PDA

View Full Version : Looking for an Avanti

Bob Andrews
09-12-2010, 06:40 PM
I am about able to finally play a bit. Still can't afford any pricey keepers yet; but I have a plan B. That is, find one driver that's already decent; do some odds and ends, drive a bit, then resell; then repeat. The goal is to get to know a car a bit, then hopefully make a couple bucks to reinvest in the next. Sort of a JDP Junior Light<G>

Top of my list is an Avanti. I've never had one, never had a huge desire for one. Still, they intrigue me, so I'd like to try one. I've sold off most of my cars, so I have a spot for one in my home shop. I could tinker a bit, drive it some when Spring rolls around, then sell it and get another Stude.

I do not have the time or interest for a major project; when I get there I'll get onto my r2 Skytop project. My goal for next Summer is to get the Provincial on the road for Momma, and have a driver to enjoy a bit in the meantime.

I'm looking for a running, driving car that maybe needs a bit of this or that. Wouldn't rule out an Avanti II for the right deal. Would consider a complete, decent running-when-parked car that's currently not running. Just can't get into a major project right now.

My price range is in the $10K vicinity, but let me know what you have.

I am watching eBay closely, and a few other sources, but I know I don't catch them all. And that doesn't include those thinking about selling but haven't advertised yet; that's why I'm posting here. If someone has one they want gone before Winter or the holidays, let me know. Maybe we can make a deal! (Yes, I am watching the orange-gold one on ebay).

My direct e-mail is bams50@msn.com . Thanks!

JDP
09-12-2010, 09:11 PM
I am about able to finally play a bit. Still can't afford any pricey keepers yet; but I have a plan B. That is, find one driver that's already decent; do some odds and ends, drive a bit, then resell; then repeat. The goal is to get to know a car a bit, then hopefully make a couple bucks to reinvest in the next. Sort of a JDP Junior Light<G>

Top of my list is an Avanti. I've never had one, never had a huge desire for one. Still, they intrigue me, so I'd like to try one. I've sold off most of my cars, so I have a spot for one in my home shop. I could tinker a bit, drive it some when Spring rolls around, then sell it and get another Stude.

I do not have the time or interest for a major project; when I get there I'll get onto my r2 Skytop project. My goal for next Summer is to get the Provincial on the road for Momma, and have a driver to enjoy a bit in the meantime.

I'm looking for a running, driving car that maybe needs a bit of this or that. Wouldn't rule out an Avanti II for the right deal. Would consider a complete, decent running-when-parked car that's currently not running. Just can't get into a major project right now.

My price range is in the $10K vicinity, but let me know what you have.

I am watching eBay closely, and a few other sources, but I know I don't catch them all. And that doesn't include those thinking about selling but haven't advertised yet; that's why I'm posting here. If someone has one they want gone before Winter or the holidays, let me know. Maybe we can make a deal! (Yes, I am watching the orange-gold one on ebay).

My direct e-mail is bams50@msn.com . Thanks!

How about 7K for one that has had 20K put in it in the last few years, but needs paint. (badly) New engine, rebulit cruise-o-matc all new weatherstriping, new tires, new windsheild, nice used interior including dash, new carpets, headliner and a bunch more. AC blows cold, gauges all work, even the clock, so do all the lights.

Bob Andrews
09-12-2010, 09:21 PM
Very interested. E-mail sent.

rockne10
09-12-2010, 09:24 PM
http://sdckeystoneregion.com/images/1_pic_1.jpg (http://sdckeystoneregion.com/images/1_pic_1.jpg)
http://www.sdckeystoneregion.com/pdf/rafflecar.pdf

Bob Andrews
09-13-2010, 05:45 AM
Oh, never fear Brad, I'm on it! I can make room for a second Avanti:) In fact it would be fun to do a side-by-side drive and compare...

studegary
09-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Too bad that I just missed that C/L 1980 Avanti in Connecticut for under $4K. I would have passed it on to you.

bige
09-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Hopefully you are seriously considering JDP's Avanti. For a man with your skills the paint is virtually a non-issue. The interior, on the other hand, is a real pain and having that done even if just to driver standards is BIG.

Cruisematic? So someone did a conversion and you have 1st gear start? If I'm correct that's also a huge plus.

