Stereo in Avanti Glove Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo in Avanti Glove Box

Has anyone put a modern Stereo unit with CD player in the glove box of a 63 or 64 Avanti? If so please post a picture, I am curious if it will fit under the vanity.

Thanks,
    sigpic
    John
    63R-2386
    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

John

Just a couple of thoughts. While I think a 1 DIN stereo will fit but the problem is how do you use it conveniently. The glove box is a tough reach for the driver and needs to be opened for every operation. Because mine is an 83 I just put a good unit in the dash. But I know you would not have asked the question if that was an option. Therefore, let me suggest the Hidden Unit. http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm It leaves the glove box available and let's you control it easily from the drivers seat eventhough it's hidden. Price is comparable with a quality CD DIN unit.

Another question. If you want to maintain a stock look you will need to get creative with speaker location. A decent stereo needs good speakers. I'll bet they can be hidden but I worry more about them than the stereo.

Good luck

I like my old music as I drive the Avanti.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
      John

Just a couple of thoughts. While I think a 1 DIN stereo will fit but the problem is how do you use it conveniently. The glove box is a tough reach for the driver and needs to be opened for every operation. Because mine is an 83 I just put a good unit in the dash. But I know you would not have asked the question if that was an option. Therefore, let me suggest the Hidden Unit. http://www.vintagevibes.net/Stereos/secretaudio.htm It leaves the glove box available and let's you control it easily from the drivers seat eventhough it's hidden. Price is comparable with a quality CD DIN unit.

Another question. If you want to maintain a stock look you will need to get creative with speaker location. A decent stereo needs good speakers. I'll bet they can be hidden but I worry more about them than the stereo.

Good luck

I like my old music as I drive the Avanti.

Bob
      Thanks for the input Bob. My plans are to go with a RF controled Alpine Unit. The unit can be mounted under dash out of sight, in the trunk or glove box if it fits under the vanity. The unit is turned on and off and controled by a RF remote that will work as far as 100' away from the car. My Avanti is undergoing a resto-mod with Recaro seats and other upgrades so I do not mind rear deck flush mounted speakers.
      sigpic
      John
      63R-2386

Comment

John

You're ahead of me on this one. Sounds like a great solution.

May I ask what model of Alpine receiver has that capability? I may have a use in a seperate application.

Thanks, Bob

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
          John

You're ahead of me on this one. Sounds like a great solution.

May I ask what model of Alpine receiver has that capability? I may have a use in a seperate application.

Thanks, Bob
          The RF controlled units are designed for marine applications. Here is the equipment that one of the helpful advisors at Crutchfield http://www.crutchfield.com recommended ...

500RUEM1RF Alpine RUE-M1RF RF Marine Remote System
          500A9886M Alpine CDA-9886M Marine CD Receiver
          065S95 Boston Acoustics S95 6" x 9" 2-way Speakers
          065S65RC Boston Acoustics S65RC 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers Shallow Mount
          sigpic
          John
          63R-2386

Comment

i've been thinking about putting in a modern radio, but don't want to add *that* modern of a look in my 51. currently 6 volt, anyway. i just bought a stock radio from a 41 stude and was curious if there's such a thing as an AM transmitter for ipod applications. considered xm radio, too, but would rather have the ipod input.

Comment

Anybody tried out the RediRad?

The RediRad was advertised in Turning Wheels a while back (August 2009).

Seems like an easy installation and you can use the media player of your choosing.
              Plus, they are available in 6v or 12v with either pos. or neg. ground.

Maybe someone here has tried one?

AND for pyro...it transmits AM!
              Last edited by Andy R.; 09-24-2010, 10:56 PM. Reason: note about AM transmitter
              Andy
              62 GT

Comment

i looked at a redi-rad some time back and i believe it transmits everything in "mono" - unless they have made a newer model.
                i'm leaning towards a secret audio. if memory serves, the lcd display unit will fit in the avanti's center console ashtray area (w/lighter and ashtray out). the cover can stay on and hide the display unit...
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

My '75 Avanti has a CD player in the glove box when I got it. I also put a CD in my pickup glove box. Out of sight, out of mind, no authenticity deductions.

Comment

i learned that the xm radio receivers run on 6 volts... so all i have to do is figure out how to install an aux input on my '41 philco this winter!

Comment

Originally posted by pyrodork View Post
                      i learned that the xm radio receivers run on 6 volts... so all i have to do is figure out how to install an aux input on my '41 philco this winter!
                      That is true for the older ones, the newer ones a 5 volts. It will say on the adapter for the cigarette lighter.

Your's is an excellent idea that would let you wire directly into the car wiring to power the XM. I just don't know if the newer ones will survive the higher voltage.

If you want to continue along those lines let me know. For some reason people like to give old outdated XM stuff. So I'll plug a 6 volt adapter into a 5 volt unit and see if it will survive.

God I love experimenting 'specially if it causes smoke.<G><G><G>.

Bob

Comment

I was suprised to hear that the Redi-rad was only mono. I had been planning on using that in my '64 Cruiser. I did send them and email and heard back that they now have a stereo version called Redirad-FM. This only works, however if you already have an fm radio in your car. :-(

Mark

Comment

I recently opened a Crutchfield catalog for the first time since the early 90's and was stunned to see the advances made in car radios over the last 20 years. Since I was able to get a factory CD player in new cars and trucks I hadn't looked at the new stuff at all. I started to think about what I would put in the M5 and discovered that they all have plug-ins for iPods and memory sticks full of MP3's. They also get HD radio and you can get them in the $100 range. I'm hope to be ready for one in the M5 this spring. I'll look for something without a CD player and install it behind one of the dash panels so when it is closed you don't see the modern interface except when I am actually pushing buttons.

Comment

Originally posted by okc63avanti View Post
                            Has anyone put a modern Stereo unit with CD player in the glove box of a 63 or 64 Avanti? If so please post a picture, I am curious if it will fit under the vanity.

Thanks,
                            This was installed in My '64 Avanti when I got it. I don't even know the brand, but it works just fine- MP3 input, CD slot behind the pull down face. However, the remote won't work through the glove box door. I didn't put the red lining in the glove box either.
                            Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                            '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
                              This was installed in My '64 Avanti when I got it. I don't even know the brand, but it works just fine- MP3 input, CD slot behind the pull down face. However, the remote won't work through the glove box door. I didn't put the red lining in the glove box either.
                              Thanks Paul for your post with pictures. This is what I was thinking about doing. Your remote will not work through the glove box door because it is a standard IR (infra-red) remote similar to the one you use when you change channels on a modern TV set. The Alpine Marine stereo unit I am considering uses an RF (radio frequency) remote, so I could use remote with the glove box door closed. The remote can be used as far away as 100' from the car which would allow me to play it and use it at shows as well. I can put remote in console box when not in use and pull out when needed to change modes (CD, FM, MP3, iPod) and skip through selections and change volume.

When my car is finished I'll be sure to update with the stereo details as the restoration shop is going to install my stereo as they redo my interior.

Thanks again,
                              sigpic
                              John
                              63R-2386

Comment

Working...
                              X