Clear All

WOW !
    ....any story behind this ?
    sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Wow what a collection taken on August 26 2010. Looks like Virginia. Lots of neat Studebakers there.
      Mabel 1949 Champion
      Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
      Gus 1958 Transtar
      The Prez 1955 President State
      Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
      Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
      Fresno,Ca

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Davis View Post
        Here are two links to some photos I took of a pile of Studebakers.
        That is quite a collection of vehicles. There are some interesting ones; '54 C/K, '56 GH and a '57-'60 Hawk that is a K body but does not appear to be a GH.

I expected to see "a pile of Studebakers" like when they used to pile them four or five high in junkyards.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Think I've seen these too; Are these the ones located in Elkton, Virginia?

Joe D.

Comment

Yes Joe. I am sure you have seen these before. I saw your car again the other day when I was at RiteAid.
            Beautiful!!!!!!!!!. I have lived within miles of these cars all my life. It was not until recently that I had the opportunity to see them. The owner collected the cars and parts all his life, he has now passed away. I did buy the '53 K body shown in a couple of the photos. It was an impulse buy, now I am not sure what I will do with it.

Comment

I am happy that it was not really a "pile" of Studebakers.

What is the story on the '37 Coupe Express? That one will have me lying awake at night...dreaming!
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The '37 Coupe Express is owned by the deceased owners son. I was given access to these cars by the deceased owner's daughter. The daughter had expressed to me the desire to " get rid" of everything there so that the real estate could be sold. To the best of my knowledge, the daughter owns the '62 GT, the '55 Commander and the '50 sedan. She sold me the '53 K body, so I assume that was also hers. I believe that she is the administrator of the estate, so removing the cars seems to be her responsibility.

Comment

It still amazes me that collections like this keep surfacing today. Hopefully they all find good homes.
                  Tom
                  sigpic

Comment

Just my opinion, but keeping great cars like this stashed away to rust into the ground is worse than sending them to crusher. At least with the crusher the metal gets reused. Given the opportunity, many of these cars could have been put back on the road years ago. There are still some savable cars and trucks there but the ones in the outside shed appear to be too far gone. What a shame.
                    Pat Dilling
                    Olivehurst, CA
                    Custom '53 Starlight aka STU COOL

LS1 Engine Swap Journal: http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jour...ournalid=33611

Comment

PM sent re: the GT.
                      Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                      Romans 15:13
                      Deuteronomy 31:6
                      Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

That red and black '55 Commander was pretty striking...

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

That's not a '62 GT, it's a late '63 R-1 with A/C! Obviously, Bob Andrews picked up on that too. Looks very restorable...Russ Farris
                          Last edited by maxpower1954; 09-12-2010, 07:56 PM.
                          1963 GT Hawk R-2 4-speed
                          1964 Avanti R-1 Auto

Comment

I saw these a couple of years ago and was dying to buy sheet metal or even a parts car to help in my restoration. No go. The son
                            was not ready to sell anything at that time, and the sister was not available. As you said, it looks like ownership is split between them.
                            I'm glad she/they are finally ready to sell; Figures,,, now that I don't need anything anymore. Stephen, glad you got that 53;
                            I was drolling over that one when I saw it.. would have bought it too. This is a collection worth seeing.

Joe D.

Comment

It looks like a pair of rough but possibly restorable Golden Hawks & an interesting Mopar hardtop. They are too far away for me and I have better projects here that I will never get to, though, because I am already...

Comment

Working...
                              X