used up original parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• used up original parts

Why am I having a hard time throwing away the orignal date coded side glass from my 52 Champion? I know we are not talking Hemi Cudas here, and the glass was starting to bubble a little. I did not want to put it back in with all the new rubber stuff I got. No time like now to replace it.
    So why does it feel so wrong to drop this stuff in the dumpster? You can hardly see the date marks, but it's kind of cool that they lasted all this time. My car is heavily modified anyway, I don't know why this is bugging me. Maybe I'll make an end table or something.

Dan
    52 hardtop

At the risk of being called a sentimental old sap (hey, I've been called worse...) I understand where you're coming from.

It broke my heart to throw away a rusted, broken and throughly unuseable trunk release cable from my Avanti. Just the thought that it had been in the car for 43 years and put in place by a guy on the line in South Bend made me want to treat it with a bit of respect.

A suggestion as what to do with it...have a glass shop cut it into small circles (especially the area with the date code) polish the edge and make a set of "Limited Edition" Studebaker coasters. You could sell them with a note with the car's year, mileage, make and model & serial.

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

At the risk of being called a sentimental old sap (hey, I've been called worse...) I understand where you're coming from.

It broke my heart to throw away a rusted, broken and throughly unuseable trunk release cable from my Avanti. Just the thought that it had been in the car for 43 years and put in place by a guy on the line in South Bend made me want to treat it with a bit of respect.

A suggestion as what to do with it...have a glass shop cut it into small circles (especially the area with the date code) polish the edge and make a set of "Limited Edition" Studebaker coasters. You could sell them with a note with the car's year, mileage, make and model & serial.

63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State
      63 Avanti R1 2788
      1914 Stutz Bearcat
      (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Michidan

Why am I having a hard time throwing away the orignal date coded side glass from my 52 Champion? I know we are not talking Hemi Cudas here, and the glass was starting to bubble a little. I did not want to put it back in with all the new rubber stuff I got. No time like now to replace it.
        So why does it feel so wrong to drop this stuff in the dumpster? You can hardly see the date marks, but it's kind of cool that they lasted all this time. My car is heavily modified anyway, I don't know why this is bugging me. Maybe I'll make an end table or something.

Take it to your local chapter meeting one night, and sell it off for $5.00 a piece!! I know when the local PYP got in a '49 Land Cruiser (an aborted rod project) a few years ago, I couldn't bear not to take the doors and a couple of good fenders it had. That weekend's special was 'All body panels for $9.99', and I'd rather pay that than see it all go to the crusher.[^]

Craig

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Michidan

Take it to your local chapter meeting one night, and sell it off for $5.00 a piece!! I know when the local PYP got in a '49 Land Cruiser (an aborted rod project) a few years ago, I couldn't bear not to take the doors and a couple of good fenders it had. That weekend's special was 'All body panels for $9.99', and I'd rather pay that than see it all go to the crusher.[^]

Craig

Comment

Dan,

This is something I wrestle with ALOT!!! It's tough to pitch something even when there's no REAL chance for it to be refurbished - like the glass you speak of.
            I've been taking this Wagonaire hulk apart and each screw and clip I remove, the dried bits of masking tape that held shims and wiring in place during production line assembly - all were last touched by the hand of some Studebaker worker. Maybe it was someone with quite a bit of seniority there - maybe a newbie - I'll never know. But I'm sure they were hoping the 63s would sell well so they could look forward to a brighter future. These folks could still be around - conversely, they could be gone from this world. But there I am - undoing little bits of what they did in the pursuit of building Studebakers, some 44 years ago.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Dan,

This is something I wrestle with ALOT!!! It's tough to pitch something even when there's no REAL chance for it to be refurbished - like the glass you speak of.
              I've been taking this Wagonaire hulk apart and each screw and clip I remove, the dried bits of masking tape that held shims and wiring in place during production line assembly - all were last touched by the hand of some Studebaker worker. Maybe it was someone with quite a bit of seniority there - maybe a newbie - I'll never know. But I'm sure they were hoping the 63s would sell well so they could look forward to a brighter future. These folks could still be around - conversely, they could be gone from this world. But there I am - undoing little bits of what they did in the pursuit of building Studebakers, some 44 years ago.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Move a couple of times.
                That'll change your attitude, for sure
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Dan
                52 hardtop

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                Brooklet, Georgia
                '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                '61 Hawk (project)
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Move a couple of times.
                  That'll change your attitude, for sure
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Michidan

Dan
                  52 hardtop

DEEPNHOCK at Gmail.com
                  Brooklet, Georgia
                  '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                  '61 Hawk (project)
                  http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                  X