Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The bright red sporty car that 'Magunm P.I.' should have driven in Hawaii!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The bright red sporty car that 'Magunm P.I.' should have driven in Hawaii!

A 1983 Avanti II with a view! Imagine the attention that Avanti II's would have achieved had Tom Selleck driven an Avanti rather than a Ferrari during the making of the long running show 'Magnum P.I.'. The tall actor certainly would have appreciated the increased leg room in an Avanti. Anybody know how many Avanti/ Avanti II's reside in Hawaii?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

wow, they are throwing in a 2-night stay at an ocean-front cottage (not including airline tickets) AND free shipping to any US port.

--george
    1963 Lark Daytona HT - 63V J8 175

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
      A 1983 Avanti II with a view! Imagine the attention that Avanti II's would have achieved had Tom Selleck driven an Avanti rather than a Ferrari during the making of the long running show 'Magnum P.I.'
      It could have happened if they had made a convertible.
      With a few exceptions....like The Rockford Files...non-police TV heros drove convertibles or at least targa or "t" tops.
      Too bad, all of our Avantis might be worth a couple of grand more if it was made famous on TV.
      Then again, even the "Back to the Future" films hasn't done a lot for the value of Deloreans...and Magnumesgue Ferrari 308s start at less than 40K...so maybe there wouldn't be that big of celebrity bump.

Back to the Hawaii car...I've never seen that bumper treatment before (painted chrome units).
      Wonder if it was a way to prevent rust or just make it look newer?
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Hmmmm, it's a good thought for sure! Except, I'm not sure if that year of Avanti would capture the right "image" for the movie; it doesn't look quite "I'm going to out run anything" to me, but many people have informed me I have problems! Haha! I'm sure Tom Selleck would have LOVED the leg room though!
        Dylan Wills
        Everett, Wa.

1961 Lark 4 door wagon
        1961 Lark 4 door wagon #2 (Wife's car!)
        1955 VW Beetle (Went to the dark side)
        1914 Ford Model T

Comment

Originally posted by ClaymoreWW View Post
          wow, they are throwing in a 2-night stay at an ocean-front cottage (not including airline tickets) AND free shipping to any US port.
          Cool... lesse, $1500 for shipping from CA to NY, plus round-trip flight for me and Linda from NY to HI and back... maybe I can buy it cheap enough to absorb those costs upon resale.....

Hey, a guy can dream, right??
          Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
          Romans 15:13
          Deuteronomy 31:6
          Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1983-...item255d826ff7>>> Imagine the attention that Avanti II's would have achieved had Tom Selleck driven an Avanti rather than a Ferrari during the making of the long running show 'Magnum P.I.'. <<<
            IF

Comment

BTW- It is neither a Studebaker nor an Avanti II as stated in the eBay listing.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                Cool... lesse, $1500 for shipping from CA to NY, plus round-trip flight for me and Linda from NY to HI and back... maybe I can buy it cheap enough to absorb those costs upon resale.....

Hey, a guy can dream, right??
                It says: "...free shipping to any US port..." Have it shipped to NY or NJ instead of CA. I just saved you $1500.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

You beat me to it Gary. I was going to suggest that Bob have it shipped to the port of Rochester (NY). Of course if would like to have it shipped to the port of Duluth (MN) I would figure out a way to drive it out to NY for him! Perhaps a 2 night stay at the Island of Misfit Toys would do it?

Comment

I did consider that, but went under the assumption that the seller didn't think about that and misspoke when he said 'any'. If I got serious I'd verify that; would hate to make a deal and end up having both buyer and seller left unhappy due to disagreement

Pat- I'd be coming to MN myself to get it, any excuse for a road trip. But if you're ever in the Vampire State, be sure to stop by!
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      BTW- It is neither a Studebaker nor an Avanti II as stated in the eBay listing.
                      Whatchu talkin' 'bout Gary? If it's not a Studebaker or an Avanti II, then what is it??
                      sigpic

Comment

Whatchu talkin' 'bout Gary? If it's not a Studebaker or an Avanti II, then what is it??
                        83 was the first full year of Blake Avantis.

He dropped the "II".
                        So it's post Studebaker, and post N&A.
                        It's just an "Avanti".
                        Last edited by JBOYLE; 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM.
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Originally posted by JBOYLE View Post
                          83 was the first full year of Blake Avantis.

He dropped the "II".
                          So it's post Studebaker, and post N&A.
                          It's just an "Avanti".
                          Thanks for clarifying John, I forgot that the 'II' was dropped from the Avantis. Does that mean that the Avanti Motor Company ran out of stock of the 'VIII' Lark emblems to modify after the 1982 production run?
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks for clarifying John, I forgot that the 'II' was dropped from the Avantis. Does that mean that the Avanti Motor Company ran out of stock of the 'VIII' Lark emblems to modify after the 1982 production run?
                            My understanding is it was because Steve Blake wanted to simply call the car "Avanti" for its own sake...maybe to separate the car and company from its immediate past, much like Nate Altman added the "II" to differentiate the car from Studebaker and the failed Avanti effort and company failure. Maybe there was a shortage of the "II" emblems but I've never seen that reported anywhere.
                            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

My understanding is that the II was dropped beause they didn't want the car to be considered a reproduction or kit car, rather they just wanted it to be a continuation of the Avanti (just not under the Studebaker Corporation).
                              Keep in mind that the biggest gap in 1963-1991 Avanti production was for model year 1986 when there were no Avantis, sort of like 1983 for Corvettes.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X