Progress on front cover/hub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Progress on front cover/hub

Here are some pic of the work I finished last weekend. The hub holds the crankshaft pulley on one side and the vibration damper on the other and is made out of 4140 steel. The timing cover has been inserted with another piece of 4140 and bored to fit seal # 471424. I also had to make new dowel pins (no pic) since the old ones were worn out as well. This is for my '48 M16. Neal

Last edited by Neal in NM; 04-02-2013, 02:27 PM.

Beautiful work, Neal. You must be a machinist by trade. Real pro.

What was the purpose for fabricating the hub?

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

At one point in the life of this engine the rivets holding the crankshaft pulley to the hub came loose and the pulley was allowed to float on the hub. They kept tension on the pulley by pulling the generator tighter (beyond its tensioning limits) which eventually cut the hub in two down to the crankshaft. I am lucky that the crankshaft was not damaged. I decided to make one instead of buying one because I wanted to change to a modern neoprene seal and I would have to machine and sleeve a stock one for the new seal. So since I would have to machine some of it anyway I figured I would just do the whole job. Neal

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Comment

At one point in the life of this engine the rivets holding the crankshaft pulley to the hub came loose and the pulley was allowed to float on the hub. They kept tension on the pulley by pulling the generator tighter (beyond its tensioning limits) which eventually cut the hub in two down to the crankshaft. I am lucky that the crankshaft was not damaged. I decided to make one instead of buying one because I wanted to change to a modern neoprene seal and I would have to machine and sleeve a stock one for the new seal. So since I would have to machine some of it anyway I figured I would just do the whole job. Neal

quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

Comment

Working...
          X