Leather Interior Virtues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather Interior Virtues

I have seen several Stude's with leather interior added later by the owner. I realize this is not stock so it is taking away from being original, but...

Does leather change the sale value of the vehicle up or down?
    What about showing it? Can it be entered with other stock Stude's?
    Any other thoughts on leather?

Thank you,
    Diane

For the most part, I believe it would raise the value; depending on what the car is.

For showing it, you probably could show it with the stock cars; but you would probably do better in the non stock classes. Over there, they are judging for authenticity so much (Thankfully).

Leather is AWESOME! For me at least, it's much more comfortable, smells better, ect. It takes more maintenance, but over all I think it is worth it.

By the way, some Stude's DID have leather interiors; so maybe you could pattern yours after one of theres, just for kicks! Such as the '55 speedsters, '57 Golden Hawk 400's, and Packard Hawks.
    Dylan Wills
    Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
    1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
    1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
    1914 Ford Model T

Comment

if the car is not original, regardless of the detail of the modifications/alterations.....its up to the prospective buyer. I personally dislike leather, and would not buy a car on that basis alone. But Dylan and others may think differently. If you're contemplating leather changes to your car.....I'd suggest you think for what you like, not what it "might" fetch....

Comment

Personally, I love leather.
        As Dylan mentions it has advantages and lasts forever. I'm always reading about old English car that are barn finds and all they need is a bit of hide food and conditioner.

If I were redoing a car, I'd use leather in the original vinyl pattern.

But, you may not get your money out of it when it comes time to sell...IMHO.

Some folks HATE leather (especially if they're in a warm climate)...even though I never hear people saying the same about vinyl.
        63 Avanti R1 2788
        1914 Stutz Bearcat
        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

I think it really depends on the buyer... so you pays your money and takes your chances.

Personally I would think that it would be a nice upgrade, as I prefer leather to both vinyl and cloth. Cloth is too hard to keep clean - spill something nasty on it once and it'll never be the same. Vinyl is just too darn hot in the summertime! Obviously the one and only new car I ever bought had black leather seats

nate
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

What is the definition of original?? Really how many truly original cars 50 years old are there. I doubt many have "matching numbers" since engines wear out and have been replaced. If the numbers don't match with the build sheet is it no longer "original". How about after market carbs and ignition systems?? Does that effect the originality. Original is a pretty nebulous term I think.

Earle

Comment

Originally posted by shouldbesad View Post
              I have seen several Stude's with leather interior added later by the owner. I realize this is not stock so it is taking away from being original, but...

Does leather change the sale value of the vehicle up or down?
              What about showing it? Can it be entered with other stock Stude's?
              Any other thoughts on leather?
              Not sure of which model of Studebaker you are intending to own, but if a leather interior is your main concern, and concerned about originality, then go for one that had leather as standard. I believe the '47-'52 convertibles had them as an option, and there are reports of a few Land Cruisers from those years that had a leather interior special ordered. Leather was also available from mid-1954 in the K-bodies, and was standard on the 1955 President Speedster, 1957 Golden Hawk 400 and 1958 Packard Hawk.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by N8N View Post
                I think it really depends on the buyer... so you pays your money and takes your chances.

Personally I would think that it would be a nice upgrade, as I prefer leather to both vinyl and cloth. Cloth is too hard to keep clean - spill something nasty on it once and it'll never be the same. Vinyl is just too darn hot in the summertime! Obviously the one and only new car I ever bought had black leather seats

nate
                We are doing N8's seats right now, and we could have done leather in the factory pattern instead of vinyl, but for $1000, not $300. It would look stock, but the leather smell might tip off a judge.
                JDP Maryland

Comment

Hi

Leather was available on special order by indication of the following. Walking a junkyard in Holland Patent, NY in the late '80's, a solid black 1953 Land Cruiser sedan caught my eye. It was equipped with the bumper ends, hood ornament, grille guard and fender top spears, fender skirts in the trunk. Most amazing was a red leather interior in the factory pattern.
                  I suspect this was a special order car, may have been created for a distributor or large dealer.

Sadly, the car was in terrible, deteriorated condition, having been in the yard most of 30 years. The region receives heavy snows yearly, reducing any decent car out in the weather very long into a parts car. I'm sure it and all the other cars there are long gone.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                    Not sure of which model of Studebaker you are intending to own, but if a leather interior is your main concern, and concerned about originality, then go for one that had leather as standard. I believe the '47-'52 convertibles had them as an option, and there are reports of a few Land Cruisers from those years that had a leather interior special ordered. Leather was also available from mid-1954 in the K-bodies, and was standard on the 1955 President Speedster, 1957 Golden Hawk 400 and 1958 Packard Hawk.

Craig
                    I think leather was available on a lot of cars, just not common. I had a '50 Champion 4-dr in the early '60s that had original gray leather seats and a vinyl headliner. I know from the wear and many duct tape patches that it was original. I suspect it may have been a taxi in an earlier life. Then about 20 years ago someone traded a '56 President Classic in to the local Ford dealer. It was all black with black leather (also obviously original) along with power windows and overdrive. I missed it and who ever bought it put it away not be seen since. And, quoting John Bridges' book, Studebaker's Finest "Early 1953 literature indicates that the genuine-leather extra-cost option was limited to Commander Starlights, but it is known that some 1953 Starliners were delivered with leather upholstery..."
                    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

I believe leather was listed as an option on the '53 Coupes but have no evidence any were ordered. I think, if leather was an option, points would not be deducted unless the original build sheet indicated it was not so equipped. I've never seen a SDC judge carrying build sheets.
                      And I believe Craig is correct; the '47-'52 convertibles were only available with leather.
                      Last edited by rockne10; 09-22-2010, 04:46 PM.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

And didn't the '52 Starliner have leather as an option?

John

Comment

Originally posted by JDP View Post
                          We are doing N8's seats right now, and we could have done leather in the factory pattern instead of vinyl, but for $1000, not $300.
                          I am very interested, John, I want leather for my Daytona. I know you offer leather and have been waiting to see a set done. What type/grade of leather? Please post pics when you can!
                          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                          Romans 15:13
                          Deuteronomy 31:6
                          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post

Craig
                            Some 1953 Starliners (K body) came with leather seats. One that I know of since the original owner comes to mind.
                            Bridges' book states that leather could be had in 1953 Starlights (C body), but I have not seen one. I have seen at least three 1953 Starliners (K body) with leather.
                            I do not recall any 1954 C or K bodies with leather.
                            Gary L.
                            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                            X