Future Project and Current Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Project and Current Project

This weekend we brought home the last of the three 50 Commander Starlights that my friend gave me. Bob had bought this one as a parts car in 1964, drove it home some 35 miles, and then parked it inside his garage. Originally he bought it as a parts car but later decided, as time went on, that it was too good to part out. He said the only problem he had driving it home was when a rear spring broke for some reason. I plan on getting it running, getting brakes on it again, and replacing the broken spring (Last one is done) before storing it for a year or so till I can complete the 64 Convertible. I have been working on this convertible on and off for 4 years now and finally got it running after a complete rebuild of the drive train and pulling/replacing the fenders etc. The hog troffs looked good but had to be rebuilt once I removed the undercoating. I have made good progress this year getting the body back together and took vacation this past week to get the finish coat of paint on it. I will let it set for a couple weeks for the paint to harden before I start putting the trim on it etc etc.

Overall both cars are solid which makes life a little easier.

I brought the Starlight home on my two wheel dolly. When I got underneath and saw that the top two leafs of the spring were broken and the sway bar was actually holding the rear end in place, I thought Bob was up there coordinating my safe arrival home with the car. We bounced the rear end before I left and it still bounced so I had no idea how bad it really was.

I thought I would share my current and future project.

After I washed the 50 I had to squirt down the driveway to clean up the all the years of dust that came off. I was never sure till I washed it if it was green or blue!.
    Attached Files
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Where is the 61 Hawk lurking? Do you have pictures of it?
    Good Roads
    Brian
    Brian Woods
    woodysrods@shaw.ca
    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

What a great project. I brought one home myself last week. I have several 1950 Commander Starlights. They need restoration. Good luck. Where are you located?

Comment

Looks like a super project car. I envy you guys that have the room for 3-4 cars. I only have room for one at a time, guess that is why when I finish one I usually trade it off in a year or two and start all over. I am slowing up now that I am 62 Don't know how many more I have in me.

Comment

What is that little 61 Lark? Nice convert! And the blue baby looks like a nice start .

Comment

50 Commanders have a great front. And Starlights have a great rear. Cool car.

Comment

The 61 LARK is a one owner, 30k car, it is an OHV plain jane car which is fun to drive. I am in St. Louis Mo. The 61 Hawk is unfortunately in the back corner of the garage and has not been out for 2 years now, it comes out next spring. I put it back there to protect it when I was working on the convert. I have enclosed a picture of the 61 hawk. It is a 4 speed one owner car which I changed from black to Blaze Red. Thanks for looking.
              Attached Files
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Working...
              X