New Avanti frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Avanti frame

I am working on a 1963 Avanti and thought I could repair the rust damaged frame but found it was beyond repair. After looking at my options I thought I might have to abandon the project until I found this new frame from a 1985 Avanti. It will need some minor changes to mount the body and engine (still has the Chevy motor mounts) but beats trying to repair a rusty frame.

Bob Langer
    Glenshaw,PA

Where did you find it, what is the story?
    Last edited by billmdonn; 10-04-2010, 02:06 PM.

Comment

That will make a nice story...one of the first Avanti's with a Stude frame mated to one the last Stude frames for an Avanti. You can do a story board called "The First and the Last"!
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Will the Purist be loosing sleep over this being done to a 1963?
        Could you not find at least a good Lark frame. Just asking!
        Tom

Ignore my Brainfart I was thinking by 83 they went to the GM frame but after studing the photos it the Stude type frame that is a score
        Last edited by COMMANDERPINK1; 10-04-2010, 07:55 PM. Reason: lack of sleep
        sigpic

Comment

Just for the heckuvit, there's one on eBay right now:

Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob,
            You will need to swap out or rework the x member, the later ones were shorter and modified for exhaust clearance. If not you will have floor pan clearance issues. Also, good luck getting your front end aligned to specs, seems the Blake employees mis-drilled the lower control arm holes. (Been there done that). I bought three of these frames when we moved the stuff from SB to Youngstown. email me if you want for more frame info.
            Jim S.
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

There were only 96 coupes and four convertibles for 1985. I wonder what caused this one to be parted out with a good frame. It could have been a rollover, but not a real hard hit on any side/end. Maybe someone wanted an Avanti on some other frame, but why start with an Avanti with a good frame? There are plenty of Avantis around with bad frames. Do you know the story on this 1985 Avanti?
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Oh yeah Bob, The body mount brackets on the side of the frame rails are mounted higher on the 85 frame also. This was done to eliminate using so many shims. JS
                I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  There were only 96 coupes and four convertibles for 1985. I wonder what caused this one to be parted out with a good frame. It could have been a rollover, but not a real hard hit on any side/end. Maybe someone wanted an Avanti on some other frame, but why start with an Avanti with a good frame? There are plenty of Avantis around with bad frames. Do you know the story on this 1985 Avanti?
                  Gary,

This frame was never used on a production Avanti. It was a leftover from 1985.

Jim S.,

Ckeck to see if you received the PM i sent to you.
                  Bob Langer
                  Glenshaw,PA

Comment

Working...
                  X