PDA

View Full Version : Young girls and Studebakers

Mike Van Veghten
09-13-2010, 03:38 PM
Or should I say, just different looking cars.

I went to my local "In and Out" (burgers) the other day....got my normal order. The guy handing me my food asked if I wanted sugar for my iced tea. I said yes, 16 please (yea...tea with my sugar..!) He handed them to me...already counted out...!
A girl standing beside him said...."see, I told you, I recognized the car !".

I had to laugh...

Mike

P.s. - My 59, 2dr wagon is my daily driver.

JRoberts
09-13-2010, 04:29 PM
It is nice to be noticed by the cool car you drive.

DEEPNHOCK
09-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Get out of the south and they don't know what sweet tea is...:rolleyes:

Or should I say, just different looking cars.
I went to my local "In and Out" (burgers) the other day....got my normal order. The guy handing me my food asked if I wanted sugar for my iced tea. I said yes, 16 please (yea...tea with my sugar..!) He handed them to me...already counted out...!
A girl standing beside him said...."see, I told you, I recognized the car !".
I had to laugh...
Mike
P.s. - My 59, 2dr wagon is my daily driver.

Chris Pile
09-13-2010, 06:07 PM
16 sugars? Are you a diabetic yet?

ralt12
09-13-2010, 06:27 PM
Not funny.

JRoberts
09-13-2010, 06:54 PM

....and thus the need for excess sugar in unsweetened tea, espeically if it is cold. If the sugar is not put in while the tea is boiling, or close to it, it will not properly disolve (Yes it is a molecular thing. At least that is what my son said he learned in chemestry class.). As a result to make tea sweet when adding it after the tea has been made and cooled, you end up putting more sugar than seems needed just to make it taste somewhat sweet.

I hardly ever drink tea anymore, and never will order it north of Richmond, VA. or west of Memphis, TN.

dictator27
09-13-2010, 07:13 PM

Unless it's chai :)

No sugar in my iced tea, thank you. You can squeeze half a lemon in it, though. ;)

Terry

Chris Pile
09-13-2010, 07:18 PM
I do not profane my tea with sugar.

rockinhawk
09-13-2010, 08:45 PM
....and thus the need for excess sugar in unsweetened tea, espeically if it is cold. If the sugar is not put in while the tea is boiling, or close to it, it will not properly disolve (Yes it is a molecular thing. At least that is what my son said he learned in chemestry class.). As a result to make tea sweet when adding it after the tea has been made and cooled, you end up putting more sugar than seems needed just to make it taste somewhat sweet.

I hardly ever drink tea anymore, and never will order it north of Richmond, VA. or west of Memphis, TN.Same way with GRITS. You gotta put the salt in while they are cooking. NT

DEEPNHOCK
09-13-2010, 08:57 PM
What is truly wierd is that I like grits with butter and 'sugar free' syrup....
I know it's all wrong, but......
Jeff:cool:

Same way with GRITS. You gotta put the salt in while they are cooking. NT

Mike Van Veghten
09-13-2010, 09:24 PM
I'm talken girls & Studebakers, and you nut cases want to talk sugar/diabeties.......this sure went to hell, didn't it..!

I knew I backed off this Stude internet stuff for some reason.

Mike

P.s. - And no, for those with their concern...I don't have diabeties...!

Milaca
09-13-2010, 09:31 PM
Mike, to relate to your original story, I received a compliment from a cute young lady attending the Dairy Queen drive-thru last summer when I was driving my Hawk. It was certainly a pleasant surprise. :)

Bob Andrews
09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Mike, to relate to your original story, I received a compliment from a cute young lady attending the Dairy Queen drive-thru last summer when I was driving my Hawk. It was certainly a pleasant surprise. :)

I know this really cute girl that works at the SNM you should show it to. The Hawk, that is<GG>

Milaca
09-13-2010, 10:01 PM
I know this really cute girl that works at the SNM you should show it to. The Hawk, that is<GG>

"Giggity giggity!" :)

HammondA100
09-13-2010, 10:36 PM
I better be careful then because I'm married!!
As for the tea - we drink chai around here. My wife is a foreigner so we do things differently Tak děkuji!!

okc63avanti
09-13-2010, 10:39 PM

A few years ago before starting the resto-mod on my 63 Avanti I went to a car wash being run by a group of teens with the Avanti. One of the extremely cute teen girls couldn't quit asking about my car. Her Dad was into Corvettes but she fell in love with the Avanti. After it was washed and buffed, she asked if she could hug my car so I sheeply said OK, and she proceeded to laid her chest down on the hood, spread open her arms and hug my Avanti. It took every ounce of self control to remind myself that I was old enought to be her Dad !!! :rolleyes:

starliner62
09-14-2010, 02:27 AM
I read all of this and as I was driving my Lark the other day, I saw my wife sitting on the front porch when I came home. I met her inside and she said, " I just saw an old man driving a Lark" I think it's time for my mid-life crisis to start!!

clonelark
09-14-2010, 06:02 AM
Always nice to be reconized by the car you drive.
I have always used a lot of suger in my tea and coffee, I shoulda been dead a long time ago according to most people, I'll give it up when i get sick (Maybe). Have weighed 155-160 lbs for 40+ years (now 67)

Ron Dame
09-14-2010, 06:26 AM

I get a lot of complements from the ladies on my Champ...but it seems they are WAY past young (by 50 years or better)....I just don't know what to make of that. Jane thinks it's funny.

jclary
09-14-2010, 07:13 AM
I get a lot of complements from the ladies on my Champ...but it seems they are WAY past young (by 50 years or better)....I just don't know what to make of that. Jane thinks it's funny.