Be prepared to get a lot of attention. Whenever I drive one of the Avantis to the local Advance Auto Parts the store usually empties into the parking lot to look at the car. A woman and her escaped convict looking boyfriend followed me home and up my driveway to ask me what kind of car it was.

Careful, though, you may not want to part with the car so the quick turn plan may not come to fruition.

I'm looking forward to your subsequent Avanti related posts.

ErnieR

Bob Andrews
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
Yes, Ernie, I have had a few leads, but JDP's is my first choice. Just waiting for him to get back to me (and take some pictures) and we'll get the deal made. I can sand and prep a bit at a time all winter and get it ready to spray when the weather breaks in the Spring. Then, whether I keep it or not, it should be pretty nice for someone. My only concern is it's some horrific olive drab factory color scheme:p Just my luck would be olive drab with brown interior or something:(...

I did ask about the trans., he said the cruiseomatic is basically the same trans with first gear start and a vacuum modulator. The list of repairs done by the PO will make your hair stand on end:eek:

They're cool looking, but as for driving it seems those with a lot of experience driving them are split about the long-term enjoyability. I've heard plenty of stories about ride, comfort, excessive interior heat, etc. Some love 'em, some hate 'em, some are indifferent. This is the best way to find out for myself. I always thought a keeper Avanti for me would be a II or up with Chevy drivetrain, better seats, moonroof, etc. But you never know.

Especially if my Princess takes a shine to it:)

You can bet there will be posts about it.

Who'da thunk it- the ultimate Lark nerd talking Avantis?? <G>

kurtruk
09-13-2010, 09:44 PM
Nix the moonroof if it rains in your area. And it does.

Welcome
09-13-2010, 10:00 PM
I am about able to finally play a bit. Still can't afford any pricey keepers yet; but I have a plan B. That is, find one driver that's already decent; do some odds and ends, drive a bit, then resell; then repeat. The goal is to get to know a car a bit, then hopefully make a couple bucks to reinvest in the next. Sort of a JDP Junior Light<G><<< Thanks!

IIRC [without re-reading all 13,078 of your posts;)], you were a New York State licensed Used Car Dealer. If you still are, that would make a big difference in how successful your “Plan B” is. If not, and New York State laws governing resale of vehicles are anything like Indiana’s, then “Plan B” could be a loosing affair. Ask me how I know!:o

Bob Andrews
09-13-2010, 10:17 PM
Yes, I am a licensed dealer. I buy and sell cars every day. I'm just now emerging from a rough stretch, where I survived in part by battening down the hatches. I had a fairly large classic car collection, which I sold off to pay down debt and prepare for what I see on the horizon. I think it will be a while before I can have any keepers save for my low-buck Larks and Momma's Provincial wagon, none of which are worth much of anything. I carry an inventory of modern cars in my business, but it would be cool to play with a couple classics. The goal is to enjoy the hobby on whatever level I can. My brother thinks I'm foolish for not just focusing on doing what we do, but a guy's gotta have a little fun...

My biggest worry is my tendency to fall in love with old cars, and how much discipline it'll take to move them along when it's time;)

BTW- still don't care about post count... must have taken a little effort to find that total:confused:

bige
09-13-2010, 10:20 PM
The trans thing is a fairly complicated project if I'm not mistaken. The input shafts need to be swapped along with the tailshaft and housing if memory serves.

I've never driven a car old or new that isn't hot in the summer if the air is off. Insulate the floors, make sure the holes in the firewall have their assorted grommets in place, hood seal intact and check the boot for the shifter.

I can understand the appeal of the II's but as you get newer the mish-mosh of parts, the lack of electrical schematics, leaky sunroofs, funky deck lid racks, weak frames etc. can easily overcome the appeal of the small block. Since the engine and transmission are not particularly problematic on the Stude the Chevy is only an advantage if you want to build a hot rod and you know as well as I once you start doing that say goodbye to a quick turn and a profit.

As far as ride...my fussy son, who's passion is Mark VII LSC's, says the '64 rides like a newer car. Wider wheels, not too much pressure in the tires, suspension up to snuff and rear springs that still have some 'spring' in them are the keys to the comfy ride. The '88 rides differently but not necessarily better. The super flexible GM 'G' body frame adds some jiggles and shakes that are thankfully missing in the 64. They ride better than any older Corvette I've driven and on par with stuff from the 80's.

