PDA

View Full Version : clock repair

E. Davis
09-13-2010, 05:21 PM
Sometime ago I think there was a thread relating to having a Hawk clock converted to a quartz works. Ring any bells and if so where was this service located.

valleyguy
09-13-2010, 05:40 PM
Not sure about a previous thread but I had my Hawk clock converted to quartz movement (via mail) at Auto Instruments Corp.,
Collinsville, Virginia, 276-647-5550; believe I found them in TW magazine. Good job, reasonable turnaround.

Joe D.

showbizkid
09-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I can also recommend Clockworks in Wisconsin. www.clockwks.com . Did a great job on the clock on Barney!

Chucks Stude
09-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Second on Clockworks. Did a great job on a Hawk clock.

E. Davis
09-13-2010, 10:03 PM
thanks guys. I'll get in contact with both and see what I can do.

StudHawk60
09-14-2010, 10:11 AM
I'm not trying to change your mind on the conversion, but did you realize that most of the time these clocks are very easy to fix? Usually all that's needed is to clean up the points, clean and oil the guts, any maybe resolder a wire. I did the one in my Hawk several years ago, and it still keeps great time. (It's also pretty cool to hear it ticking). If your interested in trying, there's a good tutorial on Hawk clock repair online. I'd post the link here, but I'm at work, and don't have it handy. Let me know if you're interested.

jdmavanti
09-14-2010, 10:48 AM
I'm not trying to change your mind on the conversion, but did you realize that most of the time these clocks are very easy to fix? Usually all that's needed is to clean up the points, clean and oil the guts, any maybe resolder a wire. I did the one in my Hawk several years ago, and it still keeps great time. (It's also pretty cool to hear it ticking). If your interested in trying, there's a good tutorial on Hawk clock repair online. I'd post the link here, but I'm at work, and don't have it handy. Let me know if you're interested.

Perhaps you're thinking of the one at Ray-Lin Restoration's website?

http://www.raylinrestoration.com/TechnicalPages/ClockRepair.htm

Chucks Stude
09-14-2010, 12:30 PM
I attempted to take my clock apart, following the Ray-Lin prescriptions. I found the spring destroyed, the winding shaft would not contact the two bearings at each end of the shaft. Obviously, it was so badly worn, it was not fixable at my level. I sent it to Clockworks, who gave me the option of fixing it as is, or putting in a quartz movement. They did all this and shipping for under $150.00. Not worth me trying to procure the parts and trying to fix it myself.

Retired
09-14-2010, 01:07 PM
Shortly after purchasing our '63 Avanti in 1976 I met our former paper boy in the grocery store. Asking what he was doing since college he responed he was president of the Geo. W. Borg instrument company. Need I say I didn't hesitate asking if I sent him my Avanti clock for cleaning and repair. The clock was returned in perfect operating condition. I later had a '42 Commander clock done.

showbizkid
09-14-2010, 01:11 PM
I should have elaborated that I had Clock Works repair and refurb the original points-type mechanism on my Lark's clock. Yes, it's worth it for the nostalgia :)

I put the quartz conversion into my Pontiac LeMans, and it keeps great time but doesn't move or "tick" like it ought to. Just sayin'.

mausersmth
09-14-2010, 04:37 PM
I should have elaborated that I had Clock Works repair and refurb the original points-type mechanism on my Lark's clock. Yes, it's worth it for the nostalgia :)

I put the quartz conversion into my Pontiac LeMans, and it keeps great time but doesn't move or "tick" like it ought to. Just sayin'.

I think I'd lean toward the original works too. A properly repaired mechanical clock can keep great time and has the proper sound!

JimK
09-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Got mine back just last week from Clock Works after a refurb. The Ray-Lin instructions are also excellent, and I got mine running reasonably well following these (plus a few tips from my clock repairer BIL (who won't work on these things )). But after I lost the setting pinion, Clock Works was the next best choice. It's real easy to use too much oil - just use tiny drops at the pivot points. Use spray electronics cleaner first to clean it up - not brake cleaner.

That said, anyone who has opened one of these up and looked will likely have the same reaction I did - these things are not meant to last very long. Clock Works recommends putting a switch in line with the fuse, which I also did. Two benefits besides saving on wear & tear: 1. it keeps the clock from running down the battery, and 2. although the fuse also prevents this, if you bypass the fuse and run the battery down, the current draw when the points close could cause overheating in the wires with unpleasant results (so I've been told).