PDA

View Full Version : REPORT: 2010 Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race

BobPalma
09-19-2010, 02:03 PM
For those interested, here's how everyone did at the 2010 "Pure Stock Drags":

http://racingstudebakers.com/foo/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2111

laughinlark
09-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the update. Would have enjoyed being there even with the poor weather. Can't wait to see the pics and write up.

Gordon

Mr Speed 53
09-19-2010, 04:58 PM
The Pure Stocks are a Great Time no matter what happens ! Thanks to the Stude fans that introduced me to this years ago and have since brought more friends every year if they own a Stude or not. Since the early Turning Wheels coverage I havent missed many years. Other than Lark Parker not being there and saturday rain it was awesome and I am sure that the pictures will show that. Thankfull to have been there even though my son didnt bring and race our other orphan car ! Ed

nels
09-19-2010, 06:17 PM
It was a good time as usual. I think I would enjoy that event even if it rained both days. Hangin' out and BS'ing is half the fun. I will say there was a big hole in this years event with the absence of Dale (Lark Parker) and his wife Barb. Maybe next year on that.

Chicken Hawk
09-19-2010, 08:23 PM
It was a good time as usual. I think I would enjoy that event even if it rained both days. Hangin' out and BS'ing is half the fun. I will say there was a big hole in this years event with the absence of Dale (Lark Parker) and his wife Barb. Maybe next year on that.

Totally agree Nels!

Finally getting a little rested up. Had to go see our buddy, Lark Parker (Dale McPhearson) and he is doing great and may get to go home Tuesday after almost three months in the hospital.

Bob posted the info on the Pure Stock Drags. Too bad it rained us out yesterday. There were a 167 cars entered, the most ever. It just gets more popular every year.

Bob Boden and Dan Jensen are two of the best people you would ever want to meet. The are really dedicated to this race and work hours and hours not only putting on the race but getting all the info together after the race is over, listing the cars, drivers, where they are from, car weight, estimated hp, best et and speed, shootout results, etc. (except no shootouts this year due to rain all day Saturday but you don't win trying to go against Mother Nature).

We went up two days early to have the Tomato certified and everything went fine. Got the head, manifold, carb, etc. back together at Dan's shop where the certification was done and we drove it back to the motel which was about 3 3/4 mile. That was probably one of the longest trips the engine had prior to this. I was really apprehensive about the first run down the track since it had not been on the track at all.

Seems we had a lot of unusual problems that kept us from getting to the strip before the race. The machine shop was the first hold up as they told me it would be two weeks to get the block bored and balancing done. Ten weeks later I was finally able to pick it up.

Chuck Kern and Richard Poe were gracious enough to drive up from southern Indiana one day to help me pull the R 2 and install the R 3. The next day when I was able to finish up the installation and started it, both head gaskets were leaking water. This was my own fault as I had never put anything on the stock Stude beaded steel gaskets except for some silver spray paint and on the composition gaskets, all I ever did was soak them in water for about 10 minutes, sling the water out and put them on. Never had a problem.

Maybe this will help someone else in the future but the R 3 repo gaskets need some coating. They have a metal ring to seal the cylinder but that ring is about .057" thick and the single layer of material (asbestos?) is only about .044" thick and my theory (and that's all it is, right or not I don't know) is that the metal ring will not compress the single later material enough to seal the water holes.

After pulling the heads I got some KW Copper Coat and sprayed on each side of the gasket and this seems to work, at least so far.

Then I was hoping to get to the Muncie strip on Wednesday the 8th but all the sudden there was no spark. After a couple hours trying to trace this down I found the module in the distributor was burned out. I had another module and put it in and it ran fine, for about 10 minutes and it died. Had one more module and put it in and so far it is still ok. I took another complete distributor with me in case, but so far so good. George Krem's R 3 had the same problem at the race. Suddenly it wouldn't start, no spark, and disconnecting the MSD solved its problem.

Never having been on the strip I was anxious to see how it was going to run. The first run I took it easy and shifted around 5000 and it went 13.27 @ 110.71 mph. I was really relieved when I saw the time slip. I knew it was ok as the tach was getting close to 6400 as it crossed the line.

