Reedsville 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reedsville 2010

Yeah, it's a little early (I believe the dates are Nov. 19-21) but while I had a rare Friday night open I booked my room at the Best Western in Milroy while I was thinking about it. I had this link from last year:

My room was $73.56 including all taxes and fees, with AAA discount. It's only a few years old, and 5 miles from the Meet. Very nice place. 48 hour cancellation.

Do I have the dates right?

Also- when is the earliest early-bird time, Friday morning? Or are there people setting up on Thursday?
    Last edited by Bob Andrews; 09-17-2010, 05:17 PM.
    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
    Romans 15:13
    Deuteronomy 31:6
    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Yes, Nov 19-20-21 but late afternoon Thursday the 18th is probably busier than Sunday the 21st. Cheapest deals are late Saturday & Sunday for stuff folks don't want to haul back home.

Most set-up is accomplished by mid-afternoon Thursday. Vendor to vendor sales/swaps ensue. Early-bird specials no doubt.
    Last edited by rockne10; 09-17-2010, 06:08 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Been there done that, long drive for a week end, last time we went we drove 6,700 miles and touched 24 states, did have a good time and plan on doing it again , just when I don't know...
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

Saw the Reedsville ad in the new TW and went a bit wistful...Wish I were going this year, enjoyed it hugely in '09 which was my first visit there, but the way my job hunt is going (read: "nowhere"), the fact is it's becoming more likely that I'll be putting the Lark on the market and getting out of the old-car biz sometime next month...

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
          Saw the Reedsville ad in the new TW and went a bit wistful...Wish I were going this year, enjoyed it hugely in '09 which was my first visit there, but the way my job hunt is going (read: "nowhere"), the fact is it's becoming more likely that I'll be putting the Lark on the market and getting out of the old-car biz sometime next month...

S.
          Steve,

Sorry to hear that. I hope that things turn around for you. Come on down to Reedsville anyway! Sometimes a little getaway R&R is good for body and soul. Be sure to stop by the house and see us.
          Jim Bradley
          Lake Monticello, VA
          '78 Avanti II
          sigpic

Comment

We've always loved coming to Reedsville in fall and are booked at the Best Western in Milroy. Its a bit outside of town but its the newest hotel in the area. Central Pennsylvania is very pretty and Nov is no exception. The Reedsville show takes place when most car shows are long gone. It's like the final event of the year before winter sets in and the collector cars get mothballed.
            I like shopping for the odd item at Reedsville and the wife also enjoys the area; the quaint small city of Lewistown, the Amish country near Reedsville, the country style food at Peachy's (its reopened), the antique/country markets, and if you want some nightlife or a gourmet dinner, State College is about a 40 minute drive.

Comment

A link here for A. J. Peachey's; rising from the ashes.
              Brad Johnson,
              SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
              '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
              '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                A link here for A. J. Peachey's; rising from the ashes.
                http://www.ajpeachey.com/index.php?o...id=5&Itemid=62
                It should be noted that those looking for the "old" Peachey's may be a bit disappointed. They are currently operating out of a cluster of temporary buildings, and the groundbreaking for the permanent rebuilding was just last week. They do have a bake shop, a craft shop, an ice cream stand, and a small deli/grocery, in addition to the interim restaurant.

The restaurant building seats about 60-70, but does not have the traditional buffet available. The above link does include the menus. Since facilities are limited, expect plastic utensils, but the food is still good,

The deli does have a fair selection of smoked meats and cheeses that I know are popular among our members.
                Last edited by Rerun; 10-27-2010, 01:25 AM. Reason: spelling
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Andrews View Post
                  Yeah, it's a little early (I believe the dates are Nov. 19-21) but while I had a rare Friday night open I booked my room at the Best Western in Milroy while I was thinking about it. I had this link from last year:

My room was $73.56 including all taxes and fees, with AAA discount. It's only a few years old, and 5 miles from the Meet. Very nice place. 48 hour cancellation
                  Of the local motels, I would recommend the Best Western. But, if you're looking for something a little different in lodging, there is also the "Briar Rose Bed & Breakfast" which is just across the creek from the Reedsville Youth Park.

While I haven't tried this one personally, we have some fun staying at B&Bs rather than motels.
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm really looking forward to it since I missed the last two years! And, getting the scrapple at Peachy's that Gary Ash is so fond of
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

A Reedsville tradition.

Does anyone know if Max Corkins will still be having the open house at his restoration shop on Friday night?

As for Peachys; we are aware that the whole place burned to a crisp earlier this year but since the food and groceries are really excellent we will probably make a stop there just to check things out. We are so glad that they are rebuilding. They sell some of the best hams and Amish style food that we've ever had.

Comment

I'll be in Harrisburg working that week before (one week there; two at home), so I'll just drive up to Reedsville Thursday afternoon. Have a room at the Best Western in Milroy; close, clean, and modern. Our Ohio Region SDC's "Mr. Studebaker", Ed Davies will be meeting me out there and splitting the room Friday. Another friend once told me he liked Reedsville better than York. It's definitely smaller as a swap meet than York, but I've come to agree with him. First, the drive there is beautiful; Max's place is fun (even though I broke a chair I was sitting on one year and fell straight down on my butt to the ground), and the camaraderie can't be beat.

See you all there!
                        Bill Pressler
                        Kent, OH
                        (formerly Greenville, PA)
                        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                        All are in Australia now

Comment

Leaving tomorrow in the AM. Also staying in Milroy at the Best Western. The weather report is 51/52F during the day and mid 30's at night but clear except for tomorrow night where they are calling for rain. See ya all there. Enjoy the scenic drive.

Comment

Working...
                          X