PDA

View Full Version : Anyone a machineist?

63t-cab
09-19-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm thinking about conv. my 63 Champ to mid 70s Chevy 11" drums all around.as some have already done,though I'm gonna see if I can have center hub hole turned larger,instead of the hubs themselves ! one fella tells me he thinks there are I.D. ways of mounting the drum in place,does this sound doable?

PackardV8
09-19-2010, 02:42 PM
there are I.D. ways of mounting the drum in place, Sorry, I'm not following your question. Bottom line for me, adding any type adapter in the axle/drum/wheel interface is less desirable than making the two parts fit together properly.

jack vines

Chucks Stude
09-19-2010, 03:10 PM
If you are going to go thru all of that, why not install a Turner Disc brake setup?

63t-cab
09-19-2010, 04:16 PM
Jack,instead of haveing the Stude hubs turned to fit the Chevy drums I want to turn the drum to fit the Stude hub!

63t-cab
09-19-2010, 04:19 PM
Chuck, main reason I can do this cheap.discs are nice but I do'nt feel it's a must!

fatboylust
09-19-2010, 05:40 PM
I am a retired machinist, so pleas bear with me:
1. Machining the drums is not a difficult machining operation, so it is possible.
2. Finding a machine shop that is willing to perform the modification may be difficult due to the legal liability. Should one of the drums fail causing damage or injury they could be held responsible.
3. As for cheap, machining the drums is a more challenging set-up for a machine shop than the hubs would be. This fact may cost you more shop time than the two hubs but less wrenching on your part.
4. If a drum beaks in service after machining leaving you on the side of the road somewhere away from home you either need to carry a spare drum which is machined to fit your hub (adding to the cost) or if the hubs are modified getting a good to go replacement from any auto parts store.

It should be easier.

63t-cab
09-19-2010, 06:46 PM
David,thanks for all your input!!! I happen to know a fella(machineist) that will turn them for free(between friends) so as I said it'll be cheap to do this swap.(though I did'nt give any thought to maybe needing a spare drum in case something happens) but hey I'll just have him turn another drum for me.