Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chapter picnic at the proving ground (pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapter picnic at the proving ground (pics)

Not too long ago my chapter had a car show and picnic at the Bendix Woods side of the proving ground. The food was good and a deacent number of Studes showed up. Here are some pics:

Members at the shelter

A lot of cars showed up.

Bob Hennings museum quality Champ.

After the food, we decided to take some of the cars up to the proving ground mansion for a photo shoot.

Studebaker even got recognised with this mural on the plaque outside the mansion

Had a pretty good day.
    Chris Dresbach

Great photos Xtopher, thanks for sharing! I hope to visit there one day.
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks for posting. A couple of those pics looked like "Turning Wheels" material.

Comment

Great Pictures, Chris.

It must have been hot out. I noticed you are running your A/C on high. (vent window wide open)

Scott

Comment

Hey! I was there! I kinda crashed that party looking for ChampTrucking ;-)

My favorite car there (apart from my own) was your president's 60 2-door wagon:

--george
          1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

That was an extremely nice mix of cars. Thanks for posting the pics. Anymore of the 58?

Comment

Isn't the 'Mansion' that Chris mentions the old Clubhouse? Isn't that where Mr Egbert lived his last few years?

What do they do with the place nowdays? Gee, if the SDC took it over, I'd volunteer to be caretaker! Long as I could live in the house, that is (LOL)!

Oh, by the by, thanks for sharing the great photos Chris!
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Great turnout, thanks for sharing. Any chance the owner of the 52 Starliner 2dr HT would share info with 52 2dr HT project owner? If so I appreciate hearing from the owner.

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  Isn't the 'Mansion' that Chris mentions the old Clubhouse? Isn't that where Mr Egbert lived his last few years?

What do they do with the place nowdays? Gee, if the SDC took it over, I'd volunteer to be caretaker! Long as I could live in the house, that is (LOL)!

Oh, by the by, thanks for sharing the great photos Chris!
                  Yes, I believe that is the Clubhouse that Mr. Egbert used as his home for a few years (not his last years, just his last years at Studebaker). I have never heard of that building referred to as a "mansion" before. I do not know what it is currently used for.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                    I do not know what it is currently used for.
                    When I was there in 2007, the main floor was a nature interpretive center. For the most part, the second floor is unused except for a few of the rooms which can be booked for meetings, etc.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      >>>I have never heard of that building referred to as a "mansion" before. I do not know what it is currently used for.
                      Gary, calling it a "mansion" is a "local term" often used in giving directions such as: "...go out 2 past the Studebaker mansion and take the second road on your right"

Believe part of the Clubhouse (mansion) can be rented from the St. Joseph County Parks Dept.

Here is a link for more info:

Last edited by Welcome; 09-26-2010, 07:10 AM.

Comment

The clubhouse/mansion is the same thing. I have heard it called both. It could get even more specific than that. All the proving ground buildings had numbers (like the rest of the factory buildings) and the clubhouse was no exception. I had that number written down somewhere, but I can't think of it off hand.

There were even more studes than that originally. There was a '58, another orange pickup, and a blue '63. It was really fun to be able to drive my Studebaker around the proving ground. I look forward to someday when I could possably take it around the test track. If that car could talk...
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Welcome View Post
                          Gary, calling it a "mansion" is a "local term" often used in giving directions such as: "...go out 2 past the Studebaker mansion and take the second road on your right"

Believe part of the Clubhouse (mansion) can be rented from the St. Joseph County Parks Dept.

Here is a link for more info:

http://www.sjcparks.org/pdffiles/stu...e_brochure.pdf
                          OO-OO-OO.... I wonder if one could rent the caretaker's apartment? One can see that they need help with the building. The facia board and boxing are falling off the porch. Just the kind of thing I do best...

Hey... there might even be a garage available... after all, Mr Egbert had to keep his car somewhere.
                          Last edited by studeclunker; 09-27-2010, 04:12 PM.
                          Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                          K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                          Ron Smith
                          Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Chris, thanks for the photos. Neat location, and that Bordeaux Red '64 GT Hawk and that red '61 Champ do it for me! (The others too, of course; just those two really reach out and GRAB me!).
                            Bill Pressler
                            Kent, OH
                            (formerly Greenville, PA)
                            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                            All are in Australia now

Comment

Hey... there might even be a garage available... after all, Mr Egbert had to keep his car somewhere.

Well, the maintenance sheds are opposite and just a little ways down from the mansion, by the track......

The only problem is asking Bosch or whoever now has dibs on the track to openly use the garage for the Studebaker parts and cars......

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X