A bit of a pickle on a bridge...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A bit of a pickle on a bridge...

Heading home yesterday I had a rather unsettling problem. On the way home, on the bridge across GrassValley Creek, I stopped at the gate and the truck stalled. Not a problem, I thought my foot had slipped on the clutch. After opening the gate I tried to start the truck. Nothing. Not even a groan. I tried rolling it backwards, rocking it, still nothing, just a click. I walked up to the house and had lunch (The driveway is just over a mile). Then took the wheelbarrow down to the truck with a fresh battery. Still nothing. So, I took the carb off of it and put it on the wagon (one good carb between two vehicles, Oi vay!). By this time it was six o'clock and I was exhausted. Tomorrow would have to do to move the truck. In the meantime, the bridge was blocked. My neighbor John was on my mind. He's just enough of a jerk to have the truck towed because it's blocking the bridge. Not that this was a problem for him as his house is on the other side of the bridge. He does own the land, though, that the drive runs on.

So, this morning, I went down to the bridge with the wagon, hooked up the truck with the tow bar, and took it up the hill to the house. I didn't make it up the last grade though (a very steep hop running about a hundred feet climbing about twenty or thirty). So, I just disconnected it there (after setting the transmission and blocking the rear wheels), dropping the hitch bar and tow bar (both old UHaul equipment), and put the wagon away. Took me about an hour to get the tow bar off the truck as the chains had jammed in the spring shackles. After the tow bar was off, I rolled the truck down the hill backwards and dumped the clutch into reverse. First two times all the rear wheels did was skid. The third time, the engine turned over. So, I tried the key. SUCCESS! Whatever was stuck is freed. I had forgotten that the carb was off and remembered after I turned the key. I looked under the hood and had jelly legs. The disconnected fuel line was spewing fuel on the starter solonoid. thankfully there's a fire-extinguisher available, though I'd rather not have to use it. So, I'll swap the carb over later today and bring the truck to the top of the hill. I have to figure out what the problem was here. It's likely this will happen again. I don't want it to happen very far from home.
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

So why would you take the carburetor off, if the engine would not turn over? I fail to see the logic. Sounds like you have some kind of a mis-match between the starter pinion and the ring gear.
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord- Ron stated he only has one carb. I'd guess he needed it to make the wagon run.
      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
      Romans 15:13
      Deuteronomy 31:6
      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Sorry I wasn't clear on that Gord. Two running vehicles and only one good carb between them. To move the disabled vehicle I had to remove the carb and install it on the retrieval vehicle. I've tried putting rebuild kits in several carbs only to end up with a less than satisfactory result. So, I figure that it would be best to have a pro do it. Sadly, right now I don't have the nearly two hundred dollars to have it done. It's worth the money, I just don't have it.
        Ron Smith

Comment

sounds like your starter drive is getting stuck in the ring gear. I'd guess a worn ring gear. If the ring gear turns around fine w/o damaged teeth, I'd then guess mis-matched engine/b'hsg and you might find a loose and wobbly drive in the starter. Just a guess.

Comment

A very good guess indeed, Jack. the ring gear on this flywheel is indeed quite worn. In fact, I've (quite some time ago) opened a thread on this issue. I apparently had a starter that wouldn't quite engage all the way and it wore off the first eighth inch of the teeth, as well as it's own, by the time I was able to correct the issue. The starter in there now fully engages the ring gear. Perhaps it's engaging it a bit too much in a worn spot?
            Ron Smith

Comment

the starter drive gear is softer than the ring gear. Once the ring gear is worn (usually in 3, maybe four equidistant palces on the circumference), the starter won't last long. If you have a mismatched , or non-dialed in engine/b'hsg....you may get occasional jamming....

Comment

I'm still on "I thought my foot slipped off the clutch" Phyllis Diller went to the doctor for a pain under her left breast. Turned out to be a trick knee!
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

OK, it's clearer now. In future, if the starter jams, simply put the truck in 3rd gear, no, not first or reverse, and grab it by the tailgate, and get it rocking to and fro by alternately pushing and pulling, when the pinion pops free, you'll know it. Third gear gives you the benefit of the most mechanical advantage for moving the engine. If overdrive is present, lock it out.

This probably could have got you going without so much as even a stroll to the house.
                  Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Yeah, well there you have it. I did all the wrong things I guess, trying first and second. Next time I'll know to try third instead. Thanks Gordon!
                    Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                    X