Next runs we pushed it harder and with only one decent 60' time of 1.995, it went 12.686 @ 112.07. I hope to get to Muncie this coming Wednesday for test and tune to see what it will do there with good traction. Muncie is usually good for 60' times in the 1.90's and this makes a HUGE difference in quarter times.

All 11 Studes did a good job and the people seemed very impressed. First time for three R 3's (although mine is a clone), one R 4, four R 2's and three R 1's. Let's shoot for at least 12 next year.

Had a great day Friday and even though Saturday was a rain out, it was still very enjoyable with so many really nice people to be with. Stude people are great and most all of the other brand competitors are also.

AND C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S to you Bonnevile guys! All of you are GREAT! Do you think anyone 20, 30, or 40 years ago would have dreamed the extent to what the Studebakers are doing in the performance field they are today?

Ted

41 Frank
09-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Great report Ted, thanks. Excellent times for a fresh engine with no run time on it.

jlmccuan
09-19-2010, 10:01 PM
Interesting info on the head gaskets, Ted. Were the leaks similar to mine last year? Mine went from the water jacket hole to the center exhaust port head bolt, then up the bolt and out under the head of the head bolt. I put my engine together this time without the sealer and so far so good, but I did use studs this time instead of head bolts.

Sorry we missed you folks this year as the tailgating must have been particularly good with all the blown Studes present. Lisa was as disappointed as I was. She had a great time last year, too.

Are there any events this fall at Muncie or Brown County we could all get to and run?

Chicken Hawk
09-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Interesting info on the head gaskets, Ted. Were the leaks similar to mine last year? Mine went from the water jacket hole to the center exhaust port head bolt, then up the bolt and out under the head of the head bolt. I put my engine together this time without the sealer and so far so good, but I did use studs this time instead of head bolts.

Sorry we missed you folks this year as the tailgating must have been particularly good with all the blown Studes present. Lisa was as disappointed as I was. She had a great time last year, too.

Are there any events this fall at Muncie or Brown County we could all get to and run?

My gaskets just seemed to leak between the head and the block on the lower side. When I took the gaskets off, there was no visible place I could detect the leak. If yours develops a leak the KW Block Sealer really works well but you have to follow the directions and it takes two days to do it as it needs to set 24 hours to dry with the drains all open.

There is nothing special at Muncie or Indy but Bean Blossom is have a special race October 9th and there is a new race for FAST and Factory Stock (Pure Stock) in Martin, Michigan on October 15th and 16th.

Ted

memmerich
09-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi Bob, I am looking for any pictures taken of Peter Sant (Maroon Avanti) or Chuck Kern (White Avanti) or both going down the track. If you or anyone has any that could be e-mailed to Studeemike@yahoo.ca it would be greatly appreciated.

BobPalma
09-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Hi Bob, I am looking for any pictures taken of Peter Sant (Maroon Avanti) or Chuck Kern (White Avanti) or both going down the track. If you or anyone has any that could be e-mailed to Studeemike@yahoo.ca it would be greatly appreciated.

'Lots of Bobs around here, Mike, but I will assume you are addressing me since I opened the thread.

SDC's most excellent film (not digital) photographer Tom Lawlis was on duty all day Friday. Tom took several excellent pictures of Peter and Chuck on the strip, both together and separately. I have prints of those but may want to use them in Turning Wheels, so I don't want to turn loose of them and don't have a scanner to send them.

However, I have a ton of free prints due up at the CVS pharmacy here in town, so I'll have some prints made using their scanner and snail-mail them to you if you'll send me a PM or post a snail-mail address. BP

memmerich
09-20-2010, 04:04 PM
'Lots of Bobs around here, Mike, but I will assume you are addressing me since I opened the thread.

SDC's most excellent film (not digital) photographer Tom Lawlis was on duty all day Friday. Tom took several excellent pictures of Peter and Chuck on the strip, both together and separately. I have prints of those but may want to use them in Turning Wheels, so I don't want to turn loose of them and don't have a scanner to send them.

