Grinding first gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding first gear

The first gear on my '40 is grinding whenever I down shift, even at a complete stop. Normally I would shift into second first to stop first gear from rotating, then down shift. For some reason this no longer works. What could the problem be and how do I fix it?
    Thanks

Look at your clutch adjustment first, it sounds like it could use a little tightening.

Comment

I know you are young, (so please don't take offense at this) but you do know that the transmission is not synchronized in first. Couple of additional things...make sure you have enough oil in the transmission. On these older worn transmissions, too high an idle speed will cause the gears to "motor up" in neutral with the clutch engaged. So...check your idle speed.
      John Clary
      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I agree with checking your clutch adjustment. If it is dragging shifting to 2nd then into 1st will result in a grind. How does reverse work?

Comment

Don't forget the art of double-clutching. Try letting the clutch out in neutral, then depress the clutch and shift into first, and let out the clutch. On my '49 Champion I used to shift into 2nd, then into 1st to begin forward motion. There's no rigid formula on driving old cars...
          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

The formula for driving a Manual Trans. Studebaker, is simple...since there is never any need to shift to 1 st. gear while rolling if you have Brakes, NEVER do that!
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

2nd gear is so low on my Champion I have never felt the need to downshift. Any forward motion and I can pull from 2nd.

Maybe I am reading Chris' post wrong but I think he is getting a grind at a stop AFTER shifting into 2nd to stop the rotation and line everything up. That should not happen unless the clutch is dragging.

Comment

Thanks for the tips
                I think it is probably the clutch linkage. The old one literally snapped in half and I just replaced it about a week ago. (The old linkage was a home made set of bent bolts stuck together.) The new linkage is made out of a set of ball joints. It also had too high of an idle before (and after) I changed the linkage. I fixed this problem by relocating the throttle return spring to a better location and it dosen't stick anymore. I don't know if that will make a difference because I haven't had a chance to drive it yet. Ill adjust the clutch linkage tonight and report on it... It also made a little less grind in third too, but not nearly as bad as first.

Comment

Could it be tired old lubricant being a little too stiff as well as the other things mentioned, such as the clutch and the idle speed? Perhaps time to drain, clean out, and refill??

Comment

Originally posted by Jim B PEI View Post
                    Could it be tired old lubricant being a little too stiff as well as the other things mentioned, such as the clutch and the idle speed? Perhaps time to drain, clean out, and refill??
                    It could probably stand to be flused out again, but I gave it a complete oil change in everything just before the May meet. It could probably stand it. Changing the oil in the tranny is one of the things that bugs me about my car... Since mine has a T-96, the frame is in the way of the oil fill making it very difficult to fill. Last time I filled it, I had a piece on gas line stuck to the top of the oil bottle to fill it. The gas line didn't stick too well to the plastic bottle that had oil on it, so the line came off and I got fludded with oil! Anybody know a good way to do this other than cutting a hole in the floor?

Comment

If you changed your trans fluid in May, I doubt you need to do it again this soon. Just check and make sure it has not leaked down. An inexpensive "pump type" transfer can be bought at your parts store. It has a flexible tube and will screw right on the top of an oil bottle or lube bottle. With the linkage problems you have had and your "fixes" you improvised...I would check there for the problems you described.

Just a few "fatherly comments"...I know you are young and I admire and encourage your passion and enthusiasm for Studebakers. However, don't neglect your school work and other chores. However, the lessons you learn from "messing with" this old car (even your mistakes) can be just as valuable as anything learned in a classroom.
                      John Clary
                      Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I used to have the same problem with the trans fill. Mine leaks a bit so I top it off every 6 months or so. A old pump bottle full of SAE 90 works great for me but I am only putting in an ounce or two at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          If you changed your trans fluid in May, I doubt you need to do it again this soon. Just check and make sure it has not leaked down. An inexpensive "pump type" transfer can be bought at your parts store. It has a flexible tube and will screw right on the top of an oil bottle or lube bottle. With the linkage problems you have had and your "fixes" you improvised...I would check there for the problems you described.

Just a few "fatherly comments"...I know you are young and I admire and encourage your passion and enthusiasm for Studebakers. However, don't neglect your school work and other chores. However, the lessons you learn from "messing with" this old car (even your mistakes) can be just as valuable as anything learned in a classroom.
                          Last night I checked a few things under my car. Where I changed the clutch linkage, there was a problem... There is a rod the runs from the tranny to the frame. The clutch linkage is on that rod and when it turns, that's what clutches the tranny. To keep the rod in place, there is a hole in the frame that it goes into. Well, the rod came out of place even with the new linkage! So tonight I'm going to add an extension and stop on that rod to keep in in place.

Also, straight As in school, and going for a 4.0

Comment

Congrats on the grades. Keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by 40Champion View Post
                              Last night I checked a few things under my car. Where I changed the clutch linkage, there was a problem... There is a rod the runs from the tranny to the frame. The clutch linkage is on that rod and when it turns, that's what clutches the tranny. To keep the rod in place, there is a hole in the frame that it goes into. Well, the rod came out of place even with the new linkage! So tonight I'm going to add an extension and stop on that rod to keep in in place.

Also, straight As in school, and going for a 4.0
                              That's terrific Chris! I was always a 4.0 student...until the first quiz. Actually, I think I passed mostly because I went to a small school... Only one teacher per grade. I got passed because no teacher wanted to have me two years in a row!
                              John Clary
                              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                              X