c'mon guys...help me out here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• c'mon guys...help me out here

Somebody on the forum must have an idea about what oil is suitable for the hydrovac unit to keep the leather pliable. Can't seem to draw an answer so maybe nobody knows.

Earle

This is an absolute guess from me since I have never owned a hydrovac equipped car. However, if you are concerned about a leather component in any device such as a carburetor, pump, or hydrovac...I don't think you could go wrong with using "air tool oil." It is formulated to be easy on air motor components and has no additives that would attack "O" rings, rubber, or plastic. It should also be safe for leather.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I personally have always used neatsfoot oil. Hope this helps.

Joe
      Last edited by irish; 09-25-2010, 01:17 PM.
      sigpic

1962 Daytona
      1964 Cruiser
      And a few others

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
        Somebody on the forum must have an idea about what oil is suitable for the hydrovac unit to keep the leather pliable. Can't seem to draw an answer so maybe nobody knows. Earle
        The "search" feature here on the SDC Forum is a wonderful thing!

You might want to try this until something better comes along:

Comment

Can't seem to draw an answer so maybe nobody knows.
          Also, join SDC and read Turning Wheels. This month's Co-Operator has a source for the oil at the beginning of the column.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Gotta go with Irish..Neatsfoot oil...supposed to soften and preserve leather.. I had heard about others using it too.
            Making resverations at the poor house parking lot for me and my 62 Lark..

Comment

I belong to the SDC jack and I made reference to the turning wheels source in another thread. The problem is how do we know what he is selling. If we only have his word with no history of the product I would rather go with something someone has used successfully. There is a lot of hydrovacs out there and people are putting something in them. Thats what I'm trying to find out. A tried and true product before I ruin my unit with something not suited for it.
              Earle

Comment

Somebody told me once Neet's Foot Oil,don't know if it's fact or fiction

Comment

Neetsfoot oil has worked for me for 5 plus years
                  Tim K.
                  \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Thanks guys. I'll pick up some neatsfoot tomorrow. I can always use some for my boots. Hee Hee.

Earle

Comment

When I played baseball, Neats' Foot oil was what we rubbed into our gloves to keep them pliable and soft. It's great stuff, and I've heard it recommended for Hydrovacs for years.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by irish View Post
                        I personally have always used neatsfoot oil. Hope this helps.

Joe
                        Joe, I stole your picture and posted it over on Packardinfo.com, thinking this might stir some thought on the premature failures on the Bendix Treadle Vac unit on Packards. Hope you don't mind!

Comment

I was told about neetsfoot,but since I didn't have any I used Fluid Film.It's a food grade lubricant used for all sorts of things,lubing fire hydrant parts or food processing equipment or softening your leather boots.I've been using it on my Hydro-vac for 4yrs. now & they work great.

Comment

Working...
                          X