Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I tell them what it is really worth???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I tell them what it is really worth???

I saw a local craigs list ad where someone was selling a couple dozen "project" cars and one of them was a 62 cruiser that was first offered for $1200 and later for $1000, I emailed the poster just to see what they had.

Today I received this message:

"Hello attached are the few pictures i have the studebaker. Car ran when parked, but that was many years ago. Not sure of motor size,options etc."

What I got were three pictures of a 62 Cruiser with the usual rust, sunk in the dirt up to its hubs and its grille pushed in.

Should I tell him what it may be worth? I don't need it, when I was buying parts cars I would have bought a car like this for one or two hundred dollars back when I had one or two hundred dollars to spend on a whim
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jeff T.; 09-26-2010, 05:45 PM.
    \"I\'m getting nowhere as fast as I can\"
    The Replacements.

I'd say no. Depends on if you sense something to gain- you really need it and it's close, or you think there's a shot at getting it saved. Probably 98% of the time they're dug in and you won't get anything through their heads. Usually ends up an exercise in futility and frustration.

I sometimes still try, but I mostly have accepted that some will be lost, in spite of my best intentions/efforts.

As an example, we recently had a year-long-plus saga with a girl named Andrea- She has a rough 64 Daytona, runs but needs everything, pleny of rust and damage to the right front. She started with eBay- first two listings STARTING at $8500! After the second listing with no bids I wrote and told her it was probably worth $500-$1000 tops. I got back this angry response: "Your gotta be kidding me you just want sompthin for nothin!!!!!!!!!!!!!". I gave it up as a lost cause. Since then it's been relisted a half-dozen more times with varying starting prices, all WAY to high- and usually accompanied by some story about her mother's illness or wanting to get her tubes untied. About a month ago she found this forum and posted for advice. Myself and a few others spent a lot of time writing responses with the honest objective of helping her and the car; all unrecognized or appreciated. I would guess it's destined for a scrapyard, either to be crushed and lost, or grabbed off by a scrapyard employee who also thinks it's a goldmine, and he starts the unrealistic process all over again.

So it's really up to you if you make the effort. Just realize your chances of accomplishment are really low
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I'm with Bob on this one. Let the market do what the market does best. You don't need it and he obviously doesn't need it gone badly enough to wake up and smell the coffee.

Comment

Working...
      X