See Details of a Brand New 53 Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• See Details of a Brand New 53 Stude

I have 51 photos that were taken by General Motors of a 53 Champion 4 door sedan. They dismantled the whole car and shot photos of almost every detail of the body construction. It is too bad that they didn't use a K body. All the photos are on this Photobucket site:

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

They also did the same thing to a 52 Ford. Here are just a few of the shots:

Does anyone know what that device is on the back of the tranny?

Leonard Shepherd, editor, The Commanding Leader, Central Virginia Chapter, http://centralvirginiachapter.org/

Wonder what their purpose was?

Comment

Any idea of the reason Leonard? other than to see what
      or how Studebaker did things....looks just like my former
      1953, without the 2 extra doors....love the pinstrip seat
      covers....I still have some the oringinal fabric around
      here somewhere.

glen Brose
      Between Perkinsville
      and Chino Valley AZ.

Comment

Everyone does it, see Bob Palma's comments on seeing Studebaker do the same with competitors cars. i.e. Studebaker spent some quality time with the Caddy V8 in 1949.

64 Commander-64 Daytona
        64 GT R2 clone-63 GT R2
        63 Avanti R1
        63 Daytona convert-63
        63 Lark 2 door
        62 Lark 2 door
        60 Lark HT-60Hawk
        59 3E truck
        52 & 53 Starliner
        51 Commander

JDP Maryland

Comment

I believe it was a way of learning what the competition was doing. Seem to recall reading of rooms with huge tables on which competitors vehicles were displayed so GM or Ford or whoever could study them to see what made them "tick." Should imagine they were reassembled and test driven too.

John Clements
          Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
          Lockleys South Australia
          John Clements
          Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Hi
            The purpose was to examine how all the competing makers did things, cost out their cars to compare how much they were competitive. I'm sure they also looked for ideas that more cost affective that could be applied to their own production.
            Every automaker did what is pictured, everyone had to gauge how well they were doing in comparison to the others.

One story in an older issue of Special Interest Auto related that after the examinations were completed, the cars were reassembled, but without the assembly specs. They were then sold to used car dealers around Detroit. No doubt some folks got a deal on a car the later turned out to be something of a lemon.

Steve

Comment

Interesting pictures! I took a look at the other ones and seems like they didn't wash the car as there is mud on the frame and rocker panels. What does that card in the back of the open glove box say on it? I tried to zoom in on it but its too blurry.

I am a design engineer and we do the same thing today on competitors products. When starting a new project we will acquire samples of what others are doing so we can get ideas (good and bad).

Jeff in ND

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 56H-Y6

One story in an older issue of Special Interest Auto related that after the examinations were completed, the cars were reassembled, but without the assembly specs.
                Steve
                Competitors aren't the only ones who will strip a car to the last nut and bolt. The Law has the authority to do the same to any car if it suspected of being involved in criminal activity, such as hiding illegal substances, ala "The French Connection". And don't expect your car to be re-assembled when they are done, even if nothing is found[:0]

Craig

Comment

quote:What does that card in the back of the open glove box say on it? I tried to zoom in on it but its too blurry.

Jeff in ND
                  It is a 1953 MICHIGAN CERTIFICATE OF REGISTRATION. I have tried reading it with a jeweler's loop, but still can't make out all of it. It says Studebaker 4dr. sedan

It is registered to Fisher Body Division, General Motors Corporation.

I wish I could make out the serial number so I could get the build sheet and see if it went to a dealer.

Comment

I do not think there is a tranny! It looks like some kind of test fixture in the input shaft hole in the clutch! The clutch housing is visible, but NOT the tranny!

quote:Originally posted by lstude

Does anyone know what that device is on the back of the tranny?
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

After they took apart the cars, the engineers wrote reports on each one. I remember reading one quote from a GM paper about how crudely the '53 Stude was designed, produced and assembled and the poor quality of the interior. They estimated they could build the same car for 20% less cost, at a higher quality and finish, if it were produced on their lines at the same volume as GM cars.

thnx, jv.

PackardV8
                      PackardV8

Comment

I have a 1956 Service Manual that has "rubber stamped" pages
                        Property General Motors Research Laboratory.

Every manufacturer grabbed whatever they could of the competition, from cars, service manuals, service bulletins, to ads. All for the sole purpose of seeing if they were missing the boat, or if they were ahead.

Sort of what the Allies did during WWII, reverse engineering. Even the Russians copied piece by piece a captured B-29.

BG

Comment

Leonard, i went thru every picture(all 987 of them) and it says a lot about who you are, geez we are so much alike, I could tell you like all cars, not just Studes,like drag racing, Factory photos, customs. You have several cars, toys.
                          I've never met you but i sure feel like i have now.

101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

quote:Leonard, i went thru every picture(all 987 of them) and it says a lot about who you are, geez we are so much alike, I could tell you like all cars, not just Studes,like drag racing, Factory photos, customs. You have several cars, toys.
                            I've never met you but i sure feel like i have now.
                            Thank you. I would like to meet you too. I have been collecting photos, factory and snap shots, parts, cars, post cards for years. My favorite pictures are the snap shots where people used to pose by their cars. I have a collection of most all cars. I will post some of my picture books later.

I really like your Conestoga too. I see your 64 on the members Studebakers, but I don't see your Conestoga.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

quote:Originally posted by avantilover

I believe it was a way of learning what the competition was doing. Seem to recall reading of rooms with huge tables on which competitors vehicles were displayed so GM or Ford or whoever could study them to see what made them "tick." Should imagine they were reassembled and test driven too.

Here's a photo from the inside front cover of a 1965 'X-Ray' booklet that was handed out by American Motors that compared their products with the competition. They made no secret about tearing down competitor's cars....

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X