As long as the interior is not an odd color, I thought I read in one of John's posts it was black, you can paint it whatever color you like.

Looking forward to updates.

ErnieR

JDP
09-13-2010, 10:56 PM
The trans thing is a fairly complicated project if I'm not mistaken. The input shafts need to be swapped along with the tailshaft and housing if memory serves.

I've never driven a car old or new that isn't hot in the summer if the air is off. Insulate the floors, make sure the holes in the firewall have their assorted grommets in place, hood seal intact and check the boot for the shifter.

I can understand the appeal of the II's but as you get newer the mish-mosh of parts, the lack of electrical schematics, leaky sunroofs, funky deck lid racks, weak frames etc. can easily overcome the appeal of the small block. Since the engine and transmission are not particularly problematic on the Stude the Chevy is only an advantage if you want to build a hot rod and you know as well as I once you start doing that say goodbye to a quick turn and a profit.

As far as ride...my fussy son, who's passion is Mark VII LSC's, says the '64 rides like a newer car. Wider wheels, not too much pressure in the tires, suspension up to snuff and rear springs that still have some 'spring' in them are the keys to the comfy ride. The '88 rides differently but not necessarily better. The super flexible GM 'G' body frame adds some jiggles and shakes that are thankfully missing in the 64. They ride better than any older Corvette I've driven and on par with stuff from the 80's.

As long as the interior is not an odd color, I thought I read in one of John's posts it was black, you can paint it whatever color you like.

Looking forward to updates.

ErnieR

The trashed interior was fawn, the one I installed from the parts car is blue.N8 wanted me to spray dye them, but the new owner car do that if he wants. I should have car pics tomorrow. The car is now yellow, but the paint needs to be stripped.

StudeDave57
09-14-2010, 12:30 AM
I (maybe) outta stay outta this one,
but if it was my cash-- investment or not--

I'd think that your $10K would go a long way on the projects you already have!!!

I'd spend it on those before trying out an Avanti...

but that's just my opinion. :rolleyes: :eek: ;)

More smiles per mile--

SEDANS (AND WAGONS) RULE!!!

candbstudebakers
09-14-2010, 12:36 AM
Bob, Dick Linsey in Ohio has a nice looking 79 I think, and it is for sale , just been painted and is Red, he is a friend of Dave's (Barn Lark)

Bob Andrews
09-14-2010, 04:44 AM
I (maybe) outta stay outta this one,

Not so Dave. Your thoughts are as welcome as anyone's!

I get your point, and I will be messing with the Provincial, but time is still going to be a factor for me. But mostly I won't have the 'keeper' money to spend in any large amount. I'd mostly love to get going on my Skytop, but I can not spend the money I need to do it how I want, so I hope to make a buck on something else to spend on keepers. For so many years Linda has been nothing but supportive of me, and it's time to get that wagon going for her. Really all I'm going to be doing is brakes and tires, tune, whatever else it needs to drive some, and a quickie sand-and-paint. Even that will run into money. Hopefully I can have an Avanti for a while and make a few bucks in the end to put into the wagon.

I guess the point is, that money is not "my" money- that is, it is mine, but it's pledged to business inventory. So it has to go into something to resell. If I had $10K to spend on myself, I'd love to make progress on the Skytop. But I don't, so this is how I'm trying to combine my living and my hobby. Time will tell if that's the right plan...
Thanks for your input!

Bob Andrews
09-14-2010, 04:47 AM
Bob, Dick Linsey in Ohio has a nice looking 79 I think, and it is for sale , just been painter and is Red, he is a friend of Dave's (Barn Lark)

Thanks Bob, I'll keep that one in mind, but a 63-4 is my first choice.

Bob Andrews
09-14-2010, 05:14 AM
The trashed interior was fawn, the one I installed from the parts car is blue.N8 wanted me to spray dye them, but the new owner car do that if he wants. I should have car pics tomorrow. The car is now yellow, but the paint needs to be stripped.

