50 Years Ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 Years Ago

Machine Design magazine, a trade publication for engineers, does a "Looking Back" retrospective in each issue. They highlight an item of interest from 10, 30, and 50 years ago. The current issue shows the Studebaker-Packard wagon with a third seat.

Jim Bradley
    '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
    Jim Bradley
    Lake Monticello, VA
    '78 Avanti II
    sigpic

Does anyone have more information on the "captive air" tires mentioned above? Another Studebaker innovation 45 years ahead of the rest of the automobile industry?

55 Commander
    58 Transtar
    62 GT Hawk
    66 Cruiser

Comment

Does anyone have more information on the "captive air" tires mentioned above? Another Studebaker innovation 45 years ahead of the rest of the automobile industry?

55 Commander
      58 Transtar
      62 GT Hawk
      66 Cruiser

Comment

I think NASCAR has that information.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I think NASCAR has that information.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This was on the internet, but June 57 would be kind of late to put them on the 57 Packard wagon.

43 Years Ago Think run-flat tires are new? In June 1957 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. unveils its "Captive-Air" tire featuring an airtight inner chamber, which, in the event of a blowout, permits continued travel for at least 100 miles. The Captive-Air Safety Shield replaces nylon with steel cord. Six years earlier, Goodyear produced its 500 millionth tire.

Comment

This was on the internet, but June 57 would be kind of late to put them on the 57 Packard wagon.

43 Years Ago Think run-flat tires are new? In June 1957 Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. unveils its "Captive-Air" tire featuring an airtight inner chamber, which, in the event of a blowout, permits continued travel for at least 100 miles. The Captive-Air Safety Shield replaces nylon with steel cord. Six years earlier, Goodyear produced its 500 millionth tire.

Comment

I remember my Grandfather had a set of those tires put on his 57 Buick when he purchased it always said that the tires wouldn't stay balanced had same problem with self sealing tires. He didn't like flats was always trying new tire designs.

Comment

I remember my Grandfather had a set of those tires put on his 57 Buick when he purchased it always said that the tires wouldn't stay balanced had same problem with self sealing tires. He didn't like flats was always trying new tire designs.

Comment

Otis Romine said the Avanti was originally going to have no spare and use run flat tires.

1954 Commander
                    1958 Golden Hawk
                    1963 Daytona Convertible
                    1963 R2 Daytona
                    1963 R2 GT Hawk
                    1963 R1 Wagonaire
                    1963 R4 Avanti
                    1964 Champ
                    1966 Cruiser

Comment

Otis Romine said the Avanti was originally going to have no spare and use run flat tires.

1954 Commander
                      1958 Golden Hawk
                      1963 Daytona Convertible
                      1963 R2 Daytona
                      1963 R2 GT Hawk
                      1963 R1 Wagonaire
                      1963 R4 Avanti
                      1964 Champ
                      1966 Cruiser

Comment

I haven't used the Captive Air tires, but I did have the B. F. Goodrich self sealing tires on my 1949 Mercury coupe. They were effective in sealing punctures, but balance was a problem due to the internal goo shifting after the tires had a hot run and then were parked.

Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I haven't used the Captive Air tires, but I did have the B. F. Goodrich self sealing tires on my 1949 Mercury coupe. They were effective in sealing punctures, but balance was a problem due to the internal goo shifting after the tires had a hot run and then were parked.

Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I wonder if the first ad came from a Studebaker press release on the new option, and maybe they were not available at model introduction time (Sept. '56)? I sure don't remember any 3rd. seat option prior to 1957 model year.

The Goodyear Tires Studebaker used, had a little hole in the sidewall just like a basketball so you could use a needle to fill the inner (spare) section.

StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wonder if the first ad came from a Studebaker press release on the new option, and maybe they were not available at model introduction time (Sept. '56)? I sure don't remember any 3rd. seat option prior to 1957 model year.

The Goodyear Tires Studebaker used, had a little hole in the sidewall just like a basketball so you could use a needle to fill the inner (spare) section.

StudeRich
                              Studebakers Northwest
                              Ferndale, WA
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                              X