However, I have a ton of free prints due up at the CVS pharmacy here in town, so I'll have some prints made using their scanner and snail-mail them to you if you'll send me a PM or post a snail-mail address. BP

Hi Bob, yes, I meant you, sorry. I am the editor for the AOAI Canadian Chapter newsletter and want to report on how one our members made out - specifically Peter Sant. Prefer e-mail but you could mail to Mike Emmerich, 1515 Sheffield Road, Cambridge, ON, Canada, N1R 5S2. Thanks in advance (I will look you up in South Bend etc. to cover the cost of any postage). Mike.

Huck
09-21-2010, 05:08 PM
I sure hope someone posts the picture of the very large group of Lark Parker's fans and the very large "get well" card that we signed. Wonderful news that he will be home from the hospital soon. Peace, Huck

BobPalma
09-21-2010, 08:20 PM
Hi Bob, yes, I meant you, sorry. I am the editor for the AOAI Canadian Chapter newsletter and want to report on how one our members made out - specifically Peter Sant. Prefer e-mail but you could mail to Mike Emmerich, 1515 Sheffield Road, Cambridge, ON, Canada, N1R 5S2. Thanks in advance (I will look you up in South Bend etc. to cover the cost of any postage). Mike.

Mike: The envelope with 4 photos went out in this morning's mail. Total cost to me with postage and everything was exactly $1, so don't worry about it. Don't bother to return the photos, either; they are duplicates.

I would like to have a copy of the magazine when it comes out, if you don't mind. Address in any Turning Wheels Co-Operator heading. Thanks. BP

clonelark
09-22-2010, 02:41 AM
Just thought of something, since Ted ran 12.686, and George's car ran 12.698, the times were close enough that they may have had to run each other, depending on how the times fall in order. My question is who is gonna drive the car that Ted didn't? I should have been there to drive for him.I couldn't get up there even as bad as i wanted to go.
Then again are they qualifed by car? or driver?

BobPalma
09-22-2010, 08:54 AM
Bob: It's the car that qualifies, not the driver.

However, drivers have to be checked out and "qualified" as well. You now need a brief inspection (i.e., a drivers license and a pulse) and are given a wrist band, indicating you are released to drive in the event. The wrist band (it was bright pink this year) indicates to track personel at the starting line that you are good to go.

We knew Ted could not drive both cars in the shootouts. Even if they were matched with other cars, and they were, there would be no time for Ted to finish one run and get around to the starting line to drive the next one immediately.

Therefore, it had been arranged that Ted would drive The Plain Brown Wrapper in the shootouts, and Chuck Kern's son John would drive The Stude Tomato. John doesn't have a lot of experience with the car, but has driven it on the strip in competition several times.

As I said, the cars were paired with non-Studebakers for the shootouts, had the shootouts taken place. The Plain Brown Wrapper was to run a 1974 Super Duty 455 Trans Am, and The Stude Tomato was pitted aaginst a 1972 Buick GS455.

But no shootouts took place. The track was so wet all day Saturday that no race cars made any passes at all; none. However, the track's late-model Silverado sure made a lot of passes, running up and down the wet strip all day, dragging some huge earth-mover tires on their sides, displacing water in case it quit raining.

Of course, it never did.

'Hope you can make the trip some year; you'll love it, rain or shine. BP

clonelark
09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks Bob, it wasn't the rain or shine that kept me away, it's my bedridden mom with alzhimers, definately will make it up there when i can.

memmerich
09-22-2010, 12:06 PM
Mike: The envelope with 4 photos went out in this morning's mail. Total cost to me with postage and everything was exactly $1, so don't worry about it. Don't bother to return the photos, either; they are duplicates.

I would like to have a copy of the magazine when it comes out, if you don't mind. Address in any Turning Wheels Co-Operator heading. Thanks. BP

Hi Bob,

Thanks a lot. Richard Poe e-mailed me some (for which I will make credit due), along with Bob Barrick. I will wait until I get yours then add the article to our newsletter. I will make sure that you get a copy.

Cheers, Mike.