Rockne Panel Van in Hogan's Heros...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rockne Panel Van in Hogan's Heros...

This is a surprise from the Internet Movie Cars database...

Probably the last vehicle I'd expect to see in the old sitcom.
    Anyone know anything about this particular example?

Is it owned by anyone in the ASC or SDC?
    Neat looking truck.

Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-23-2010, 10:55 AM.
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

With the rack on top, it looks like the pictures I have seen of some camera cars back when those were late models. Maybe a studio still has one. That would be a find for someone.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

It now belongs to Mike West in Seattle. He has owned it for 20+ years but it used to be in Southern Califirnia. It was a movie car with no engine and set up with a sprocket and chain affair to accommodate a right or left hand steering wheel. It is still that way. I believe there are three of these deliveries extant but his is the only one that is actually "together" in a matter of speaking. Mike also has a beautifully restored '33 Rockne 4-door sedan. He hopes to restore the delivery one day.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hey Richard, I remember when we went over to Mike's to look at it. He also has that nice Pierce-Arrow. Did the USPS buy any of these?

Comment

Originally posted by Don Kelstrom View Post
          Hey Richard, I remember when we went over to Mike's to look at it. He also has that nice Pierce-Arrow. Did the USPS buy any of these?
          Indeed I do recall and I took some photos of the Rockne. Unfortunately it was stored in his garage at home and not very accessible. I have been trying to talk a local friend who is v.p. of Crown Premium (maker of models) that they ought to make a 1/24th die cast of this truck.
          Richard Quinn

Comment

Early Zip Van!

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

The 1933 version...
            Mark Hayden
            '66 Commander

Comment

Richard,
              Where can we deluge him with requests?
              Or, am I the only one who would be deluging?

We know Novelty Dye Works got nine of them. Do we know how many were produced?
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                Richard,
                Where can we deluge him with requests?
                Or, am I the only one who would be deluging?

We know Novelty Dye Works got nine of them. Do we know how many were produced?
                No production figures are available by body type. The Dye works was in Milwaukee, Wisc. As to the die cast model I am told that tooling cost on a 1/24 model exceeds $110,000 so lots of models have to be sold to cover that. Actually Crown Premium does not retail their models. They cater to companies who use them for advertising like Harley Davidson, Snap-On Tools etc who would order maybe 10,000 to 20,000 at a time.
                Richard Quinn

Comment

I am always amused when I watch old episodes of Hogan's by the attempt to pass off older American vehicles as German ones by dint of painting German insignia on it. Last time I watched, a load of Nazi soldiers were shown pouring out the back of a gray-painted 1939 Dodge pickup with a caravan tarp installed My family looked at me very oddly when I burst out laughing at this, and didn't find it funny when I explained what I was laughing for.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Someone on the Internet Movie Car Datebase listings on the truck notes that Rocknes were popular in Norway...and theorizes it was possible that one could have made its way into Germany.

It also shows a similar truck used in the film The Glenn Miller Story as the band truck.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Working...
                    X