PDA

View Full Version : truck ID info

Kevin B
09-12-2010, 04:04 PM
I recently got a 49 Stude truck. The guy I got it from had one restored and the one he sold me he never got around to. It has no paperwork, so I have to apply for a lost Title. He gave me an ID plate that was not attached but said it goes to my truck. He also gave me an old Stude V8 engine. The info on the plate he gave me is:
MODEL - 2R - C2
CAB NO 72860
TRIM NO T-6038
PAINT NO P-2248
There is a serial number plate on the drivers side seat riser with the following info:
10 T3563
Can someone enlighten me to the breakdown of the codes above. Best I can tell from my searching it is a 1949 Studebaker 2R10 3/4 ton. It has a complete flathead 6 engine with all equipment attached. IE: carb, oil bath breather, generator, fuel pump with glass filters on pump and carb, coil, dist, water pump, fan, belts, pulleys, all there. Waiting for some attention. I say a 3/4 ton because of the 16" offset split rims, heavy duty rear axle, and the double set of leaf springs on the rear.
Any help on the codes would be a really big help.
Thanks
kevin

Skip Lackie
09-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Somethng doesn't compute. The plate he gave you is the cab ID plate from a 2R model truck, which were made from 1949 to 1953. Stude made about 100,000 1949 model 2R trucks, so the plate with cab number 72860 probably did indeed come from a 49 truck. C2 means it was a standard (as opposed to deluxe) cab. The rest of the info indicates the colors, though I could not identify P-2248. P-2243 would have been midnight blue.

2R model trucks came with serial numbers that began with the letter R, as in R10-1234. The number after the R indicates the tonnage and model number. The rest is a serial number. The 10T ID plate does not match Stude usage, at least for post-War trucks (Stude did build some T series trucks before the War). Is the serial plate stamped with "The Studebaker Corporation"? Is it possible that the 10T ID plate was issued by a state DMV to identify a truck with a lost serial number plate?

studegary
09-13-2010, 02:01 PM
73K cabs out of 100K for 1949-1953 seems like too high of a numer for a 1949. I do not have the actual breakdown of S/Ns here.

Perhaps your S/N of "T3563" is really 13563. Remember that Studebaker used an I for a 1.

Dwain G.
09-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Probably the 'T' you saw is actually an 'I'. Studebaker used a capitol letter 'I' to represent the numeral '1'. If so, this would make the serial number 13563, and that would be a legitimate 1949 2R10 serial number. Sometimes the stamping isn't uniformly deep.
As Skip said, the paint code is probably 2243.
The trim code 6038 is that brown color on the glove box door, around the gauges, on the upper door panels, etc. It's called Cuban Tan.

Kevin B
09-14-2010, 08:53 PM
Somethng doesn't compute. The plate he gave you is the cab ID plate from a 2R model truck, which were made from 1949 to 1953. Stude made about 100,000 1949 model 2R trucks, so the plate with cab number 72860 probably did indeed come from a 49 truck. C2 means it was a standard (as opposed to deluxe) cab. The rest of the info indicates the colors, though I could not identify P-2248. P-2243 would have been midnight blue.

2R model trucks came with serial numbers that began with the letter R, as in R10-1234. The number after the R indicates the tonnage and model number. The rest is a serial number. The 10T ID plate does not match Stude usage, at least for post-War trucks (Stude did build some T series trucks before the War). Is the serial plate stamped with "The Studebaker Corporation"? Is it possible that the 10T ID plate was issued by a state DMV to identify a truck with a lost serial number plate?

Thank you gentlemen very much for rsponding to my questions. I have a couple of pictures of the cab plate and the S/N plate. I took the pic with a 10 mg pixel camera and zoomed in on the image and the "T" after close inspection could be and I can see where it is an "I". On furthur inspection I can see the faint image of the middle part of a R in front of the 10. So I can see it being R10 13563. I hope it isn't something I'm trying to see and not acyually seeing. On the cab ID plate the plate had a like a white out brushed over the letters and numbers and then traced over with a red marker. Cleaning the red off the paint # and looking with a magnifer and zoom on the image the 8 is actually a 3. So the paint no is P 2243. I can e-mail the pics of the truck and ID tag pics if you would like. They are 10 meg ea so it will be a big file.
Anyway with the info you supplied I am better able to make a determination of the info at hand. Am I thinking correct that the R10 is a 3/4 ton truck? Based on the springs, axle and rims I can't see it being anything less.
Thanks again to you "PRO'S" for input and help!
Kevin

StudeRich
09-14-2010, 09:41 PM
Yes it is a 3/4 ton Truck, however it is not a 245 c.i.d. Commander Big six engine, it is the small Champion 6 flathead 169 c.i.d. Engine.

ST2DE5
09-14-2010, 09:55 PM
If the higher number is tonage. How come my 49 trucks is a 2R12?

cowboy willy
09-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Hi Kevin I too also bought a 51 dually stude truck..I am having a hard time finding any info on it..Think mine is a 1 1/2 ton ..dual wheels ,, split shift and pto,,I do have a little info on it if you give me the wheel base from front hubs to back hubs I narrow it down for U.. Cowboy

StudeRich
09-15-2010, 03:52 PM
Welcome Cowboy! If you are not an SDC Member you can sign up right here at the top of the page at a 1st. year discount and receive our Turning Wheels Monthly Publication, one of the best Car Club Pubs. out there! :)

Cowboy; thanks for the offer but we have the knowledgeable Truck people right here and have already told Kevin what model he has.

Kevin; the model # R-10, 11, 12 is a COMBINATION of Engine size AND Weight! Studebaker never officially stated the weight (3/4, 1 Ton etc.) on the model codes because the data plate includes the weight rating of the actual axle and springs installed in the Truck, since there were several options on the heavier Trucks, a 1 1/2 Ton for instance, could have 2 Ton springs and axle.

Kevin B
09-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Welcome Cowboy! If you are not an SDC Member you can sign up right here at the top of the page at a 1st. year discount and receive our Turning Wheels Monthly Publication, one of the best Car Club Pubs. out there! :)

Cowboy; thanks for the offer but we have the knowledgeable Truck people right here and have already told Kevin what model he has.

Kevin; the model # R-10, 11, 12 is a COMBINATION of Engine size AND Weight! Studebaker never officially stated the weight (3/4, 1 Ton etc.) on the model codes because the data plate includes the weight rating of the actual axle and springs installed in the Truck, since there were several options on the heavier Trucks, a 1 1/2 Ton for instance, could have 2 Ton springs and axle.

Thanks so much again for the info. I think I have enough to apply for a title. I ride a Harley and always say what a family group we are, you Stude guys are are of the same cut.
Thanks to all for your time and knowledge. I'm sure I will be frequenting this site for info alot in the future!!
Kevin