Ohh no, yellow?? Can't say as I've ever seen a YELLOW Avanti... and I'm glad of it... could that be a factory choice, and if so WHY?? <GG> Hard to imagine a worse color from a saleability standpoint:( I was hoping for an external repaint for a driver, not a car that needs to be completely disassembled for a repaint:p

Tough call; that car has a ton going for it, but if it needs a teardown and color change... I guess the pictures will tell the story <fingers crossed>

StudeDave57
09-14-2010, 10:47 AM
I've gotta stop posting so late at night!!! :rolleyes:

I meant to add-- there was an Avanti f/s at last weekend's Can-AM Zone Meet.
I'm not in the market, so I didn't look at it, sorry I have no details...

Maybe one of the dozen (or more) ForumFolks who were there did and do :confused:

StudeDave '57 :cool:

JDP
09-14-2010, 12:50 PM
Ohh no, yellow?? Can't say as I've ever seen a YELLOW Avanti... and I'm glad of it... could that be a factory choice, and if so WHY?? <GG> Hard to imagine a worse color from a saleability standpoint:( I was hoping for an external repaint for a driver, not a car that needs to be completely disassembled for a repaint:p

Tough call; that car has a ton going for it, but if it needs a teardown and color change... I guess the pictures will tell the story <fingers crossed>

Forget this Avanti than, if it was just faded factory paint that need a fresh squirt, I'd paint it myself. This one would needs the door jams and under hood painted too. Very few Avanti's like that in your 10K budget that don't have mechncal or hog trough ssues. BTW, brakes and tires are brand new.

Bob Andrews
09-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Fair enough John, now I know. But that doesn't rule it out, just clarifies the questions- like is it the factory color, and if not what is, is there body damage, how are the troughs. I'm sure the pictures will answer that. I'll get right back to you as soon as I see them.

I've never known you to be anything but honest and fair, and you know me to be realistic. I'm not expecting a show car from something you referred to as a 'turd'<G>

tluz
09-14-2010, 03:57 PM
Yellow was never a factory color on Studebaker Avantis. 63s came in black, white, red, gold, gray, and turquoise. 64s added maroon. Pain info available here:

http://www.theavanti.com/paint_colors.htm

Bob Andrews
09-14-2010, 04:45 PM
Thanks, never knew of that site. I'll be looking through it for sure...

sbca96
09-15-2010, 11:22 AM
Ohh no, yellow?? Can't say as I've ever seen a YELLOW Avanti... and I'm glad of it... could that be a factory choice, and if so WHY?? <GG> Hard to imagine a worse color from a saleability standpoint

Yellow really so bad? Its the color of choice on the modern GTO, and makes
the styling "pop", the Corvette also uses this shade :

http://emperorjordan.com/sbca96ftp/images/Misc_car/GTO_n_Avanti_005a.jpg

Dan painted the 'bucket list' Avanti yellow :

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o50/twnchgr/BLD4.jpg

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p56/dieselguy2006/San%20Migel%20Car%20Show%208-28-10/DSCF2595.jpg

You might consider repainting it with GTO/Corvette yellow, its also similar to
BumbleBee from the Transformers movies.

Tom

studegary
09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
Any car with poor body panel fit should be a dark color.

bige
09-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Are you watching this one? Interesting equipment, wholesome looking car.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230525975335&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Bob Andrews
09-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Yellow really so bad?

I think so, Tom. I like yellow personally, and it looks right on the cars you mention, but I just don't see it on a stock, street driven Avanti. At all.

Turns out the subject car is a very light yellow, almost tan (see the thread). Better, but still not right to my eye. Remember, I'm not able to keep it, so I have to think of what color will make it the most saleable. Maybe folks will look at it and give an opinion on what color it shold be with those blue seats. Don't yet know what the original color was, but that will be at the top of the list.

Bob Andrews
09-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Are you watching this one? Interesting equipment, wholesome looking car.

Yes, I am. Biggest downer is the 3-speed trans:p We'll see what it does in the next week-plus.

JDP
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
If it was my car, I'd do the dark 64 Lark/Hawk dark,metallic blue or the factory turquoise, maybe even white.

Milaca
09-15-2010, 10:44 PM
If it was my car, I'd do the dark 64 Lark/Hawk dark,metallic blue or the factory turquoise, maybe even white.

