Fiberglass fenders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass fenders

I just picked up two fiberglass front fenders for my Lark. They look like they were pretty well made and have been installed on a car. There are no inner fenders so I guess I need to graft mine onto the new fenders. Anyone have experience with this and have any good tips? Any help would be appreciated since I am no body man.
    I just about have the big hole in the cowl fixed at the top and still need to do the lower part of the cowl. Should there be an opening at the lower end of the cowl, below where the lower fender bolt goes? I need to make a patch for the lower end and reinforce it so it will hold the fender in place. Oh what fun playing with rust is. (I am having fun with the plasma cutter and welder.) As I was welding the top of the cowl on Sunday , the rain came down. When I finished welding, I noticed that the water had flooded the shop and I was standing in two inches of water. I could have exploded!!!<G>
    Pics to come shortly. Thanks in advance for your help.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

What I do is drill out the spot welds holding the inner and outer fenders together and attach the steel inner fenders to the fiberglass outer fenders with pop rivets.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Thanks Gary. Now I have to find my spot weld remover. And it looks like Studebaker liked spot welds!!
      Jamie McLeod
      Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
      1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
      1955 Commander Sedan
      1964 Champ
      1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
        Thanks Gary. Now I have to find my spot weld remover. And it looks like Studebaker liked spot welds!!
        Been there done that. I think Studebaker paid their employees per spot weld.

I would try some sort of panel bond before pop rivets, but that's just me.

Comment

Who supplied your fibreglass fenders and for what year Lark?

Comment

I bought them used from some guy in Charlotte (nice guy too) for my 63 Lark Thanks Jack. I don't know who made them but it looks like they will fit well and comparing them to my bondo filled fenders, they look better.
            Jamie McLeod
            Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
            1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
            1955 Commander Sedan
            1964 Champ
            1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
              Been there done that. I think Studebaker paid their employees per spot weld.

I would try some sort of panel bond before pop rivets, but that's just me.
              Panel bond sounds like it would be neater. There was no panel bond back when I did them. Also, if you decide that you need a minor adjustment or alignment, it would be near impossible with good panel bond.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I have used a light metal strip preferable galv. on the back side of the fiber glass fender or one inch strip, sometimes i will also use a small ss. washer on the end of the pop rivet, works for me. Mac

Comment

Rain....what's that.....none hear in over a month......
                  Mike Sal

Comment

We had 8.5 inches of rain this week. Before that, we were dry for about a month.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I will be installing at least on of the fenders tomorrow. I still have to weld some patches at the top and bottom of the cowl. I have pictures that I've been taking during this process. I'll post them when I'm through pretending to be a body man.
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                    X