covers: what were the factory seat cover like? ?

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
    I received my production order from the SNM and am surprised what it tells me and what it doesn't say. I can only assume those items on the car that are not mentioned by the PO were installed by the dealer. The cars serial number indicates it was assembled in Los Angeles.
    What I don't know and hope someone can explain (red text):
    Destination: (Newman) Where/who?
    How To Ship: (B & H) ?
    Climitizer: (2193) ?
    Trim No.: (7843) ?
    Tinted Class: windshield/all windows ?
    Seat Covers: what were the factory seat cover like? ?
    The climatizer #2193 is the climatizer and heater for 51-52 models. I'm guessing the Newman means it's going to Newman & Altman Motors, the dealer in South Bend. I have no idea about the B&H for shipping. Maybe two guys named Bob and Hank drove it to the dealer? Other than that, I have no idea about the other items. Big help, huh?
    Chip
    '63 Cruiser
    '57 Packard wagon
    '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
    '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Every bit helps, I believe the Newman destination but have to wonder about shipping from LA to SB, when they were making them in SB, just got to wonder what they were thinking.

Comment

"B&H" is B&H Freight Lines, a long-haul trucker still around today. They're based in Kansas, I believe.

Interesting that a car assembled in Vernon would be shipped back cross-country to N&A in South Bend via truck...! Maybe "Newman" is not the obvious place.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
          >>>Interesting that a car assembled in Vernon would be shipped back cross-country to N&A in South Bend via truck...! Maybe "Newman" is not the obvious place.
          Shipped to a Studebaker Dealership in NEWMAN, CALIFORNIA

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
            Shipped to a Studebaker Dealership in NEWMAN, CALIFORNIA
            Are you going to make us search the Studebaker dealers thread to see if there was one there?
            Chip
            '63 Cruiser
            '57 Packard wagon
            '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

The only Studebaker connection I find in Newman CA is a Packard dealership named Albert Rose listed on the web site: http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...lerPackard.htm from the Studebaker Drivers Club techtips page, however Studebaker and Packard were not yet married in 1952.

Comment

Newman and Altman didn't become a Studebaker dealer until 1959.

Albert A. Rose was the dealership where Fred Fox's '64 Hawk was delivered new--I remember that from the excellent "Cars and Parts" article on the car quite a while back.

I gotta believe if Newman, CA had a Packard dealer in '52, it probably also had a Stude dealer. I think if a town had one or the other, it was more likely to have a Stude dealer first.
                Bill Pressler
                Kent, OH
                (formerly Greenville, PA)
                Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                All are in Australia now

Comment

Seat Covers were usually woven saran plastic (breathable) and some years they were called Seat "Toppers" just temporary protectors for a few years til they wear out and easily replaced, it would be quite rare to be Factory Installed, does the AC Part Number have a "X" in front of it, indicating loose item shipped in the Trunk?
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by fatboylust View Post
                    The only Studebaker connection I find in Newman CA is a Packard dealership named Albert Rose listed on the web site: http://www.automotivehistoryonline.c...lerPackard.htm from the Studebaker Drivers Club techtips page, however Studebaker and Packard were not yet married in 1952.
                    Go to this http://www.studebaker-info.org/Deale...lersrj.html#CA listing of STUDEBAKER DEALERS and look under California and you should see:

Albert Rose, Newman, CA

Comment

Thank you for the dealer link; yes as noted Newman CA is on that list. It is also on the list from SDC reference page indicating it was a Packard dealership (no'S'). On the Packard Club dealers list it is not included. There is at least one more web list but I haven't found it again to check. Please don't get me wrong I am grateful for all the input. Certainly Newman CA makes way more sense than SB IN.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pressler View Post
                        Newman and Altman didn't become a Studebaker dealer until 1959.
                        Interesting, I had no idea. I figured it was around for a long time before that.
                        Chip
                        '63 Cruiser
                        '57 Packard wagon
                        '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I remember seeing the Studebaker sign at this dealership in the mid 70s. The building still stands.
                          Lou Van Anne
                          Lou Van Anne
                          62 Champ
                          64 R2 GT Hawk
                          79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by raoul5788 View Post
                            Interesting, I had no idea. I figured it was around for a long time before that.
                            They were first a Packard dealer, then Edsel, before Studebaker. They were actually the smaller of the two Stude dealers in South Bend. The larger one was Freeman-Spicer (formerly Scherman-Schaus-Freeman), which is the building the old Studebaker National Museum was in.

I know South Bend was "Studebaker Central", but Newman and Altman was only a few blocks from Freeman-Spicer. I always thought that was kind of funny.

I'm not from there...maybe JDP can fill us in. I think N-A had a building on S. Michigan St. and also Jefferson, but I'm not sure which was used for what. I'm thinking the Jefferson store was Studes, and that Packards, and later Avanti II's, were sold at the S. Michigan St. address.
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Man, I learn something new every day here!
                              Chip
                              '63 Cruiser
                              '57 Packard wagon
                              '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

Working...
                              X