Dark metallic blue may be nice...or mix it with factory turquoise and have dark turquoise? Check out the medium gulf stream blue used on 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix Daytona Pace cars as it is dark metallic blue with a touch of green. I think it would look great on an Avanti.

Chantony
09-16-2010, 11:08 AM
The GTO yellow is called " Devil Yellow" in Australia where the GTO's were built.We call them " Monaros" down under and they do look hot in yellow.
Not sure how the color would look on an Avanti,but I'm sure it would stand out from the crowd.

bige
09-16-2010, 09:08 PM
Yes, I am. Biggest downer is the 3-speed trans:p We'll see what it does in the next week-plus.

I don't see the 3 speed as a minus at all...

Should make an easy conversion to a 4 speed if desired and in reality the road tests of the era didn't think much of the 4 speed's gear spacing. In fact out of all the tests I read the Powershift was quicker. The 3 speed may be the sleeper. Also, would an overdrive Stude trans be adaptable? That would make for a fun driver.

I KNOW you can drive a stick;)

After the continuing, to this day ( cracked flexplate ), saga of issues with my 200 4R swap a manual with o/d seems like the best of all worlds.

ErnieR

Bob Andrews
09-16-2010, 09:55 PM
=bige;488770]I KNOW you can drive a stick;)

True- but again, I'm talking saleability. Remember, this car would be for resale, not for me to keep. Someday maybe. So I'd think a 3-speed stick would be the least appealing to buyers.

If it was a keeper, I'd follor Tom R's excellent thread and convert it to a TREMEC 5-speed:)

studegary
09-17-2010, 01:38 PM
I can only remember driving one Avanti with three speed. I remember it as being a nice car, except that IIRC it did not have power steering.
I don't think that they installed overdrive in them. I think that it was a space issue. If OD fits a Lark convertible, it should fit an Avanti (famous last words).

N8N
09-17-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought that the reason that OD was not available was that the 3-speed used was the T-86 and there were concerns about the R-10 overdrive unit having durability challenges when mated to the Avanti engines. Why they did not use the T-85 I don't know; *that* might be the space issue. It's bad enough wrangling a T-10 out of an Avanti without a lift, helper, and trans stand; I certainly wouldn't look forward to a clutch job on an Avanti (or Wagonaire or convertible for that matter) with a T-85/OD...

nate

sbca96
09-17-2010, 01:57 PM
The GTO yellow is called " Devil Yellow" in Australia where the GTO's were built.We call them " Monaros" down under and they do look hot in yellow. Not sure how the color would look on an Avanti,but I'm sure it would stand out from the crowd.

Here in the States they called it "Yellow Jacket", in reference to the Bee. I'd
thought it was called the same down under.

True- but again, I'm talking saleability. Remember, this car would be for resale, not for me to keep. Someday maybe. So I'd think a 3-speed stick would be the least appealing to buyers.

If it was a keeper, I'd follor Tom R's excellent thread and convert it to a TREMEC 5-speed:)

Yes and No .. as a driver - YES . that trans sucks in every way, but as a true
collectable (in low production numbers) the 3 spd is the lowest of lows, with
I belive ONLY 60 or so production models made.

Yes .. the conversion to a 5 spd TKO was around $1000 dollars - not bad.

Tom

bige
09-17-2010, 03:57 PM

Might be a good topic for a new thread...

4 speed being the most desirable, Powershift the most common (and with the boring 1st gear start) a savvy Avanti buyer might see the possibilities with this particular 3 speed car. I would agree if the 3 speed were also a base car with no p/s or air but this car has the goodies. Drive for awhile and keep your eyes peeled for a 4 speed and "include" it in the sale but don't do the installation. You know as well as I more old car sales are made on what the car can be vs. what it really is.

Ultimately it depends on the final price. If there are a few people that feel as I do this car might do 15K

ErnieR

Bob Andrews
09-17-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm watching it, Ernie. What would be crazier than an Avanti in the shop? TWO Avantis!:)

bige
09-17-2010, 05:19 PM
I'm watching it, Ernie. What would be crazier than an Avanti in the shop? TWO Avantis!:)
Crazy for sure. There are two in my garage right now both with "issues". The el camino and the new yorker have been my toys for the summer. Sold the meteor. I just wasn't in love.

I believe now one Avanti would have been enough.