PDA

View Full Version : Need door hinges for 37' Dictator

Turbostude53
09-18-2010, 04:47 PM
I need some front door hinges for my 37' Dictator "Tribaker" project.
I am building a 3-wheeled roadster from bits and pieces.
http://tribaker.wordpress.com/
320-282-4577

mbstude
09-18-2010, 04:51 PM
I don't have any hinges. But the Tribaker is coming along nicely, Greg. I love it!

Turbostude53
09-18-2010, 08:26 PM
I don't have any hinges. But the Tribaker is coming along nicely, Greg. I love it!

I'll see if I can scare up some stainless to put on it.....

mbstude
09-18-2010, 09:04 PM
I certainly think that you should. :cool:

gordr
09-18-2010, 10:38 PM
I'm cornfused! What hinges do you think you need? I have 4 extra doors here from a '37 Dictator sedan. Would the hinges off the rear doors work? The rear doors are "suicide" style, hinged at the rear, and the hinges are exposed. I think there are 4 complete rear door hinges, but I'm not sure.

Turbostude53
09-19-2010, 12:46 AM
I'm cornfused! What hinges do you think you need? I have 4 extra doors here from a '37 Dictator sedan. Would the hinges off the rear doors work? The rear doors are "suicide" style, hinged at the rear, and the hinges are exposed. I think there are 4 complete rear door hinges, but I'm not sure.

Well Gord, I'd prefer hinges to the front doors, but have never looked closely at whether the rear are the same. Right now, it might be easiest to make the doors swing in a conventional way, since there are still C-cab type latches on the backs of the doors (though I originally had hoped to do suicide doors).
http://tribaker.wordpress.com/
At this point, I could probably make just about any exposed pin hinge work with a little massaging.....

gordr
09-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, I can have a look. The front doors on the Dictator sedan were hinged at the front, and the rear doors at the rear. Seems to me you would really have some fabricating to do if you were to replace hidden front-mounted hinges with exposed ones, since the mounting surfaces are at basically 90 degrees to each other. Might be easier to suicide the doors, and not have to mess with the hinge pockets in the pillars?

Turbostude53
09-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Well, I can have a look. The front doors on the Dictator sedan were hinged at the front, and the rear doors at the rear. Seems to me you would really have some fabricating to do if you were to replace hidden front-mounted hinges with exposed ones, since the mounting surfaces are at basically 90 degrees to each other. Might be easier to suicide the doors, and not have to mess with the hinge pockets in the pillars?

Gord, the cowl is 37' and those hinges bolt right on. The doors, though from a C-cab, have been completely gutted, and are little more than flat pieces of sheet metal near the front. This needed to be done to recontour them and allow me to continue the beltline of the 37' into the doors, where the belt fades into flatness. I will be welding an inner structure to stiffen the door in the front again once I have the hinges to look at. I have a 37' St. Regis 2-door which I can study too. So right now it looks like exposed hinges from 37' in front and stock latching C-cab in the back.
Thanks!

Jeff_H
09-20-2010, 08:23 AM
Greg,

Its been quite some time since I checked out your website with the build on it. Looks like you've been busy! Gotta say, this is about the coolest project I have seen ever and hope to see it in person someday.

gordr
09-20-2010, 09:21 AM
Greg, I'll take a look today. Last year, I dragged home an old van body off a 3-ton truck, and used it to store sheet metal and some engines. Guess which the first parts that went into it were? It's not raining here today, so maybe I can get down there, and crawl in and see if the hinges are all there.

Turbostude53
09-20-2010, 11:51 AM
Greg,

Its been quite some time since I checked out your website with the build on it. Looks like you've been busy! Gotta say, this is about the coolest project I have seen ever and hope to see it in person someday.

Thanks Jeff,
I look at it as a process, and it may take a while to complete. I love the design part especially. Make sure to look me up if passing thru Minneapolis!

Turbostude53
09-20-2010, 11:53 AM
Greg, I'll take a look today. Last year, I dragged home an old van body off a 3-ton truck, and used it to store sheet metal and some engines. Guess which the first parts that went into it were? It's not raining here today, so maybe I can get down there, and crawl in and see if the hinges are all there.

Gord,
You are a loyal, long-distance friend!
Thanks

gordr
09-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Howdy Greg.
Finally had a look at the hinge situation yesterday. I was doing my Fall yard cleanup, and I had fired up the '61 Stude buggy, a Lark frame with a 259 and OD, and a seat, and nothing else, and was making an orbit of the yard, and I passed the old truck body where the '37 doors are stored. My memory kicked in, and I stopped right there, and crawled over some other junk, and got hands on the front doors. Both halves of all 4 hinges are there. Looks like I will probably have to drill out the screws to salvage them. Shall I go ahead?

Turbostude53
09-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Gord,
That would be great! Let me know what you'll need plus shipping and your address and I'll send off a check.
Thanks!
advo53@gmail.com