Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I didn't know Avanti's were made there!...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I didn't know Avanti's were made there!...

Yesterday I had my Avanti in an annual show in Bethesda, MD...always a great show with lots of great cars...there were three Delorean's and even a Tesla. It's the 25th Anniversary of the first "Back to the Future" movie so Delorean owners are going out to celebrate it, it seems.

After answering many questions about the Avanti...one lady said it's her "dream car" and would love to own a convertible. When I told her I had an Avanti convertible at home, she immediately asked "Are you married?". That didn't exactly go over well with my wife but she knew it wasn't a serious question.

I got the usual "Made in Canada" remarks, is it Italian, etc. One older fellow absolutely insisted Avanti's were made in Argentina! That was a new one to me and there was no correcting him, so I didn't bother to take it very far. He wasn't about to budge on his absolute knowledge all Avanti's were imported from Argentina.

Most people are always happy with correct information regarding the car and its Studebaker heritage. It also never fails to amaze me how many people know quite a bit about the cars and had family or neighbors in years past who owned one. They also nearly always say it's been years since they've seen one.

Still...the Argentina comment was a first.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Kaiser began building cars in Argentina in 1956. Didnt you know that Kaiser and Studebaker and American Motors are all the same company??
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Ya know...you're right! With the German connection to Argentina they were probably all a subsidiary of Mercedes...since Studebaker was the US importer of Mercedes as the time, it makes perfect sense!
      Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Okay, I'll name my Avanti Evita.
        I'll probably find her in the garage snuggling up to my Mercedes.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
          Okay, I'll name my Avanti Evita.

Tom
          '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
          Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
          http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
          I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Working...
          X