Forgive me if I have told this story before, but Ron's post about older ladies reminded me. Not long after completing the restoration of my '48 business coupe, I had driven the 30 or so miles to David Walker's restaurant in Chesnee S.C. for breakfast. After a good meal and fellowship, I was in the car about to leave when an elderly lady with a cane and being assisted by her son came out.

Feeble as she seemed...when she looked over and spotted my car, her face lit up as bright as the sunshine filtering through the morning fog. She made her way over to the car and respectfully requested if she could look it over. Excitedly she explained how she and her husband had owned one the same color. Theirs was a sedan and the first new car they had owned. Her son seemed almost embarrassed as she fawned all over the car. She told how early in the morning she would get in her car and drive it up the long dirt driveway to get her newspaper. I allowed her to slip behind the wheel and noticed tears in her eyes as the memories flooded back.

As they made their way to their own car, it seemed to me that her steps were a bit less halting. She was still chattering to her son about old times. I thought of my own widowed mother who is in her 80's and often "lights up" at the opportunity to share memories of good times.

These are the moments that make the hobby most special...be respectful...never pass an opportunity to share...you might just make some ones day "special!":)

Chantony
09-14-2010, 08:27 AM
So true John.
In the eighties,I used to drive a 58 President sedan in a turquoise metallic color with white roof and fins.A lot of girls loved it and my brother's wife at the time thought it was such a great looking car.She was from the era of being a teenager when fins were in and it sure brought back happy memories for her.
Tony

DEEPNHOCK
09-14-2010, 08:38 AM
If something dumb like a thread wandering off bothers you that much Mike, maybe you should back off.
This place shouldn't have to read like a service manual on each and every post.
And calling people here nut cases will not endear you to the embedded kooks:)

I'm talken girls & Studebakers, and you nut cases want to talk sugar/diabeties.......this sure went to hell, didn't it..!
I knew I backed off this Stude internet stuff for some reason.
Mike
P.s. - And no, for those with their concern...I don't have diabeties...!

blackhawk61
09-14-2010, 12:30 PM
Speaking of "Young Girls and Studebakers"
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg72/blackhawk61/Hooters1-1.jpg

warrlaw1
09-14-2010, 02:52 PM
Took my 55 hardtop through the Tim Hortons drive through a couple of times. Then I showed up in my Acura Legend Coupe and they wanted to know what happened to my "sports car"? LOL

Mike Van Veghten
09-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Hey Jeff (deepnhock) -

Is this the stove calling the kettle black...?
You of all people should know my skin is pretty thick.....!

Mike

rockinhawk
09-14-2010, 08:39 PM
I sold my 57 Chevy and bought a 56 Skyhawk. This pretty young teen girl said"OH I just LOVE that car!" So I married her. What else could I do? That was 42 years, 4 kids, 6 grandkids, and a hundred Studebakers ago. NT

DEEPNHOCK
09-14-2010, 08:55 PM
Yeppers...
That's why I thought your post was curious, at best...

Hey Jeff (deepnhock) -
Is this the stove calling the kettle black...?
You of all people should know my skin is pretty thick.....!
Mike

rockne10
09-14-2010, 09:08 PM
Forgive me if I have told this story before, but Ron's post about older ladies reminded me. Not long after completing the restoration of my '48 business coupe, I had driven the 30 or so miles to David Walker's restaurant in Chesnee S.C. for breakfast. After a good meal and fellowship, I was in the car about to leave when an elderly lady with a cane and being assisted by her son came out.

Feeble as she seemed...when she looked over and spotted my car, her face lit up as bright as the sunshine filtering through the morning fog. She made her way over to the car and respectfully requested if she could look it over. Excitedly she explained how she and her husband had owned one the same color. Theirs was a sedan and the first new car they had owned. Her son seemed almost embarrassed as she fawned all over the car. She told how early in the morning she would get in her car and drive it up the long dirt driveway to get her newspaper. I allowed her to slip behind the wheel and noticed tears in her eyes as the memories flooded back.

As they made their way to their own car, it seemed to me that her steps were a bit less halting. She was still chattering to her son about old times. I thought of my own widowed mother who is in her 80's and often "lights up" at the opportunity to share memories of good times.

These are the moments that make the hobby most special...be respectful...never pass an opportunity to share...you might just make some ones day "special!":)

I wonder how many of our chapters have organized meets to take place in retirement homes or villages. We did one once and it was truly gratifying to see the residents' response.:cool: We will be them someday; sooner than we would like.:(

Of course, meeting at a Hooters Restaurant doesn't hurt either.:rolleyes:

sals54
09-14-2010, 11:25 PM
When I took my 64 Wagon to a rat rod car show, it attracted girls who wanted their pictures taken in the back of the car. These were the cute little "Betty Page" types. It was all good fun. And no, I did not pose with them.
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm197/sals54/IMG_0985.jpg

rockinhawk
09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
I wonder how many of our chapters have organized meets to take place in retirement homes or villages. We did one once and it was truly gratifying to see the residents' response.:cool: We will be them someday; sooner than we would like.:(

Of course, meeting at a Hooters Restaurant doesn't hurt either.:rolleyes:the So.Ga. Chapter has met at several retirement homes over the years. We have also met at some childrens homes. Residents of both really seemed to enjoy our visits. Both can tug on your heart strings too. NT

jclary
09-15-2010, 08:31 AM
the So.Ga. Chapter has met at several retirement homes over the years. We have also met at some childrens homes. Residents of both really seemed to enjoy our visits. Both can tug on your heart strings too. NT
Same here. If nothing else, it will make you give thanks for your health, humble you, and give you a chance to ponder your future...a very sobering experience.